how do you smooth out/polish the leade-in/chamber on your barrel?

Started by 1377x, February 28, 2013, 03:38:12 AM

1377x

i just got done doing a polish on the crown of one of my barrels.i turn it over to look at the leade-in ,its full of chatter marks across the bottom.im going to see if i can get a clear pic of it
what would you do with this barrel?
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

I use Craytex abrasives from http://www.cratex.com/ that mount on 1/8" shaft that fit my Dremel. You can do a gret job of polishing with them.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

1377x

do you have a pic of the ones you use
i have to register to get any info
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 †

In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 †

In Omnia Paratus

chongman

I use the same thing, they are fantastic and last a long time  :-*
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Brent

Damn... they are expensive for what I need to do. I need to do the same as Ed... my lead in on the 2300s is hanging up smaller lighter pellets... so I need to have a toothpick or something handy to straighten them up and finish pushing them in.

Don't want to spend that much for this one task. Any other options you can think of? Can I just get one Cratex maybe? If yes... which do you recommend?

quickster47 †

You can buy a single bit.  Do you have a Dremel tool?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

chongman

Correct me if I'm wrong/out of date Carl...

I have a green one (course grit) and a red one (fine grit). One of each will be all you need.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Brent

Cool... Thanks guys!! Do have a dremel and was hoping to use that. Didn't realize I could buy just a couple... whew lol

JEBert

Brent,
I don't have any cratex bits in my Dremel stuff.  I must have used them up on something else before I got into modding airguns because I know that I did have some at one time.  Here is what I did:
I took a 6" length of 3/8" hardwood dowel and sharpened it with a pencil sharpener.  Then I made a small cone of 100-grit sandpaper with the grit on the inside the cone.  Then I stuck the cone down inside the leade of the barrel I wanted to polish.  Then used that to reshape the dowel to the correct angle because the pencil sharpener only got it close.  When the dowel was correct, I used some 320 grit sandpaper to make another cone but put it on the sharpened end of the dowel and taped in place with the grit to the outside.  I used that in a 3/8" electric drill to get the machine marks out of the leade and used progressively finer grits until I was using 600 grit wet-or-dry paper.  Then I used a felt polishing cone in my Dremel with some jewelers rouge to finish the polishing.  I was careful to not sand or polish any more than necessary because I didn't want the o-ring to stop sealing.
Good luck,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Brent

AgentWD40_FL

Quote from: JEBert on February 28, 2013, 08:19:17 AM
Brent,
I don't have any cratex bits in my Dremel stuff.  I must have used them up on something else before I got into modding airguns because I know that I did have some at one time.  Here is what I did:
I took a 6" length of 3/8" hardwood dowel and sharpened it with a pencil sharpener.  Then I made a small cone of 100-grit sandpaper with the grit on the inside the cone.  Then I stuck the cone down inside the leade of the barrel I wanted to polish.  Then used that to reshape the dowel to the correct angle because the pencil sharpener only got it close.  When the dowel was correct, I used some 320 grit sandpaper to make another cone but put it on the sharpened end of the dowel and taped in place with the grit to the outside.  I used that in a 3/8" electric drill to get the machine marks out of the leade and used progressively finer grits until I was using 600 grit wet-or-dry paper.  Then I used a felt polishing cone in my Dremel with some jewelers rouge to finish the polishing.  I was careful to not sand or polish any more than necessary because I didn't want the o-ring to stop sealing.
Good luck,

Flying Dragon XS60C .22 Co2 Air Rifle w/Hawke Sport HD 3-9X40 AO Scope
Hatsan Mod 25 Supercharger .177
Crosman 38T .177 (Circa 1976)
Crosman 38C .22 (Circa 1963-1974)
Crosman Mark 1 Target .22 (Circa 1970's)
Crosman 1740 (2240 Modded) Carbine w/Bushnell 3-9X32
Crosman 2300KT CCS .177 w/Tasco 2x20
Crosman 1377 w/BSA Red Dot
Beeman P-17
Gamo PT-85 w/Laser Sight
Crosman 357

quickster47 †

Quote from: chongman on February 28, 2013, 06:11:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong/out of date Carl...

I have a green one (course grit) and a red one (fine grit). One of each will be all you need.

That is the two flavors that I use 90% of the time.  They do make others but you really only need the two.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus