Author Topic: Five Easy Probes  (Read 42049 times)

Offline TraderJoe

• Marksman
  • Joined CAPOF since: 20/07/2017
    Years
Re: Five Easy Probes
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »
Disclaimer: I am neither an engineer, a physicist, nor machinist. I also am not a "mod maniac" (a compliment to those of you who are  :-*). I have read every one of these posts and am truly impressed with the knowledge of all those who have contributed! Here is my bottom line question. I have a CCS 2240 (.22 cal) on order and from my understanding of what I've read is that one of the the simple mods I should do to improve performance is to replace the stock probe with a flow thru or extended probe. Also planning on a power adjuster. I will initially be shooting the 10' barrel but anticipate going to the LW 14.6 barrel. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Proper gun control is hitting the target the first time.
2300KT
Benjamin Titan NP .22
FX Tarantula PCP .22

Offline CraigH

• Crosmaniac
  • Joined CAPOF since: 01/03/2016
    YearsYears
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2017, 11:16:45 PM »
A return of my favorite project on CAPOF!   It is the reason I use the Mellon flow-through probe/bolt - sometimes "tuned" a bit.   Carl did excellent work on this!   
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

Beeman QB78D .22 -  Beeman Chief .22 - Beeman P17
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
Benjamin Maximus Hunter
Benjamin Wildfire
2240 Carbines (2) Stock Pistol (1)
1322C 18" Carbine Steel Breech FTP Prod Trigger
1377 Phase2 Stock
CCS 2400KT .22 14.6" LW "Verminator"
2100B
Gano Urban
Ruger Mark I
PP700S-A .22
Umarex M712    Umarex P.08

Vintage
Crosman 130 - 150 - 180 - 600 - Mark I - 38C ; .22's
Hahn Super BB Repeater

Offline Poorman Plinker

• Sharpshooter
  • Joined CAPOF since: 27/07/2015
    YearsYearsYears
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
Hi Trader Joe,
IMHO Carl did a great job on the research and longer probes not only increase velocity but increase standard deviation as well. Maybe not enough to affect close range accuracy. The hollow probes have a reputation of deforming the skirts as well (probably not all probes and not all skirts).

I have extended probes in most of my Crosman. I buy the Disco probes direct from them. I also use Disco striker springs (heavier gauge) that are cut short to reduce hammer bounce and save gas and reduce the standard deviation of shot velocity. But that is just me... does not work well for everyone.

The longer the barrel the more gas you can use... too much hammer or flow with short barrels is often a waste of shot count that produces very little overall efficiency (cumulative FPE divided by the number of shots within a % of FPS drop). But math is not for everybody either LOL.
 8)
The above information is written for entertainment purposes only; it applies only to the arms, equipment  and conditions under which the author's conclusions were drawn and should never be used as a substitute for professional assistance. The author assume no liability for damages (actual, incidental or consequential) resulting from use of the information or for the correctness of the information contained herein. The information is most likely not applicable to your situation and it cannot be generalized to any other equipment or conditions. Use of the information is at the users risk.

Offline TraderJoe

• Marksman
  • Joined CAPOF since: 20/07/2017
    Years
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2017, 12:07:20 AM »
Well I guess at some point the length of the barrel falls under the "Law of Diminishing Returns"
Proper gun control is hitting the target the first time.
2300KT
Benjamin Titan NP .22
FX Tarantula PCP .22

Offline Nvreloader

• Marksman
  • Joined CAPOF since: 12/08/2017
    Years
« Reply #154 on: August 24, 2017, 06:00:50 AM »
Just finished reading all of these posts, thoughts and info given etc, given by Carl and everyone else.
Outstanding test of these probes,   :-*
I am interested in the hollow flow thru probe, for the upcoming mads to my QB 79, 22 caliber rifle.

Has anyone followed up with any more test results?

RIP Carl, you have earned it....as your actions have proven, beyond any shadow of doubt.  :(

Tia,
Don
QB-79 22 cal
AF Condor 22 cal- pending
-------------------------------
"Speeds fine, but Accuracy is final"

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
It is time to restore the American precept, that each individual is accountable for their actions"
Ronald Regan