Crosman 357

Started by mammocked, April 25, 2011, 08:21:42 PM

mammocked

I took delivery of a 357 the other day.
Found 30 mins spare this evening to zero
sights in. Found it a bit of a struggle. I then noticed
that the barrel is loose. Is this the norm?
If not any quick fixes? Or should I return it to
the supplier. Bit of a problem there because it's hundreds
of miles away.

arkmaker †

Do a search on here for 357 and you should come up with something. I think there was a discussion about just this thing not to long ago, but I can;t remember what exactly the fix was.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

mammocked

Ta Rich will have a search.

Crosshairs

There should be a metel clip at the end of the barrel,make sure the end of the barrel is this clip and the clip is secured to the barrel frame.
                                Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

If you can wait a day or two I'll have a look at mine and see what's shaking (play on words there, sorry). Took a look and my new Phase 3 is rock steady, side to side and up and down, but it moves, back and forward. I know that by the nature of this gun, the seal is made when the clip presses against the barrel. I wonder if a shim/washer on the end of the barrel would disturb this or would it make a better seal and press the barrel steady against tha front of the houseing?? Just thoughts you might want to play with. Push the barrel out and take a look and see if that makes any sense to ya.

Rich

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

mammocked

Will do. I will wait ti see if you come up with
any thing else. Ta.
Stu.

the old guy

Mr. Rich seems like a long time since you have shared any progress on your 357 in works. Has your search for the 8 inch barrel than successful? If memory serves, and it does on rare occasions, you are getting ready to paint. While I haven't got my first one back together yet I thought I would clean up all the seams. What paint have you or do you plan to use to repaint? Do you think one kind will work for both the metal and plastic? Also, you have probably seen the video from PA on the 357. In case you haven't he pointed out that it has rails on the barrel for extras. Well a quick trip to the parts bin to retrieve my laser. While I did not care for it at any long distance I've found it to be excellent for quick short shooting. So give us an update when you get a chance on your progress.

Lee
I may be getting old, but I can still whip anyone twice my age and half my heavy.

Crosshairs

Quote from: mammocked on April 26, 2011, 07:44:46 AM
Will do. I will wait ti see if you come up with
any thing else. Ta.
Stu.
Any luck with your 357 ?
                                Mike

mammocked

I've looked at my 357 and the clip that
holds the barrel in place is there, but it is very
loose. It doesnt see to do very much. I am going
to try and take up the slack at the week end.

arkmaker †

Quote from: mammocked on April 27, 2011, 11:48:20 PM
I've looked at my 357 and the clip that
holds the barrel in place is there, but it is very
loose. It doesnt see to do very much. I am going
to try and take up the slack at the week end.

That is the only thing I can see to do as well. Add thin washers a little at a time in front of the barrel on the inside of the shroud until the slack is gone and the clip will stil rotate. Will be fun getting them in there! I'll let you go first  :-*
Also, I did find someone with an 8" barrel, but I am holding off on it for right now in order to fund the next 2240. If anyone wants it, let me know and I will forward the info. $27.00 shipped (at least that was what I was quoted. Could be more or less depending upon where you live, I'd guess)
Rich

Sardine

Does it shoot high or low or left or right? I guess low. That clip holds the barrel snugly in place, I think? If it's the clip I think it is. My older 357 shot low because that shim cracked on mine. I called the repair center and asked if the gun was worth fixing, the chap said sure so in it went. He fixed it right there in front of me in about 10 minutes, handed the pistol back to me along with a $75. repair charge. Heck, I could have bought a new one for that much. I would have said no, it ain't worth fixing by a new one instead and throw the old one away. I remember when I first purchased this pistol it shot real low & I had to grind off the front sight to make it shoot properly the first time out. Coincidently, I have a 2300t that shoots 1 inch high, so does my buddies 2300t. My c-41 bb pistol does the same thing only it shoots an inch and a half high with fixed sights. I just called Crosman and they said they never heard of these problems I'm having with the sights. Very nice people there though. I just use a 6 o'clock hold now for these two pistols. My 357 is once again very accurate as is the 2300t and thec-41 is excellent for a bb pistol.

Crosshairs

Never toss any air gun send them to me  :-*  i would say you got taken big time from the person who repaired your 357 they are very easy to work on and the parts dont cost much, if you cant fix it yourself at least get a price before you give them the ok to do the work.
                                 Mike

arkmaker †

Heck yeah.....from now on ask here first. I clip swap out is an easy one and the part itself can;t cost much more than a few dollars from Crosman. Ahhhh, but it sounds as if you have now gotten your money's worth out of it!

Sardine

Yeah, shoot! I got harpooned alright. I should have been paying more attention. When I saw what little he did and how fast he did it I kinda' thought for a minute that he wasn't going to charge me for that. Now that I know how to do it I can do it myself next time. I brought in a black diamond c02 rifle for a new seal also and I could have bought a replacement for it to for a bout $20 more than the bill was for it. It was a authorized Crosman repair facility that I was referred to by Crosman. It's my own fault for not paying attention like I should have been that day.

mammocked

Sardine, my pistol shot low. Still not had chance
to take a proper look at the barrel. Work is very busy.
Hope to do so in the next day or so.