how do you smooth out/polish the leade-in/chamber on your barrel?

Started by 1377x, February 28, 2013, 03:38:12 AM

quickster47 †

Don't remember if this was mentioned anywhere in your previous posts but are the pellets difficult to load?  Are wadcutters the worst behaved if you have trouble loading any pellets?

I know this was discussed in some thread that all pellets appear to load really well with the Crosman OEM plastic breech but soon as a steel breech is installed loading pellets can be a real PITA.

What breech do you have on this gun?

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Gippeto

Ed, there's a small dim light coming on here...maybe...or maybe not. ;)

What is that barrel off of? What caliber?

And what are you using for a breech and bolt?

Could be lack of caffeine...or morning inspiration...only the shadow knows. ;D

Al

1377x

Quote from: Gippeto on March 03, 2013, 04:29:24 PM
Ed, there's a small dim light coming on here...maybe...or maybe not. ;)

What is that barrel off of? What caliber?

And what are you using for a breech and bolt?

Could be lack of caffeine...or morning inspiration...only the shadow knows. ;D

Al

the barrel is off my 2300hpa gun it is .22
i am using a crosman steel breech with a mellonair extended probe bolt. since i found out the mellon bolt in .177 performed better than my brass bolt ,i am going to put a brass extended probe bolt in this gin and move the mellon bolt to my stainless 2260pcp
i guess i could have shoprtened this to say it has a mellonair bolt in it now but will be using a brass extended bolt when i put it back together
the brass bolts came from the same maker from the looks of them
closed mouths dont get fed

Gippeto

Maybe it's looking at the pics on my phone instead of a computer screen, but it looks like the breech end of the barrel has no significant taper (forcing cone) and has an o-ring installed....like the .25 Marauder barrels I've had.

Just my phone?

Al

1377x

Quote from: Gippeto on March 03, 2013, 04:54:59 PM
Maybe it's looking at the pics on my phone instead of a computer screen, but it looks like the breech end of the barrel has no significant taper (forcing cone) and has an o-ring installed....like the .25 Marauder barrels I've had.

Just my phone?

Al

you know it has a very small forcing cone
hopefully these pis can show it better

Pumpmeister

Would a soft  Pencil eraser and some Valve Grinding paste,toothpaste ot Simichrome Polish do any good here for either Operation?

hth

Mario
"Aim Small....Miss Small" Benjamin Martin

1377x

i for one have no idea
when gippeto brought up the point of the forcing cone i had to listen.i see a very distinct groove in the barrel and if i am hearing gippeto right it sounds to me like this might be a marauder barrel  reworked to remove the end of the chamber so a bolt o-ring would seal the chamber instead of a barrel o-ring and a bolt with no o-ring. there is a slight cone though enough for the bolt o-ring to seal just barely enough the face of the bolt is right at the edge of the transfer port.this is with a mellon bolt a stock bolt the face of it goes into the transfer port

quickster47 †

Here are three pictures of a Crosman .177 barrel I just removed from one of my Crosmaniac guns and replace with a Lothar Walther barrel.  Nothing has been done to the leade on this barrel it is just as it came from the factory.

It is hard to get a really good photo of how the inside looks but I think it might be different from yours Ed.  Might have to get out my Nikon and put the macro lens on it and try it that way.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

1377x

quickster do you have ant .22 barrels laying around?
the barrel in question is a .22 dont know how much of a difference thats going to make ???

quickster47 †

I have several .22 barrels.  I'll go get one and take some pictures of it.Carl

In Omnia Paratus

1377x

thanks!
this has peaked my interest
the barrel is off a parts gun so its origins are not known to me or the seller

quickster47 †

Okay here is the first set of two sets of three pictures taken of two different Crosman .22 cal barrels.  Neither one has had anything done to the leade end.

When you zoom in on these things they are horrible looking and really hurt your eyes.  :-[

I'm also not sure what is the best way to photograph them.  Open to suggestions.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 †

Here is the second set of two sets of three pictures taken of two different Crosman .22 cal barrels.  Neither one has had anything done to the leade end.

I'm also not sure what is the best way to photograph them.  Open to suggestions.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 †

Both barrels came from guns with Crosman long steel breechs and neither one of them had any problems loading pellets if I remember correctly.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

mr007s

Any of you guys familiar with a Conical cutter, some call them a tapered end mill? They come in any degree taper. I suspect a nice leade can be achieved with one of these once the correct angle is established with a little math. Why doesn't someone do some measuring of the length and max diameter, figure the angle and machine it with a conical cutter in the lathe. Or, turn the compound on the lathe to the proper angle and use a small boring bar?