Question about Steel Breech

Started by w9trb, February 20, 2013, 11:54:22 PM

w9trb

I just recently put a steel breech and mim rear sight on a 1377. Last night, I noticed that there is a slight gap between the breech and the tube beneath it. Is this normal or should I disassemble and start over?

BigErn

quickster47 †

There is one thing to be aware of in this situation.

Crosman only makes one basic breech that fits both the 13XX and 22XX guns.  However, the 22XX guns are 7/8" tube and the 13XX guns are 3/4" tube so there is actually a slight difference in the way the breech fits the tubes of each model.

But that is really nothing to worry about unless you are bored and have nothing better to do.  :P

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

AgentWD40_FL

He might not have the TP lined up correctly ....  I did that once, and taught myself a lesson.
Flying Dragon XS60C .22 Co2 Air Rifle w/Hawke Sport HD 3-9X40 AO Scope
Hatsan Mod 25 Supercharger .177
Crosman 38T .177 (Circa 1976)
Crosman 38C .22 (Circa 1963-1974)
Crosman Mark 1 Target .22 (Circa 1970's)
Crosman 1740 (2240 Modded) Carbine w/Bushnell 3-9X32
Crosman 2300KT CCS .177 w/Tasco 2x20
Crosman 1377 w/BSA Red Dot
Beeman P-17
Gamo PT-85 w/Laser Sight
Crosman 357

Fronzdan

This happens.  It should be flush or as flush as possible.  You especially don't want it moving up and down when you push on the barrel.  Be sure the TP is seated properly and that the barrel is oriented the right way so the TP WILL seat properly.  Sometimes it's good to loosen everything, including the barrel within the breech, and wiggle things, rotate the barrel very slightly etc, to seat everything better, then tighten up again.  Also tighten the small breech screw most of the way down before the rear one.  Doing it the other way tends to cause that gap.

Even after all that, sometimes it just doesn't lay flush because the TP sleeve is riding too high.  In an extreme case I've sanded down the big side a little so the breech will tighten down flush.

w9trb

I found the problem. It was the TP not seated properly. I took it apart and back together again about three times before I got it right. Learned the hard way, so I bet  I do it right the next time. And there will be a next time, the Big Brown Truck comes tomorrow with the .22  version! Guess I've got the fever, huh!

w9trb

Also, it now passes the toilet paper test. And I've got to say I like the Mim sight much more than the original. So now I guess I need to order another steel breech and another mim sight for the 22xx coming tomorrow.

KevinP

;D ;D ;D It will never end ...   :-* welcome to the club ....   :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

Cross Pistol Packer

Modding,it can empty your wallet faster than the wife hitting the shops :o
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

w9trb

I wonder, this morning, if both the top and bottom of the TP are supposed to have an O-ring. The bottom of mine does, the top-side does not. Have I lost an O-ring or just my mind? Waking up thinking of how my 1377 goes together is surely a sign of Mod-Fever!

quickster47 †

Quote from: w9trb on February 21, 2013, 12:24:22 PM
I wonder, this morning, if both the top and bottom of the TP are supposed to have an O-ring. The bottom of mine does, the top-side does not. Have I lost an O-ring or just my mind? Waking up thinking of how my 1377 goes together is surely a sign of Mod-Fever!

From the factory there is only one seal and that is on the bottom side.  Some others add one to the top side to ensure that there is no leak.  Others never have a problem.

Here is a good link that Brutuz started: http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,721.0.html

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

w9trb

Thanks for the link. I also found a download of a pdf that shows all the various parts. I think I'll try the adjustable lighter for parts trick, failing that I have some teflon tape to try. For such a tiny part I think teflon tape  will only lead to fumbling fingers syndrome, but I'll keep that as a plan "B".

breakfastchef

Quote from: w9trb on February 21, 2013, 01:59:21 PM
Thanks for the link. I also found a download of a pdf that shows all the various parts. I think I'll try the adjustable lighter for parts trick, failing that I have some teflon tape to try. For such a tiny part I think teflon tape  will only lead to fumbling fingers syndrome, but I'll keep that as a plan "B".

I find the stock transfer tube without the top seal to be adequate and functional. I tried a top seal from a lighter and did not find it provided any benefit.

One vendor, Mike at TKO, does something interesting. He glues the tansfer port into the barrel-mounted breech. Not an epoxy or anything, just a glue that holds firm and can be eailsy removed. This makes reassembly a breeze. I can see more benefit of using a glue or rubber cement to providing a much better seal than an o-ring. BTW, I don't glue my stuff.
Larry

quickster47 †

Have to agree again with Larry.  I did try the Brutuz Evo mod one time and while it might have helped, it was not real evident.  I usually find that if I take my time and get a good alignment of all the parts I have no problems.

Also, once you end up doing this about a hundred times it becomes second nature.   :)

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

w9trb

Yes indeed, I went through it several times last night. It did feel satisfying when it all fit just right. Even though it was late, I went down in the basement and put a group into the bullet trap. Duct seal lined bullet traps are wife-friendly for late night shooting!