100% Silicone Oil: Pros & Cons for Pump Airgun use?

Started by Flex, February 06, 2013, 07:43:46 AM

Flex

I know that petroleum based lubricants are verboten as chamber lube in the Break-Barrel spring & nitrogen piston powered  air rifles. Most "experts" will state that the silicone based oils are the ONLY ones that should be used and many of those folks even suggest avoiding silicone oils too!
My question is, does 100% silicone oil have a place in the lubrication of "pumper" type airguns? I've been reading many posts on lubing pumpers and it seems that almost everybody is using some sort of petroleum based lube. Non-detergent, straight weight motor oil appears to get the highest marks BUT it also seems like eventually, there is some degree of deterioration of components regardless of what type of petroleum based product is used. So what about silicone based lubricants? I know that the Crosman Silicone Lube is darn spendy (~$20/fl oz). 100% silicone oil is available for a lot less in R/C hobby shops (~$2/fl oz). Is anyone out there using the stuff on their pump cups, o-rings etc? What are the pros and cons? Thanks. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

bgmcgee

I've been using the rws chamber lube as I couldn't find Crosman stuff here. It was pricy too but seems to work. I personally see no problem with using the r/c silicone oil.  When this rws oil runs out That's what I will use.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

breakfastchef

I do not know the answer to your questions, but ponder whether use of petroleum-based lubricants may be a simple matter of 'that is what we always used'. I do know that a little bit of oil is good for valve internals, but am not sure silicone would provide the same in a pump tube or transfer into the valve the way that Pellgun oil does. Another factor may be how quickly a lubricant breaks when subjected to heat and friction down before it must be applied again.

I expect that lubricant recommendations will change over time as people experiment with new products. There are a few spring airgunners who have been testing a wickedly expensive DuPont product called Krytox as a spring lube. They've had remarkably good success and noticed things like no dieseling, smoother cocking and enhanced pellet velocities. One day moly-based lubes may be replaced by newer, more effective lubricants.
Larry

RC1947

I use 40 wt. silicone RC car shock oil, and like you said, for a few $$ you'll get a lifetime supply. RC