USPS and Shipping Airguns Domestic and International is a NO NO!

Started by arkmaker †, April 04, 2013, 06:01:15 PM

arkmaker †

See OP.
That is the statue that they are using in the PO as of this morning. At least at my PO.

So, the question is which is the latest revision of the law? Was she using an outdated lawbook or is the USPS website out of date??

One of them is wrong.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

In Tennessee you can ship anything if you know the postmaster.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Quote from: arkmaker on April 04, 2013, 11:11:41 PM
See OP.
That is the statue that they are using in the PO as of this morning. At least at my PO.

So, the question is which is the latest revision of the law? Was she using an outdated lawbook or is the USPS website out of date??

One of them is wrong.

None of these agencies play well together so, who knows which one is the latest and reflects the U.S. Code versus USPS B.S. , ha ha, I just made a funny  :D USPS B.S.  :D ;D
Brian

arkmaker †

OK wait. Both are on the website, so I guess the clerks can just choose whatever suits them at the moment  ;D ;D

Here it is on the USPS website;
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#ep290111

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Trophyhunter49

I have gotten airguns in the mail! Even have got gun powder ,primers, and such as that in the mail from dealers. ???  Iguess if you don't tell  ??? ??? O well.I have returned airpistols to Daisy in Ar. in the mail. All the lady ask me if it was dangerous , I told NO.  ???

arkmaker †

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on April 05, 2013, 01:37:01 AM
I have gotten airguns in the mail! Even have got gun powder ,primers, and such as that in the mail from dealers. ???  Iguess if you don't tell  ??? ??? O well.I have returned airpistols to Daisy in Ar. in the mail. All the lady ask me if it was dangerous , I told NO.  ???

But is it legal? That is the real question. But with the USPS not even having a straight forward yes or no.......well, who knows? I have an email into the USPS, but I highly doubt I will get a response.

Trophyhunter49

This is very true my friend!  Like when I shipped my last Daisy 008 back to them the post office ask if it was dangerous and I said NO.. I don't know if what I did was legal or not?? ???

sandpiper

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on April 05, 2013, 01:37:01 AM

From what I've learned and assuming it's correct, this form  http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf  is all that's needed by the dealers to send stuff out. The big question is did the USPS revise their regulations for regular folks?

arkmaker †

Quote from: sandpiper on April 05, 2013, 02:49:59 AM
From what I've learned and assuming it's correct, this form  http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf  is all that's needed by the dealers to send stuff out. The big question is did the USPS revise their regulations for regular folks?

So now all I need to do is become a dealer of firearms......oh my wife would just love that!!!  :D
She thinks we are broke now!!  ;D  I'd never sell anything  ;)

breakfastchef

Quote from: BDS on April 04, 2013, 10:36:22 PM
f.  Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an Adult Signature service under 503.9.0. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

Everyone should print out the following Postal Bulletin that defines clearly defines 'Airguns' - http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

This bulletin is dated 7 November 2011. The language clearly states that air rifles and air pistols are mailable through USPS as long as  they "do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a" This would apply to rifles and pistols.

Next time I visit the local PO, I will ask the Postmaster for futher clarification.
Larry

mr007s

After reading 25 post and becoming only more confused I am going with this:
DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL

BDS

Brian

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

1377x

that's funny
i ran into the same problem not long ago a female postal employee told me i couldn't send air guns through the mail
her boss said i could and i did
you do realize you can send a powderburner rifle to your self through the mail right?
pistols can be sent through usps too as long as it is to a ffl and shipped over night
i get guns shipped to my ffl via usps too
for every rule they have there is one that goes around it too i guess
closed mouths dont get fed