2240 bolt probe mod for velocity

Started by howie1968, February 16, 2013, 08:31:34 PM

MichaelM

LOL Jeff atleast ell us was it a extended prob or a flow through that was your Pick.... no need to say who made them :)

quickster47 †

Quote from: cheewee on February 19, 2013, 05:32:41 AM
some were longer some were smaller dia. and one flow thru had oversized hole compared to the specs i have. was surprised to find a 70fps variation over the 6 of them with 5 of them being within 40fps which left me with 1 clear loser. will not go into specifics because what works for me may not work for you but i definately have my two favorites now. this was in no way a comprehensive test and there are way to many variables to be able to draw any concrete conclusions, just saying it pays to experiment.

Your results are not surprising and truthfully what I feel everyone experiences.

As always with some many parts, "Your Mileage May Vary".

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

howie1968

I have the  origiganl bolt that came with the plastic bolt,  let me ask this if i was to reduce the  diameter of the probe on my steel bolt with  my steel breech kit how would i do this? with a dremel and roll it to make it even. i havent progresed to even tamper with valve work but if i can gain some by going to the 14.5 inch barrel then do a probe mod and increse velovity some, as stated im basically going to shoot paper and cans but like the idea of popping a rabbit. i want as much energy as i can muster without getting into the valves just yet, i feel another 2240 will be ordered soon
I am a hunting guide In texas and Colorado
Crosman 2240
2 crosman 357
crosman 2289
Benjamin xl1100 22
QB 78 177
QB 78 22

quickster47 †

^^^ It could be done with a Dremel albeit I am not sure exactly how true it would turn out but the absolute best way would be to use a lathe.  However, being that you may not have a lathe or access to one, there are many here on this forum that have had exceptionally good luck chucking something like the bolt in a variable speed drill and doing something like what you are proposing.  Just take your time and be in no hurry.

BTW, your original brass bolt that came with the plastic breech would have to be taken apart and the cocking handle removed and then the bolt tapped to 8-32 to accept the handle.  The brass bolt and handle are staked together from the factory.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

BDS

IMO, the research done by so many folks on this forum, shows modest velocity gains at best. For me, the most important attributes of the extended probe are air-flow (as Carl noted) and a really good o-ring seal on the probe. A good seal, with the pellet pushed past the transfer port makes the "lock time" slightly quicker or more efficient with less chance of pellet damage or scrapes on the head or skirt when loading. All good stuff in the quest for repeatability which adds to overall accuracy and efficiency of the gun.

I believe Charles Mellon agrees with this concept, as his webpage for the extended probes (choose hollow or solid types) basically states (my paraphrase) don't ask me which style is better, buy them both if you are that anal about it.  :D  :-*
Brian

DaveB50

I remember seeing a video where they cut  the bolt off froward of the o ring, then drilled and inserted a piece of music wire. This way you could also extend the probe.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

agninja

Yea, I saw some russian dude make a video and he took apart a lighter, I guess just for the o-ring, and put that on the bolt probe. Then he drilled it out and glued some piano wire in there. I had no idea what purpose that served when I was watching it, but now it all makes sense.
Black air pistols matter.

HappyHunter

Quote from: DaveB50 on February 19, 2013, 06:50:10 PM
I remember seeing a video where they cut  the bolt off froward of the o ring, then drilled and inserted a piece of music wire. This way you could also extend the probe.

Well, I never made a video of mine :P, but that's how I did it too. Instead of music wire though, I used (are you ready for this?) - S/S finishing nails!  :o. Before you ask, "Why finishing nails"?... short answer is "Because that's all I had on hand at the time that would work"! Keep in  mind the only tools I had at my disposal was a cheap drill press, a Dremel and some files/sandpaper!   :-[

"Skinny" probe on left is from a 1-1/4" nail. Shank is 1/16" diameter (made for a nice, snug fit in bolt), head of nail was 3/32". The fatter probe on the right is made from the shank of a 2-1/2" nail, which was the same diameter as the "head" of the first one (3/32").

Both probes were cut 5/8" long, 3/8" of which is inserted into a 1/16" hole drilled in end of bolt which gave me a finished bolt length of 1-7/8" - just barely enough room to still load Polymag's  and still have the skirt completely ahead of TP:

:-*

Todd
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

quickster47 †

Good job Todd.  :-* :-* :-* As they say, necessity is the mother of invention.  :)

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Brent

Noah

Quote from: agninja on February 19, 2013, 08:14:43 PM
Yea, I saw some russian dude make a video and he took apart a lighter, I guess just for the o-ring, and put that on the bolt probe. Then he drilled it out and glued some piano wire in there. I had no idea what purpose that served when I was watching it, but now it all makes sense.

I also saw that same video and was pretty impressed with the kid's ability to do this-and-that...  :-*
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

DaveB50

Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

cheewee

Quote from: MichaelM on February 19, 2013, 07:22:04 AM
LOL Jeff atleast ell us was it a extended prob or a flow through that was your Pick.... no need to say who made them :)

the probes that performed the best were both extended probes with dia. slightly smaller that what i consider to be the norm.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

WyoMan

I read but don't remember where that its tough to get the flow-thru to beat
the extended until you get to .22 and above......
tough to pull the breech on a good build just to test stuff ....nice work cheewee  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

MichaelM

Quote from: WyoMan on February 20, 2013, 03:33:32 AM
I read but don't remember where that its tough to get the flow-thru to beat
the extended until you get to .22 and above......
tough to pull the breech on a good build just to test stuff ....nice work cheewee  :-*

This is also what I have come to understand from research.... (I personaly have not gotten there yet but my thoughts and experiance with other things would have me tending to lean in this direction as well) the opening is just to restrictive no matter how big you get it in .177(and alot of time have decreases in speed)  and in .22 its really toss up as they both seem to be about equel.... seams the real gains start in the .25 and up as far as power+ consistancy goes.... where there is enough meat on the prob you can open it way up and have plenty of flow.....

think I will try to experiment with both 1/8 and 1/16 drill rod....  and maybe smaller if 1/16 seems to be beefy enough to stand up to the abuse.....

And Thanks Jeff for going through the pain of pulling your girl apart and putting her back together  to test this out for us!!!!