Early model 1377 American Classic

Started by Flex, May 03, 2013, 05:24:53 AM

Flex

Quote from: Flex on May 06, 2013, 04:52:50 PM
I'm not exactly sure when my F-I-L will be shipping / bringing the pistol to me. :( I told him that there was "no rush" but (or course) that was a lie! ;) In the meantime, I've asked him to take a few pics and email them to me. I will be posting them once I get them. I'm guessing that it's a Phase II but hopeful that it might just an earlier model. In reading other posts RE: 1st vs 2nd variants, it seems like there might me a "gray area" for the ones built in 1981. Are there any "absolutes" that clearly differentiate a 1st variant form a 2nd variant? Were there serial #s on the Crosman air guns built in the '70s & '80s? I know that all of this really doesn't make any difference since "it is what it is" and I won't be taking it back, but sometimes a guy "just gots ta know". Flex
So it's June 1st and it's also my wife's birthday (Happy Birthday to her!) :). Her sister is here for a visit and I'm out on the back deck chatting with her and enjoying a beer on what's turned out to be a pretty decent day considering the nasty, rainy, stormy weather we've been seeing here in the Midwest over the past couple of weeks. The dog's going nutz over something, who knows? A few minutes late my wife comes out and says that UPS just dropped off her Birthday box from her Mom and Dad AND there's something in there for me there too :D! If you haven't already guessed, my  F-I-L came thru and sent me my 2nd variant American Classic 8)! Needless to say I was pretty excited. I hadn't expected to see it until mid-July when we were going to see them next. Downside was the fact that the "Fun Police" (you know who) wasn't in on the deal :o and was of the opinion that I already had too many air guns (is there such a number?). She was distracted by the fact that the bulk of the stuff in the box was for her so I think I'm in the clear for the time being :-*. First thing that I noticed was it was in much better shape than I had remembered. It's got a bit of "dingage" here and there but nothing major and it's a bit dirty but I'm thinkin' it will clean up nicely. It's most definitely a 2nd variant. Plastic breech and 2 piece grip panels. A couple other noticeable differences from the current 1377s include a plastic trigger (I thought it might be brass), a 2 screw cover plate over the trigger linkage with straight blade screws, and square drive front breech screw. I'm hoping that there's a brass valve. I'll find that out soon enough. Since it's hardly a collector's piece, I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do with it. First thing will be a complete disassembly. A valve rebuild may be done on general principles alone. Looks like another parts order in the near future. Anyway, here's a few pic for your delight and edification ;).

As usual, I'm always happy to read about what others think about what's posted. Looking forward to the replies. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

arkmaker †

Oh yeah! Looks like that will clean up nicely  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

mudduck48

Move the pump forearm out of the way and remove the front screw that holds the grip frame and you will see either brass or allum. What are the first 3 numbers on the searial number? That will tell you when it was made. Looks nice. :-\
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Flex

Quote from: mudduck48 on June 02, 2013, 03:04:42 AM
Move the pump forearm out of the way and remove the front screw that holds the grip frame and you will see either brass or allum. What are the first 3 numbers on the searial number? That will tell you when it was made. Looks nice. :-\
I'd be pleased if the valve was brass but I guess it really doesn't matter since it is what it is. BTW, the first 3 digits of the ser # are 894 so that would give a "born on" date of Aug 1994. Right? Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

rangerfredbob

It should have a brass valve, it looks exactly like mine. I have an '02 1377 that had a brass valve, unless that one has been pulled apart after that and had a new valve put in it it'll be brass.

Not a bad find, that's in better shape than mine, might want to look at the inside of the barrel and see what the rifling looks like as that will have a magnet to push BB's...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

mudduck48

Quote from: Flex on June 02, 2013, 05:23:01 AM
I'd be pleased if the valve was brass but I guess it really doesn't matter since it is what it is. BTW, the first 3 digits of the ser # are 894 so that would give a "born on" date of Aug 1994. Right? Flex
That's right.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Crosshairs

Yeah that should clean up nicely i would disassemble it this way you can clean her up real good.
                Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Flex

Quote from: Crosshairs on June 02, 2013, 09:11:30 PM
Yeah that should clean up nicely i would disassemble it this way you can clean her up real good.
                Mike
The more I look at this pellet gun the more I wonder why I passed it up the first time I saw it at the resale shop. For some reason my 1st impression was that it was kind of a beater. I'm seeing now that is hardly the case. The main issue RE: it's appearance is that it was kinda dusty/dirty. A quick wipe down and some detailing action with an old toothbrush took all of that away. I've noticed on the cocking knob and the outer rim of the muzzle that there may have been some inadvertent contact with some concrete. It doesn't appear to have been dropped tho and the crown looks fine. I'm not certain whether on not it's ever been disassembled. The rear breech/sight screw and the screw holding the breech cover to the bolt look a little bit "Bubba'd". None of the other screws show signs that Bubba had had his way with them. Of course, that's not to say that someone who knows what he/she is doing hasn't worked on it. I've not had a good look at the bore but from what I can see, there's still rifling left (maybe not too many BBs) and no noticeable pitting. The "lawn furniture" is pristine and other than the "dingage" on the cocking knob and the muzzle the metal parts are in excellent condition. I'll have to report on the internals when I get around to taking her apart (should be soon). Later. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

1377x

you know that gun probably cost $30otd new they hold their value
I have a phase 2 since. my dad bought it new and would not let me touch it, he knew what would happen if I got my hands on it. after finding this forum this is how it looks today, you guessed what he knew would happen happened ;)
closed mouths dont get fed

Flex

Quote from: 1377x on June 03, 2013, 05:50:33 AM
I have a phase 2 since. my dad bought it new and would not let me touch it, he knew what would happen if I got my hands on it. after finding this forum this is how it looks today, you guessed what he knew would happen happened ;)
You've done just a bit more than I have planned for mine ;) BUT I will concede that yours is one nice lookin' air gun! I'm happy that these things hold their value  :). When I passed on the deal when I first saw it, the guy wanted $30 OTD. I'm thinking my F-I-L might have got him down to $25 but I'm not sure. As it turns out, although it's a bit early, this is to be my birthday present. (My in-laws are great!) :-* Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

Cwlongshot

Quote from: 1377x on June 03, 2013, 05:50:33 AM

I like the way your displaying it for the pictures!!  :-\ :-\ :-\

CW
BENJAMIN's: 392PA '11 • Marauder .25 • MAC1 tuned Disco .22 • 397P Nickle '81

CROSMAN's:  1389 Back Packer .20 '86 • Hawthorne M140 4th variant • 357 W/8'' '90 • 760 '75 • 1377 '13 CARBINE LOTS ''O'' Mods • 2200 Magnum '81 (First Gen) • 2100 '13 • 2240 '13 

DAISY's:  25 '10 • Red Ryder • 22X • 922

DIANA's:  34 .22 '05 (RWS)

SHERIDAN's:  Blue Streak '82  Steroid • Blue Streak '65 Steroid • Blue Streak '70 • Blue Streak '72 • C9 Blue Streak

WEBLY's:  Longbow .177 • Hurricane  .177

XISICO's:  XS60c .22 PCP

1377x

Quote from: Cwlongshot on June 03, 2013, 04:48:50 PM
I like the way your displaying it for the pictures!!  :-\ :-\ :-\

CW
thanks

Quote from: Flex on June 03, 2013, 03:19:31 PM
You've done just a bit more than I have planned for mine ;) BUT I will concede that yours is one nice lookin' air gun! I'm happy that these things hold their value  :). When I passed on the deal when I first saw it, the guy wanted $30 OTD. I'm thinking my F-I-L might have got him down to $25 but I'm not sure. As it turns out, although it's a bit early, this is to be my birthday present. (My in-laws are great!) :-* Flex
most of the time when you flash the cash its as good as sold. if they let you walk away then they really don't want to sell in the first place
this is the only gun I will ever keep, all other guns I own have a price tag on them except my glock30 ;) had to go all out on it. it even sports a phase 1 760 piston, works just as good as the flat top pistons made today although some will say otherwise.
imo they are a far better gun than the 1377/pc77 made today. brass valve and heavy hammer spring came stock
the aluminum valves corrode and will become useless if care is not taken. I don't feel like breaking my gun down every few months to make sure corrosion isn't stetting in, don't have to do that with a brass valve
my seals kept for 20+ years without an issue. only changed them because I start modding the gun and sais why not it deserves new seals after 20+ years of use. my dad kept it oiled and treated it with care. any gun will keep if you treat it right
when my dad bought it it had a $28.88 price tag on it from Gibson's.
it still is a work in progress the grip frame needs to be refinished. i'll send it to a forum member that does the powder coating when I get time to finish removing all the casting marks
closed mouths dont get fed

Flex

Quote from: 1377x on June 03, 2013, 11:01:29 PM
imo they are a far better gun than the 1377/pc77 made today. brass valve and heavy hammer spring came stock
the aluminum valves corrode and will become useless if care is not taken. I start modding the gun and sais why not it deserves new seals after 20+ years of use. my dad kept it oiled and treated it with care. any gun will keep if you treat it right
it still is a work in progress the grip frame needs to be refinished. i'll send it to a forum member that does the powder coating when I get time to finish removing all the casting marks
That was the afterthought that I had on the trip back home a few days after I had passed on this pellet gun. Since I knew that it was an early model (just didn't have any specifics), I should have just bought it on the potential of better internal components. In all fairness tho, I do also have one of the latest versions of the 1377 (the infamous Amazon.com $40 special) and I'm totally pleased with it! I have had no issues with it what-so-ever and it's darn accurate! I will now, of course, be paying more attention to keeping the internal components in good condition. As for the future of my newest addition, I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing with/to it. So I guess it's a work in stasis. I've been considering switching to .22 cal with the parts that I have left over from a barrel upgrade and steel breech swap out on my BackPacker. For now however, it's just going to be disassembly, fluff & buff, reassembly. I too, noticed the casting marks on the grip frame and wondered if I should smooth them out. I'm not planning on putting too much $$$ into it so I doubt that powder coating will be happening. I bet it would look nice tho. I know that some folks strip and polish the zamak 3 for a nice looking grip frame. I've polished some of the zamak 3 components on a couple of my powder burners with good results. We'll have to see. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

Crosshairs

Here is my phase I 1377 made in 1977 it has the steel breech and one piece grips, shoots great.
                             Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Flex

Quote from: Crosshairs on June 04, 2013, 03:55:18 AM
Here is my phase I 1377 made in 1977 it has the steel breech and one piece grips, shoots great.
                             Mike
Very nice. Family Heirloom?
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol