Five Easy Probes

Started by quickster47 †, March 25, 2013, 03:59:47 PM

TraderJoe

Disclaimer: I am neither an engineer, a physicist, nor machinist. I also am not a "mod maniac" (a compliment to those of you who are  :-*). I have read every one of these posts and am truly impressed with the knowledge of all those who have contributed! Here is my bottom line question. I have a CCS 2240 (.22 cal) on order and from my understanding of what I've read is that one of the the simple mods I should do to improve performance is to replace the stock probe with a flow thru or extended probe. Also planning on a power adjuster. I will initially be shooting the 10' barrel but anticipate going to the LW 14.6 barrel. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Proper gun control is hitting the target the first time.
2300KT
Benjamin Titan NP .22
FX Tarantula PCP .22

CraigH

A return of my favorite project on CAPOF!   It is the reason I use the Mellon flow-through probe/bolt - sometimes "tuned" a bit.   Carl did excellent work on this!   
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Poorman Plinker

Hi Trader Joe,
IMHO Carl did a great job on the research and longer probes not only increase velocity but increase standard deviation as well. Maybe not enough to affect close range accuracy. The hollow probes have a reputation of deforming the skirts as well (probably not all probes and not all skirts).

I have extended probes in most of my Crosman. I buy the Disco probes direct from them. I also use Disco striker springs (heavier gauge) that are cut short to reduce hammer bounce and save gas and reduce the standard deviation of shot velocity. But that is just me... does not work well for everyone.

The longer the barrel the more gas you can use... too much hammer or flow with short barrels is often a waste of shot count that produces very little overall efficiency (cumulative FPE divided by the number of shots within a % of FPS drop). But math is not for everybody either LOL.
8)
The above information is written for entertainment purposes only; it applies only to the arms, equipment  and conditions under which the author's conclusions were drawn and should never be used as a substitute for professional assistance. The author assume no liability for damages (actual, incidental or consequential) resulting from use of the information or for the correctness of the information contained herein. The information is most likely not applicable to your situation and it cannot be generalized to any other equipment or conditions. Use of the information is at the users risk.

TraderJoe

Well I guess at some point the length of the barrel falls under the "Law of Diminishing Returns"
Proper gun control is hitting the target the first time.
2300KT
Benjamin Titan NP .22
FX Tarantula PCP .22

Nvreloader

Just finished reading all of these posts, thoughts and info given etc, given by Carl and everyone else.
Outstanding test of these probes,   :-*
I am interested in the hollow flow thru probe, for the upcoming mads to my QB 79, 22 caliber rifle.

Has anyone followed up with any more test results?

RIP Carl, you have earned it....as your actions have proven, beyond any shadow of doubt.  :(

Tia,
Don
Hammerli 850 Air Mag -17 cal x 2, & 22 cal
QB-79- 22 cal / Guantlet- 22 cal / Crosman 150- 22 cal,  Second Variant Model
AF Recon Condor 22 cal- pending
CF 4500 45 min SCBA tanks x 3, w/SB F-10 compressor
-------------------------------
"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions"
Ronald Regan

Termite

I'm a relatively new member and just read this entire Post.  The exhaustive work that Carl did is simply amazing.  I wish I'd had the chance to get to know Carl.  From reading this post I can tell he was a great guy!

CraigH

Terminte,

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forefront.   Your comments, all true, are appreciated.    :) :( :)
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

hopcrazybob

This was a great test, I'll be shopping for an extended probe!

BillK

Quote from: hopcrazybob on May 23, 2020, 06:57:18 PM
This was a great test, I'll be shopping for an extended probe!

I really like the Cothran bolts  https://cothranmachine.com/category/crosman/crosman-bolt-handles/
as they have a magnet that holds the bolt open when tipping the gun down to load a pellet. 
It is a extra option only once.  Then it becomes a necessity. ;) (sorta like an ice maker in your fridg)
BTW Crosman sells the magnet separately as it is a part used in the 2300S bolt.  Just drill your bolt and super glue the magnet in place. 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

hopcrazybob

Thanks for the tip, heading there now!

hopcrazybob

Wow! for $14 that's a very nice bolt, after I drool a bit I'll choose something else to go with it to get the free shipping.

Brighton Rock

Excellent research what a guy all done for nothing except for the joy he got with sharing his knowledge with other 2240 shooters
Rip buddy
Tony

CraigH

For sure!    Of all topics in all the air gun blogs/forums/etc, this is my favorite!

It is from this topic, back many years as a novice 22xx builder, I decided the hollow probe was the best over all design.   It delivers improved flow over the stock 22xx probe, and more importantly, all pellets are seated to the same depth, and that depth is past the transfer port.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado