Five Easy Probes

Started by quickster47 †, March 25, 2013, 03:59:47 PM

WyoMan

That was a cool idea with the probeless setup....maybe an original  8)
What I find interesting about the physics part is that improving the flow more than trumps the offsetting loss in parasitic transfer volume..
which is the dead space that the pressurized air fills in between the valve and pellet......so,
a really hollowed out flow thru is a good bet in 22 cal....thanks again Carl  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Brent

Quote from: WyoMan on March 26, 2013, 02:12:48 AM
That was a cool idea with the probeless setup....maybe an original  8)
What I find interesting about the physics part is that improving the flow more than trumps the offsetting loss in parasitic transfer volume..
which is the dead space that the pressurized air fills in between the valve and pellet......so,
a really hollowed out flow thru is a good bet in 22 cal....thanks again Carl  :-*

Wyo... you understand this more than I - so would you think a hollow probe with really thin sides walls, but the smaller inside diameter thus still... versus an extended probe with a really small diameter wire, but in that possibly causing turbulence in the air (co2) as the air tries to move around it still - is better?

I am not sure there is a right or wrong answer here guys  ???
But Carl has gotten us this far... so let's see if we talk it out, just maybe we will all together figure out the ultimate bolt once and for all... if there is one  ??? :-*

1377x

Quote from: Brent on March 26, 2013, 02:30:48 AM
Wyo... you understand this more than I - so would you think a hollow probe with really thin sides walls, but the smaller inside diameter thus still... versus an extended probe with a really small diameter wire, but in that possibly causing turbulence in the air (co2) as the air tries to move around it still - is better?

But Carl has gotten us this far... so let's see if we talk it out, just maybe we will all together figure out the ultimate bolt once and for all... if there is one  ??? :-*

airforce guns use the ultimate set up
the air come from directly behind the pellet.no turns bends loop d loops
closed mouths dont get fed

DaveB50

Thanks for doing this Carl, great review of bolt designs. How long before someone makes a bolt with a retractable probe? A bolt within a bolt?
Dave
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

AgentWD40_FL

Flying Dragon XS60C .22 Co2 Air Rifle w/Hawke Sport HD 3-9X40 AO Scope
Hatsan Mod 25 Supercharger .177
Crosman 38T .177 (Circa 1976)
Crosman 38C .22 (Circa 1963-1974)
Crosman Mark 1 Target .22 (Circa 1970's)
Crosman 1740 (2240 Modded) Carbine w/Bushnell 3-9X32
Crosman 2300KT CCS .177 w/Tasco 2x20
Crosman 1377 w/BSA Red Dot
Beeman P-17
Gamo PT-85 w/Laser Sight
Crosman 357

WyoMan

Quote from: Brent on March 26, 2013, 02:30:48 AM

Not sure which (flow thru or extended probe) can provide better flow, you maybe right about turbulence  ??? with the probeless giving
the best results......tells me the gas likes flow.....
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

arkmaker †

Quote from: Brent on March 26, 2013, 01:59:26 AM
I am so not sure in asking this... for discussion by those that know better than me - but if we used something small in diameter to push the pellet in past the transfer port... does the lead in of the barrel up into the rifling... allow for the pellet to become, and/ or load not square at that point?

Yes, the lead in helps no doubt, but think of the head of the pellet. Ya know how when you put a pellet in the breech and it tilts down nose first and then gets hung up in the stupid screw counter-bore. Well using the  hollow tip probe seems to help that a bit and should keep the pellet held in place all the way to its final resting place.
My theory is that if using just a straight tipped probe the pellet could be pushed into the barrel tilted all the way to its final resting place, distorting the skirt.

Now, does that actually happen? Who knows for sure. I would like to make a plexiglass barrel and see for sure.
Anyway, there is my twisted train of thought.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

cheewee

Quote from: DaveB50 on March 26, 2013, 02:35:27 AM
Thanks for doing this Carl, great review of bolt designs. How long before someone makes a bolt with a retractable probe? A bolt within a bolt?
Dave

i actually looked into this but after testing on a probeless bolt i had very eratic fps readings and decided against it. maybe time to rethink it.
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

cheewee

Dave
actually thought about doing this but after testing on a probless bolt decided against it because of very eratic fps reading
jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

ettolo

Dave
i figured the same thing!  :D

arkmaker †

Something spring loaded, so that the probe would retract automatically when you lock the bolt and extend when unlocked!

Not asking for much, am I?
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Cross Pistol Packer

Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

dptrucker32chip

Good job  Carl .  :-* :-* :-*  Good information  !!!  Thank  u ,for all ur hard work . :-* :-* :-*
Dave

quickster47 †

How long before someone makes a bolt with a retractable probe? A bolt within a bolt?
Dave

This is what I have been contemplating since I finished the testing.  It would definitely be a design challenge but there are lots of us out there that like a good challenge.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

crossliner

Kind of like a telescopic probe but that is too much hard work on too small a part. Then there is the issue of air going to waste. Or it can be done the syringe way. You know a long thin rigid shaft (w/ some kind of a stopper) that impales the breech plug as well the bolt..Kind of like a mini power adjuster  ???