Five Easy Probes

Started by quickster47 †, March 25, 2013, 03:59:47 PM

CraigH

QuoteAnd even though I'm retired there still is not enough hours in the day.

Especially if one is an inefficiency expert like me.   ;)

I've had this topic on hold in my mind, but the little lathe is supposed to arrive tomorrow and there will be an overload of competing ideas on various subjects.  On this topic I can only see a sealing of the breech a bit back of the barrel.  It could be on the solid probe or on the bolt body and of course a breech body machined to work as such.

I still like the two-latch breech to keep its height down as the "J" slot requires a taller breech (not necessarily a problem).

Carl,

I am sure you will have an elegant solution and look forward to seeing it.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

arkmaker †

And then I think it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, that the 1950's hollow porbes were brass. The seal end was round and the handle was located on a taper. Thus, the harder you lock the bolt, the tighter the seal on the barrel. Never had a bit of leakage at the seal point on my 114 and I never used much force at all. This year makes that rifle 60 years old  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

CraigH

Rich,

Do you (or can you) make that tapered bolt latch point on your breeches?
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

ped

it's real easy to make the retracting probe work
first you need to use an o ring in the barrel like a p-rod but the o ring is in a counter bore so it becomes trapped by the rear of the breech bore (imagine a p-rod barrel that has had the back machined off to the groove)
for the probe you use one with a solid end that will seal in the o ring  and clear the bore ,the retracting part is that you use a straight pull bolt with a spring loaded handle that drops into a counter bore slot in the breech slot
where the counter bore slot is determin's how much the bolt retracts
this one is set up for a std probe but to make it retractable all I need to do is mill the counter bore back towards the rear of the breech so the bolt handle drops in the slot and carries on forwards seating the pellet ,then you pull it back till it hits the back ff the counter bore slot 
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

arkmaker †

Quote from: CraigH on April 03, 2016, 06:16:48 PM
Rich,

Do you (or can you) make that tapered bolt latch point on your breeches?

Guess I could, but no plans to do it. Seems the standard waycrosman does this now works.
BTW the 114 has a rear pull  bolt !ikethe mrod (similar)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Pumpmeister

Ca

I Would favor the  first 3 ,beginning (from left..flow-thru being favorite)  I think they'd get the
Air(or Co2) to Pellet better & faster than OEM ...IMHO

Mario
"Aim Small....Miss Small" Benjamin Martin

Rualert

Nice looking breech there Ped. Damn it now I really need the parts to make the milling adapter for my lathe. Money, money, money. Hey if the guns don't eat it up all the tooling to try, research, test, prototype and create these parts will eat up ones wallet. Guess the upside is once you make something unique, it's yours until someone copies it. But hey what's the saying about it being the greatest form of flattery? Hum, I wonder if I could drill a stop in the side of my standard breech, then make the solid extended probe, that could then be retracted after loading like what Ped describes. So many projects, o little time.

Casey

CraigH

Casey,

Depending on the size of your lathe, milling is frequently difficult and not so successful.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

Poorman Plinker

That is a nice action/breech you built there Ped. I think the Quickster reversing bolt handle groove might be a bit easier to build than the counter bore design... You probably saw it on Crosman Poorman Mods where the bolt goes into the trapped o-ring like you have and then the handle drops and pulls back (making a U turn) leaving the "chamber" empty and the pellet forward of the port.
The above information is written for entertainment purposes only; it applies only to the arms, equipment  and conditions under which the author's conclusions were drawn and should never be used as a substitute for professional assistance. The author assume no liability for damages (actual, incidental or consequential) resulting from use of the information or for the correctness of the information contained herein. The information is most likely not applicable to your situation and it cannot be generalized to any other equipment or conditions. Use of the information is at the users risk.

ped

I've seen a few of Bob sterne's breech's that use the J bolt idea
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Kilmister

I think I would have liked Quickster, for those of you who were close to him you have my sincere condolences. Its funny I should bump into this article though as I have been obsessing lately over this very topic. Reading through it and all of you hashing it out for some time reminds me of the concept of original thoughts and there not being any left ;D Would have loved to have been able to meet this Gentleman and see his findings but that's just not always the cards we get dealt (his hand, not mine yet). So here is my pledge to a man I never knew, I am already theoretically well down the path, once I get my shop finished (real soon, less than a week or two tops) I am going to follow this through to it's conclusion and I have a couple things of my own to add as well!
Cheers, Kilmister
If this bothers anyone who was close to him I am sorry. However; I have been obsessing over this and a closely related concept for a awhile now. It has been a forgone conclusion that I was going to immerse myself in finding the best way to get the most air behind an undamaged pellet skirt for some time, this gives me someone to dedicate that work to!
Cheers, Kilmister aka Martin
Shoot, shoot, shoot, hey!
Please tell me kind, I'm out of my mind
And I'm telling you
It's not that I'm bad, I'm totally mad
I'm a boogaloo
I'm certain, I must be a burden
Completely...
Over the top, over the top!

Tater

I didn't know him personally, just what a great guy he was through his postings here, his actions, and what others here have said. It was ALL good.
I think it's great that you will carrying his great thoughts and ideas forward. Best of luck, looking forward to your results.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

JEBert

I was not fortunate enough to meet Carl face-to-face but from our conversations and his posting/sharing here, I think that if he were still around that he would tell you to take any info he posted and use it any way you see fit, and please post your results.

Carl was as generous as anyone I've met.  I miss him.

Many blessings,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Noah

Quote from: JEBert on June 09, 2017, 04:33:08 AM
I was not fortunate enough to meet Carl face-to-face but from our conversations and his posting/sharing here, I think that if he were still around that he would tell you to take any info he posted and use it any way you see fit, and please post your results.

Carl was as generous as anyone I've met.  I miss him.

Many blessings,
Jerry

X2  :-*
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

CraigH

Martin,

I am sure Carl would like continuing progress.   This "Five Easy Probes" has always been my favorite series.

He is greatly missed.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado