Archer Super Sear

Started by AS13, February 13, 2013, 02:02:31 PM

quickster47 †

I received my Archer Super Sear today and am initially disappointed in the thickness of the thing.  Not sure why they didn't make it 1/8" or even 0.130 to help get rid of the slop.

Oh well, I'm staying tuned here to see what y'all come up with.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

JMJinNC

Is yours the newer version 2 model? What material is it?

The sear spring engagement looks better on the version 2.

JMJ
John

quickster47 †

Quote from: JMJinNC on April 04, 2013, 02:51:36 AM
Is yours the newer version 2 model? What material is it?

The sear spring engagement looks better on the version 2.

JMJ

I'll go get it and take a picture.  Will have to check and see what the material is.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 †

Well from the looks of this thing I would say that it is aluminum because it is very, very light.  Hardly any mass to it at all.  And actually, it feel very fragile in my hands.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

JMJinNC

Aha. Great pix. The description said aluminum with hardened steel pins at the wear points (except where the trigger contacts the sear and the 1st stage "hump").  Interesting way to do it.

The older design seems to be a hardened steel plate cut to profile by wire EDM or laser.

Thanks for the pictures.

JMJ
John

It works for me in a custom shop grip frame.
Stranded in California.

JMJinNC

Update - I tried the horizontal spring idea last night. Still no go  :(   The sear was still sliding back, preventing engagement of the hammer. The small spring I installed was fairly stiff, but still not strong enough to prevent sliding of the sear.

So, since I had the gun apart, I clipped 1/2 coil off my hammer spring and switched my spring guide to a less restrictive one. I also stole one of the sear washers to tighten up my trigger. So I'm left with a single stage trigger, but it's a light switch - squeeze and the pellet is GONE.

BTW - a handy tip I just discovered. Before taking off the trigger cover plate, slide the safety pin to "fire", then clip on a wooden clothes-pin on the other side. It keeps the safety in position and prevents the spring/ball from being ejected (well, at least for me).

JMJ
John

quickster47 †

Quote from: JMJinNC on April 10, 2013, 02:56:47 PM
BTW - a handy tip I just discovered. Before taking off the trigger cover plate, slide the safety pin to "fire", then clip on a wooden clothes-pin on the other side. It keeps the safety in position and prevents the spring/ball from being ejected (well, at least for me).

JMJ

Thanks for that update and that great tip on keeping your balls in place with the clothespin.  :D

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

farrlarr

Quote from: quickster47 on April 10, 2013, 03:14:55 PM
Thanks for that update and that great tip on keeping your balls in place with the clothespin.  :D

Carl

Wouldn't a hose clamp work better??   ;D
Larry in Idaho

"A man's got to know his limitations."

quickster47 †

Quote from: farrlarr on April 10, 2013, 05:07:12 PM
Wouldn't a hose clamp work better??   ;D

Actually that should be a great big OUCH on both accounts.  :D

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Korak

I don't need something as large as a clothes pin. I use a small alligator clip.. It has tiny sharp teeth. Ahhhhh.