"Gauntlet II" Looking for input...

Started by chongman, March 16, 2013, 12:46:08 AM

breakfastchef

Late to the party, but a comment to share. These kind of build offs are fun and the final guns are a blast to see. But these competitions tend to favor people with machining abilities, woodworking skills and/or those who are parts whores hoarders. Having a comfortable 'cash stash' is also very helpful in the process.

At some time, we might want to level the playing field and do a competiton where execution trumps bedazzled beauty. Something like a Dollar Store Build Off where you build an air powered gun with cheap stuff found around the house and from a dollar store. We could still require at least one Crosman part, but the entrants would make or adapt 'things' to make the gun shoot. It reminds me of a science fair demonstration at the White House when President Obama helpd a kid use a bicycle pump to fill his marshmellow shooter that looked like it was made from PVC tubes.

The final product would have to shoot a projectile, say, at least 10 feet, and other criteria we deemed useful. Criteria might include function & form, ability to shoot, total cost (perhaps a budget limit), execution, creativity, etc. This idea could be a total flop, or very enlightening.
Larry

dan_house

Gonna lean with Chef on this, a bit...
I think your looking at it backwards.... Define a purpose for the gun (shooting pidgeons from the 4th floor of a publishers warehouse, minimum and maximum length, everyone's power levels must meet the power levelrestrictions of the folks who live in area where the upper limits are legally defined, International/10meter guns built on a 1377 platform, if the french foreign legion wanted an airgun for desert use, what american cops would carry in their cruisers instead of a shotgun or AR platform, contains parts you made for another competitor and then traded for parts made for you, completly stock-no aftermarkt parts allowed- but can mod what came in the package, if Red Jacket Firearms opened an arigun division based on Crosman 1377... .....) then build toward that. Or maybe only pumpers.... Or barrel length can only be 10 inch, etc etc. Their should be restrictions, but make those the parameters of the build
As far as the contestants with machining skills and tooling having some advantage, yea been burned by that on other contests. Maybe some forum members who have those skills and tools but not in the contest could cut some metal or wood to help even that out. Team builds?
dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

arkmaker †

I think the point of the last Gauntlet was to just do it and have fun. That's why it worked. Maybe I'm wrong, but once you start putting all kind of rules in place, the fun goes out of it and I predict that there will not be many entries. I'm probably wrong though.

Just me and maybe I'm a bit of a rebel and non conformist, but I just don't like building within set parameters as a hobby. I have to do that for a living  :(
[size=78%] [/size]
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

chongman

Wow, starting to get complicated now but we need the input.

I'm just throwing things out there guys, by know means am I "in charge" of anything. The ultimate decision of what/how/when is up to the members of the forum. 

I just want to build some wild crazy air guns  :D

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

targettgii

I think run what you brung to the race and have fun just my opinion.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

Crosshairs

Quote from: arkmaker on March 18, 2013, 11:32:27 PM
I think the point of the last Gauntlet was to just do it and have fun. That's why it worked. Maybe I'm wrong, but once you start putting all kind of rules in place, the fun goes out of it and I predict that there will not be many entries. I'm probably wrong though.

Just me and maybe I'm a bit of a rebel and non conformist, but I just don't like building within set parameters as a hobby. I have to do that for a living  :(
[size=78%] [/size]
Must agree with Rich lets just show off what we come up with like the last one it was fun.
                                            Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

breakfastchef

Quote from: dan_house on March 18, 2013, 11:21:09 PM
Gonna lean with Chef on this, a bit...

Thanks for the support Dan. I was in no way trying to being down the Gauntlet competitions, only interject another viewpoint. I am not going to 'wax philisophical' on the subject any longer. If we are just having fun and everybody is a winner, then the format of Gauntlet 1 works for me.
Larry

dan_house

like Chef, Im not trying to be down. Just dont see how you can call it it a contest or competition without some kinda rule set to judge the entries against.
I even cleaned off a space for the trophy ;)
hehe ok, I'll shut up now :-*

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
The lunatic fringe of American airgunning

Southwest Montana's Headquarters for airgunning supremacy

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

arkmaker †

Quote from: dan_house on March 20, 2013, 05:22:40 PM
like Chef, Im not trying to be down. Just dont see how you can call it it a contest or competition without some kinda rule set to judge the entries against.
I even cleaned off a space for the trophy ;)
hehe ok, I'll shut up now :-*

I'm with you on being able to judge something, you first needs ground rules. I guess I came off like a butthead, but that wasn't my intention. Honest it wasn't I Just had such a good time last time around and was able to do some swapping of parts in order to post the pics for an entry. Also, was able to put back together a stock 2240 at the same time. Something I had not had for a long long time.

Whatever the rules turn out to be, I am down with them  :-*  Count me in!
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

droid

Rules wise I was happy with everyone is a winner (except me I came fourth ;D)

An overly competitive rule laden build off to me is against the grain of the CAPOF, I think we all just get on too well.

I like most people appreciated all the entries last time budget builds to all out builds and it was just so much fun to do  :-*
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

chongman

I'm with you guys... minimum rules, maximum fun  :)

I like seeing the super bright blaze in your eyeballs bling just as much as the basic cleanly built guns.

What do you think about just voting for a "People's Choice" i.e. the most popular gun? I have some old trophies we can use  ;D
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

targettgii

I like that Idea chongman I like to look at all the different builds on this site. I have my favorites but they are all great in their own way. :)
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

quickster47 †

Quote from: chongman on March 20, 2013, 06:57:54 PM
What do you think about just voting for a "People's Choice" i.e. the most popular gun? I have some old trophies we can use  ;D

I like it and will vote for that idea as it is neither democrat nor Republican.  :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Noah

Whatever works - it is a joy to see what anybody has to contribute.  :-*

Am I still the official vote accountant?  ???
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

ped

peoples choice sounds the best way of doing it
i never looked at the voting results as it wasn't about winning but taking part that counted for me
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com