The search continues .....

Started by sandpiper, March 11, 2013, 07:37:31 PM

KevinP

Quote from: sandpiper on March 23, 2013, 02:04:54 PM
Actually found some caps at the local farmers market. Had my son try them in my sporty little old Dick Tracy cap pistol. Cap rocket test will be today. No, the wife wasn't too happy about the cap pistol in the house last night. It went something like this  :D

;D ;D ;D
Kevin
Albany, New York

MichaelM

Quote from: BDS on March 13, 2013, 10:41:05 PM
Another rare one... Cros Town & Country...

$500 as a beater, up to $800 in 95% condition.

Finest pumper Cros ever made, maybe anyone ever made?

just goes to show how much I dont know about different airguns and models and such..... I have never seen one of those and that it one heck of a sexy  pumper!!!

sandpiper

Quote from: MichaelM on March 23, 2013, 04:57:53 PM
just goes to show how much I dont know about different airguns and models and such..... I have never seen one of those and that it one heck of a sexy  pumper!!!

It's amazing how much you can learn in a short time. One of the best gifts I've received was from a member and friend "Govmod" who gave me the "Blue Book of Airguns" by Dr. Robert Beeman and John Allen. It's about two inches thick and has a wealth of information regarding airguns. It gives you a history of the company, info on the gun, how to rate the gun and a price guide with a condition rating in %'s relative to value. Just a great book. Cover price was $29.95

sandpiper

As the search continues I checked out some antique stores a little further away. Unfortunately, at one mall type shop the one booth owner was gone for the day but he had an old American Classic with no bolt, just the half moon breech cover. Didn't have a price but I'll stop back to see him. He also had this Benjamin model E rifle that has the rare front pump rod like my 1923. According to my BB it was made between 1910 and 1935. It wasn't in the best of shape and the BB est. is between $40-$295. He'll probably want a fortune for it since he's into military stuff but we'll see.

Crosshairs

Wow that looks real old are you going for it.
                          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

sandpiper

Quote from: Crosshairs on March 23, 2013, 11:59:20 PM
Wow that looks real old are you going for it.
                          Mike

What I want is the first variant American Classic. If the Benji is reasonable I'll go for it but it would have to be a good deal. Is it just this area or are you guys seeing these old guns around too? There is a lot of history in my area, Brandywine battlefield, Andrew Wyeths home, Duponts, Philadelphia not too far away etc.

Brent

I haven't look real hard yet, but in my initial looking around I am not seeing anything just yet.

I don't live to far south of you (am 2hrs south of Philly... in Delmarva). Lots of history here also.

quickster47 †

Gosh darn, that one looks way older than me and in much better shape.  :D

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

sandpiper

Quote from: quickster47 on March 24, 2013, 02:19:29 AM
Gosh darn, that one looks way older than me and in much better shape.  :D

Carl

;D ;D

sandpiper

My name is John and I have an airgun problem .... Ok, now that that's out of the way, here's what I picked up today for $35  :)

An American Classic rear cocker in excellent condition and it works and works well  :-* The only thing I could find wrong was a little discoloration on the trigger, no big deal.  Tried it out right out of the bag, four pumps, five shots, 5M off hand on the target below.

He wanted $100 for the Benji front pumper but I just wasn't that into it and the E model seemed to be very popular in its day from what I researched.

1377x

wow nice find! congrats!
judging from the grip frame you have a 2nd variant the 1st variants had the 130/150 grip frame with wraparound grips
anyhow
the trigger should be actual brass,not the brass plating and will polish up nicely
closed mouths dont get fed

sandpiper

Quote from: 1377x on March 24, 2013, 08:12:44 PM
judging from the grip frame you have a 2nd variant the 1st variants had the 130/150 grip frame with wraparound grips

Thanks Ed, wasn't aware that there was a variant before this one.
I thought I found a good source with the guy I bought this from but after talking with him he apparently has a few collectors stopping by quite often. My timing just happened to be right on this one and I was actually expecting him to want more. He started at $40 which I would have gladly paid but then talked himself down to $35  :)

1377x

Quote from: sandpiper on March 24, 2013, 08:31:30 PM
Thanks Ed, wasn't aware that there was a variant before this one.
I thought I found a good source with the guy I bought this from but after talking with him he apparently has a few collectors stopping by quite often. My timing just happened to be right on this one and I was actually expecting him to want more. He started at $40 which I would have gladly paid but then talked himself down to $35  :)
;D ;D
for the condition you did good
here is the phase one I used to have I upgraded it to the phase 3 upper
they are so common yet hold their value nib was $28 at the time I paid $25 for the one pictured
they have the brass valve and imo mod better than the new ones
I got my 2nd variant up to 20fpe never could do that with the 3rd variant/pc77 no matter what kind of hammer spring I used

closed mouths dont get fed

Brent

Nice Find!!  :) :)

You are making me jealous lol  :-*

quickster47 †

Ed do you still have either of those guns?

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †