Rear sight for Crosman steel breech

Started by 7624452, November 16, 2012, 09:48:42 PM

droid

Quote from: 1377x on December 09, 2012, 05:22:47 PM
someone used to sell a brass rear sight cant recall who though
droid your good at greaing wheels im sure you could get one sourced ;D ;D ;)

Mr Stace makes one in brass, not seen one anywhere else. Not seen any ally ones either.

I bet Anthony could make some easy  ;)

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

1377x

Quote from: droid on December 09, 2012, 05:59:26 PM
Mr Stace makes one in brass, not seen one anywhere else. Not seen any ally ones either.

I bet Anthony could make some easy  ;)

Gary
there is someone other than stace that makes one i want to say airgunsmith but dont think thats who
its an old timer that isnt around any longer maybe rj machine
remember the memberthat made a nice rear sight from scratch not long ago around the spring summer time here
i think the blog spot might tell about the brass rear sights .i just can not remember
closed mouths dont get fed

Iagent

Grant Stace makes a nice brass one, but when he does a run, they go fast.
Crosman makes the next best thing, and it is for their notched out breech.  It's the lpa mim.  this lpa is good for my aging eyes.
Shoot safely. Have fun.

droid

Quote from: Iagent on December 10, 2012, 07:51:25 PM
Grant Stace makes a nice brass one, but when he does a run, they go fast.
Crosman makes the next best thing, and it is for their notched out breech.  It's the lpa mim.  this lpa is good for my aging eyes.

I just like the classic look on some of my guns, I think I will get some made up over here in the UK.

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

I received my Williams WGRS-54 rear sight and an extra fire sight aperture today.  It works perfect on my backpacker with a 760 fiber optic front sight.  I also tried it on my 1322 with Chavka sighted barrel band and it worked perfect on that one also.  The sight is very well made and seems to be exactly the right size for the Crosman steel breech.  The only slight problem is that the set screw goes into the dovetail notch and is a bit too short.  All I have to do is get a longer set screw next time I'm at the hardware store.
Stranded in California.

YSYEO

The firesight looks good on there.  Do you have a link for it?

Stranded in California.

chongman

Quote from: 7624452 on December 11, 2012, 12:55:32 AM
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/wgrs.htm

Followed your link...that's the 70919 Fire Sight Ghost Ring Aperture $9.95 right?

When you get the longer set/grub screw can you please post the size?
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Quote from: chongman on December 11, 2012, 01:47:58 AM
Followed your link...that's the 70919 Fire Sight Ghost Ring Aperture $9.95 right?

When you get the longer set/grub screw can you please post the size?
Correct. Shipping was $3.95.  I saw this after I already ordered the sight from Midway.  If you need the sight and the extra aperture both it probably would be cost effective to order them both from the factory store.   I'll post the size when I get the screw.
Stranded in California.

chongman

Quote from: 7624452 on December 11, 2012, 02:19:33 AM
Correct. Shipping was $3.95.  I saw this after I already ordered the sight from Midway.  If you need the sight and the extra aperture both it probably would be cost effective to order them both from the factory store.   I'll post the size when I get the screw.

Thank you sir  :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

droid

Quote from: 7624452 on December 11, 2012, 12:15:15 AM
I received my Williams WGRS-54 rear sight and an extra fire sight aperture today.  It works perfect on my backpacker with a 760 fiber optic front sight.  I also tried it on my 1322 with Chavka sighted barrel band and it worked perfect on that one also.  The sight is very well made and seems to be exactly the right size for the Crosman steel breech.  The only slight problem is that the set screw goes into the dovetail notch and is a bit too short.  All I have to do is get a longer set screw next time I'm at the hardware store.

I am liking that one  :-*

Gary
www.ratbuster.co.uk

BDS

Quote from: 7624452 on December 11, 2012, 02:19:33 AM

Well done, thx for that info and report Art  :-*
Brian

M2

The mounting grub screw supplied by Williams with the WGRS-54 rear sight appears to be a 8-36 x 3/16(.1875)" cup point socket (headless) set screw (with a 5/64" Allen wrench socket). I haven't been able to find longer 8-36 set screws at my local hardware stores or gunsmiths.

It looks like what is needed is about an 8-36 x 9/32(.2812)" version of the same style screw, but I haven't been able to find that size listed anywhere online either, except apparently on some obscure Leica lens (fat chance...).

There are internet sources for 1/4 inch long screws, but it appears they'd be a little short on thread engagement in the sight body, and might strip when tightened securely. The next longer readily available size appears to be 5/16(.3125"), which is too long, and cup point screws are difficult to shorten properly (but not impossible).

Another possibility would be to fill the dovetail slot with a steel plug and use the original screw supplied by Williams.

Anybody have any other ideas?

YSYEO

Quote from: M2 on December 17, 2012, 06:24:49 AM
The mounting grub screw supplied by Williams with the WGRS-54 rear sight appears to be a 8-36 x 3/16(.1875)" cup point socket (headless) set screw (with a 5/64" Allen wrench socket). I haven't been able to find longer 8-36 set screws at my local hardware stores or gunsmiths.

It looks like what is needed is about an 8-36 x 9/32(.2812)" version of the same style screw, but I haven't been able to find that size listed anywhere online either, except apparently on some obscure Leica lens (fat chance...).

There are internet sources for 1/4 inch long screws, but it appears they'd be a little short on thread engagement in the sight body, and might strip when tightened securely. The next longer readily available size appears to be 5/16(.3125"), which is too long, and cup point screws are difficult to shorten properly (but not impossible).

Another possibility would be to fill the dovetail slot with a steel plug and use the original screw supplied by Williams.

Anybody have any other ideas?

The steel plug (or brass or aluminum or delrin) would be my choice.   It also protects the finish on the breech from getting marked by the screw.