detroyer VS. destroyer EX

Started by millipede, January 04, 2011, 07:57:11 PM

millipede

whats the difference between these two? walmart sells the EX's for 2 bucks and pyramydair has the regular destroyers for twice as much online. is one a heavier grain than the other or what? why are the destroyers more expensive than the EX's? and which one came first??? have any of you shot the regular destroyers?

they shoot pretty good out of my 1377 so i always buy every tin that walmart has when i go there. they are a seriously wicked looking little bullet and expand really really well. ive compared them to the daisy and crosman premier hollowpoints and those barely expand at all. and the daisy hollowpoints shoot like *******.

just for fun i took a picture of the destroyer EX and its expansion characteristics at different power levels. its a pretty neat visual of what its doing as it rips through its target  

stitch

i can't realy help with your question.
but if you also want to shoot a bit accurat, try jsb predator or beenman crowmagnum.

arkmaker †

Great pics!
I have a tin of these that I've never tried. Guess now I'll have to dig them out and put a few down range.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

packrat

Since I ran COMPLETELY out of Air Arms .177 pellets, I needed some to carry me over until my PA order gets here....so I bought a $2.00 tin of the Destroyer EX's from walmart..I'm amazed at how accurate they are!!!! other than about 1 out of 20 being a "flier", the pellets are good for pellet-on-pellet @ 20 yards with my HPA .177 caliber converted AS2250 !!  SERIOUSLY !!  and @ two bucks for 250 pellets, welll it's the DEAL OF THE DAY !! Next trip to WallyWorld, I'll being out their entire shelf inventory :-* :-* :-* . I just shot 100 of them a little while ago, (it's 62 degrees here :D ) and I was WAY happy with them..The Air Arms I shoot in that gun are $10.99 for 500 tin...they get shipped for FREE since rest of order is tins of 15.9 JSB's..but still..are 5 1/2 times as much as the Crosman's..BUT they DO NOT have "fliers" all those pellets go for the same hole, so I pays my money and I be's happy ;D ;D ;D

AA S410,FAC,.22,Carbine- 1740,10", "hot" valve-BIG FUN !-.177 TalonSS in BLUE
"HEY !! This gettin' old thing is NOT for sissies !"  -Packrat, Georgia, USA.

SaiCo

I think the EX stands for "extra" the tins from PA have a 250 count, and the wally woild tin has 300. But what I want to know is: why does the EX have what appears to be an extra bit of lead. The PA destroyers kinda look like wadcutters in profile, but the EX looks like it has a ring, just before the skirt.
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection

ayerstg

Quotewhats the difference between these two?

Mass, alloy, precise shape, and possibly overall quality?   ???

Had the exact same question come up a few weeks ago and they did not seem to be the same pellet.  The Destroyers have been very accurate in almost every pistol or rifle we have.  The Destroyer EX have not been tried yet in all the a.g. so will withhold judgement on them, but grossly they seem to shoot at least OK in some of the a.g.  However they did not appear to be exactly the same pellet on closer inspection. 

Here is a very interesting post 3 APR 2010 in the old GTA Bargain Gate (now archives), complete with pictures:

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.com/airguns/index.php/topic,25845.0.html

I have a bunch of Destroyers; Medic has a bunch of Destroyer EX.  Just now quickly tossed a few of the Destroyers on the scale and they are a hair under 8.0 gr; for the moment say 7.9+ or 8.0-  I will check a bit more accurately tonight and ask Medic to bring over some EX so we're using the same scale.

Summary of what the GTA post showed: 

Destroyer 250 / tin 8.0 gr well formed probably pure lead
Destroyer EX 7.4 gr 300 / tin odd die marks compared to originals probably lead alloy. 

Some alleged differences in group sizes but there are so many variables on that, I'd be cautious making a decision based on a couple of experiences because YMMV.

Tom
Custom Shop 2400; 1377 -> custom 2289; 1377 -> custom 1389; Sheridan Blue Streak (all bronze); Quest 800; Quest 1000, Win 363; RWS M38; RWS M24; Browning 800 Mag

T191032

Quote from: SaiCo on May 26, 2011, 11:35:21 AM
I think the EX stands for "extra" the tins from PA have a 250 count, and the wally woild tin has 300. But what I want to know is: why does the EX have what appears to be an extra bit of lead. The PA destroyers kinda look like wadcutters in profile, but the EX looks like it has a ring, just before the skirt.

If that was the case, then I got cheated outta 50.  My tin reads "Destroyer EX" 250 ct .177 cal.  On the plus side, tried them the other day out of the 1740, group sizes :

0.658", 0.595", 1.41", 1.193" = average 0.964" @ 10 Meters, benched, Crosman Custom Shop 1740 Target
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Daysailer

I have found the Destroyer EX's from Wally World to be surprisingly accurate.  Never had any luck with pointy types before. They are $2.47 here last two times I picked some up for my plinking.  Labeled for 250 count and counted 260 in one tin.

When weighing them I have found only a 0.2 grain differnce lightest to heavyest. 7.36-7.54 gr.

RWS Basics are .4gr spread.   7.0 - 7.3
RWS Miesterkulgen pistols are  6.98 - 7.11, about half come in at 7.00-7.04

Size seems to be as consistant as the Basics, and not quite as good as the Miester's

Only gripe, is they are graphite coated so, fingers tips get a bit blackened.  Just reminds
me to wash the graphite and lead off after shooting.

Adjust the wind, we cannot.....Adjust our sails (or windage), we should.

millipede

even if they did totally suck i would still probably buy all of them everytime i go to walmart like i do now. the price just cant be beat! i have thousands of them now and i hardly ever shoot because its always raining  LOL

1377x

nice pics
what did you recover the pellets from? ???
i use ex's went through several thousand plinking and pesting
i think ill try some in my 357 see what happens to my HOSP problem
closed mouths dont get fed

millipede

i just shot them into wet clay. they stayed in there for a while until i cleaned them out. thats why they look so oxidized.  the ones on the end (the most deformed ones) i was only able to get after installing a flat top piston.

i really wish these came in .22 caliber!!   right now i cant justify spending the money on polymags or crow-magnums since i just dont do any real hunting

Madkoifish

I got a mess of them from wallyworld and they shoot ok out of my modified pc77, the groups are much larger than the CPHP. About 2X the grouping. Prices were $2 but have now gone up to 2.45 or more. I have to go back to the store that sold them at $2 might still be that price. All the tins I have gotten at wallyworld are 250count.

They are also really loose. CPHP I can feel the stock bolt pushing the pellet into the barrel. These just fall in. MEasuring them they are a few thousands smaller.

millipede

well i finally got some actual destroyer from pyramydair. i did some chrony readings and expansion comparisons by shooting them into water.

i shot them out of my slightly modified benji 397. havent done accuracy testing with them. to get a good comparison between the two i would need a scope and i dont have one on my 397.

heres some pics of the expansion. i have them lined up going left to right showing them at 5-6-7-8 pumps plus their corresponding velocity...

millipede

personally i like the destroyer EX better. the shape seems a bit more aerodynamic and they dont fall apart at higher velocities like the destroyers. or i guess i should say they dont fall apart "as fast as" the regular destroyers. ive shot them at over 900 fps and the ring strips of them only then..

i just wish they were a little heavier...

SaiCo

Quote from: millipede on October 05, 2011, 10:16:17 PM
well i finally got some actual destroyer from pyramydair. i did some chrony readings and expansion comparisons by shooting them into water.

i shot them out of my slightly modified benji 397. havent done accuracy testing with them. to get a good comparison between the two i would need a scope and i dont have one on my 397.

heres some pics of the expansion. i have them lined up going left to right showing them at 5-6-7-8 pumps plus their corresponding velocity...

Great post! I'm surprised at how well the EX stays together. Too bad the EX is lighter.
Warning labels thwart the purpose of Natural Selection