The Benjamin Trail NP Pistol

Started by BigErn, April 05, 2013, 05:01:42 PM

BigErn

Here are my initial thoughts on this pistol. After it was unpacked I noticed a few things. All the stock screws were loose, the gun has lots of oil all over it, and the rear sight was not mounted correctly. After I took care of those things I began to play with it a bit.

The gun is HEAVY! Feels a bit off balance I think. Heavy up front. Will be challenging to hold without a rest of some kind. It looks well made and the plastic looks sturdy and not cheap. The gun is a bit louder than I expected but that may change as I use it more. I think my Trail rifle is a bit more quiet for now.

The gun feels like it has some very good power. It has a bit of a kick to it but very smooth. The cocking of this gun is pretty hard. I tried cocking it without the cocking assist and it was very difficult so it will stay on for me, plus it looks cool  8)  Cocking the gun at first was a bit rough but smooth out after about 30 shots. A bit of smoke out the barrel but not much at all.

The trigger is not as sweet as I was hoping but it's not bad at all. The trigger pull is a bit long but predictable. The trigger is adjustable. I played with the adjustment a bit but found it was good the way it came. Overall I'm happy with the trigger as is.

I only had time to shoot about 50 shots yesterday but I noticed some things. I tried a BSA red dot sight on but after a few shots the sight would creep backwards no matter how hard it was tightened so I couldn't really see what it can do. Then I put the stock rear sight on and was shooting well but that also creeped backwards after a few shots. Last night I put the red dot back on with some Loctite. We will see if that holds.

I think this gun will shoot very well once I get the sight on without any movement. I hope today I can get it sighted in and take some target pics. Today we are forecasted heavy rains and crap weather so I might not be able to do much of anything with it. Today I'll also clean the barrel with some GooGone and just admire it I guess :D.  The gun fits perfectly in a large hard pistol case if anyone wants to know.

Ok now on to the pics  :)

arkmaker †

Nice review! How loud is it compared to a 2240?
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

BigErn

Quote from: arkmaker on April 05, 2013, 05:20:52 PM
Nice review! How loud is it compared to a 2240?
Rich

Thanks Rich  :-*  I'm terrible at reviews  :-[  It's not as loud as a 2240. It was getting quieter after more use. I don't think I'll have time with it today but will report next time about the loudness.

WyoMan

Thanks Big E......great pics and nice review  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

BDS

Excellent review Ern... and great pics too! Thanks for taking the time to do this.  :-*

Yes, a hard hitting spring gun is gonna make sights or scopes move, is there a stop-pin hole near or at the end of the dovetails?
Brian

RC1947

Excellent pics!  On springer pistols I shoot where sighting options move back on the dovetails, I pick up a BKL dovetail to weaver mount.  They will not move, ever. RC

Fronzdan

Great review BigErn!

I wonder if an adapter with more contact area would grip that dovetail better, as RC mantioned.  I doubt there's a stop pin hole.  Did you see any effects from the cocking device as others have?

It sure looks nice in those pics!  Well done.  Looking forward to hearing more.

KevinP

Thanks for the post.... still on the fence with this so to speak ...  :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

Brent

BDS

Quote from: RC1947 on April 05, 2013, 06:18:20 PM
Excellent pics!  On springer pistols I shoot where sighting options move back on the dovetails, I pick up a BKL dovetail to weaver mount.  They will not move, ever. RC

Ya, BKL are a nice pc of work, a single pc of aluminum mill-slotted to create a calmping rail and 4 or 5 screws to hold e'm in place right? They also center up perfectly on the gun, waaay better than the conventional 2 pc stuff from China.
Brian

BerkshireHunter

The review with the pics I was hoping to see. Top notch Ern, thanks!

Crosshairs

Nice job Ern the good looks better in your pictures then in Crosmans pictures.
                           Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Brent

Quote from: Crosshairs on April 06, 2013, 12:17:04 AM
Nice job Ern the good looks better in your pictures then in Crosmans pictures.
                           Mike

It does actually  :-*
Was thinking the same thing  :)

1377x

congrats!
nice looking shooter
great review!
closed mouths dont get fed

quickster47 †

BigErn, thanks for taking the time to post your review.  There seems to be a lot of consensus on this gun and so far it is looking pretty good.  Only more time will really tell in the long run as it gets out in to more and more user's hands.

Great set of pictures and overall a great review.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †