Finaly caved and "Went for the Steel"!

Started by Flex, May 15, 2013, 04:28:19 AM

Fronzdan

Plastic breeches are always the first thing to go for me.

jSan22

I was suffering with the stock plastic. one for awhile before I switched to steel recently. it does add a considerable amount of heft. to the gun, but makes it steady.

Flex

A couple of quick questions for those of you with lots of experience with the steel breeches. 1st, is there any reason that the 1377 kit comes with a replacement rear breech screw and the 2240 kit doesn't? Both went together just fine and both shoot just fine too! 2nd, for those that use the black steel bolt that comes with the kits, is there an issue with the handle coming off at an inopportune time? (like when out in the woods). Is it advisable to put a bit of loc-tite on the threads? Thanks. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

Crosshairs

Quote from: Flex on May 16, 2013, 02:10:49 AM
A couple of quick questions for those of you with lots of experience with the steel breeches. 1st, is there any reason that the 1377 kit comes with a replacement rear breech screw and the 2240 kit doesn't? Both went together just fine and both shoot just fine too! 2nd, for those that use the black steel bolt that comes with the kits, is there an issue with the handle coming off at an inopportune time? (like when out in the woods). Is it advisable to put a bit of loc-tite on the threads? Thanks. Flex
The 1377 breech has a wider OD then the 2240 breech OD,if your concerned about the bolt in the woods bring a extra one and some tools you wont need many or have another back up gun.
            mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Fronzdan

Use some of the non-permanent loctite.

Flex

Quote from: Crosshairs on May 16, 2013, 02:26:11 AM
The 1377 breech has a wider OD then the 2240 breech OD,if your concerned about the bolt in the woods bring a extra one and some tools you wont need many or have another back up gun.
            mike
I'll stand corrected immediately if I'm mistaken, but I thought that the only difference between the steel breech kits for the .177cal guns and the .22cal guns, was the bolt that came with them and even then, the difference there is only at the very tip. To be sure, I went down to the Man Cave and measured the OD of both breeches; they were within a couple thousandths of each other (0.744"-0.746"). Then I measured the stock bolts. They were essentially identical except for the tips and the O-rings that seal the breech. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding RE: my question. I put the steel breeches on my BackPacker and American Classic. I don't have a 2240 but the steel breech part # for the .22cal guns is 2240SBPK (I'm sure it fits on a Crosman 2240 tho). I thought that the rear breech screw might need to be shorter because the sight is no longer there but it's the same configuration on the BackPacker and I used the stock screw on that gun. Since they both seems to work fine, I guess I was just curious. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

onebaddj

Nice looking pair! Its all down hill from here though and since the parts are really cheap its a very slick slope. Lol my rocommendation for the next project is worth its weight in gold and best of all can be free! Work the trigger over real good to get all the slop out and lighten it up. Will make a ton of difference in accuracy too! Good luck dude.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

JEBert

I have always thought that Crosman's steel breeches are all the same and the only difference is the bolt and that the bolt needs to be matched to the barrel caliber.  I have mixed and matched a few of them and as long as I put a .177 barrel with a .177 barrel and a .22 bolt with a .22 barrel, they have all worked out just fine.  However, as far as the rear breech screws go, the original screw that goes through the original plastic sight has always been too long.  I have even had a rear screw that came with a steel breech kit turn out to be too long but I thought it was because I ordered it as a 2240SBPK and put it on a 1377 and the fact that the 1377's air tube and rear tube cap is a smaller diameter that the screw was too long and caused the hammer spring to bind.  Now I always check the screw length and usually use an aftermarket Allen-head screw and cut/grind it to length myself.
Bottom line is; make sure it is not interfering with the hammer spring.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

agninja

I used the same long breech screw and just put a washer under it and it seems to work nicely.

It actually chrony'd a few fps slower after I replaced the spring, but the difference was negligible. It doesn't appear that the long screw binding the spring effects velocity, but it does make the cocking a little smoother.
Black air pistols matter.

onebaddj

First steel breech I installed I did it without the rear sight and the original screw was in the spring which stopped me from being able to cock the gun. Drove me nucking futs for about 20 minutes pulling it apart over and over. Now when I replace one I cut about 3/8 of an inch off with the dremel. Put a nut on it first then cut and dress the end then when you take the nut off it will help perfect the threads on the way off preventing cross threading.

And if you do booger up the screws the ones that hold lights and ceiling fans up are the same thread as the rear breech screws. Just cut to fit.

As for the breeches I have swapped them from my 1377 to both of my 22xx guns and vise versa to see what all the caliber and barrel length combos would do. They all swapped out seamlessly.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

uncletom

Crosman breeches, plastic as well as metal ones have the same radius, and are made for models using CO2 cartridges, like the 2240 and 2300. They're not intended for the variable pump-guns such as models 1377 and 1322 as these have a lesser body diameter. Breeches simply don't fit well. Any one noticed this?

It's actually pretty outrageous, they never bothered manufacturing a breech for the 1377/1322.

CraigH

Quote from: uncletom on March 03, 2024, 09:42:21 PMCrosman breeches, plastic as well as metal ones have the same radius, and are made for models using CO2 cartridges, like the 2240 and 2300. They're not intended for the variable pump-guns such as models 1377 and 1322 as these have a lesser body diameter. Breeches simply don't fit well. Any one noticed this?

It's actually pretty outrageous, they never bothered manufacturing a breech for the 1377/1322.

Cannot disagree - it would only be a matter of using a different diameter ball end mill.  But they don't move about - on my one example, a 1322 carbine which I rarely shoot.  Most of my CAPOF guns are 22xx pistols and carbines.  I would be interested in knowing of experiences of steel breeches, kit or OEM, on 13xx guns which may impart more stress on the platform  due to pumping.  But I have seen (with modest experience) no issue pumping 25 times with the 1322 that has an FTP.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

uncletom

Well, pumping does not affect the breech in any way, these are two individual functions. How do you mean?

Flex

Quote from: uncletom on March 03, 2024, 09:42:21 PMCrosman breeches, plastic as well as metal ones have the same radius, and are made for models using CO2 cartridges, like the 2240 and 2300. They're not intended for the variable pump-guns such as models 1377 and 1322 as these have a lesser body diameter. Breeches simply don't fit well. Any one noticed this?

I'm not exactly sure of what is meant when you say "Breeches simply don't fit well."? I have steel (OEM / Crosman) breeches mounted on my 1377 & 1322 and had no issues either installing them or with their use on the pumper platform. Perhaps you could explain in more detail what you meant.
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Daisy 105 B
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Daisy 717 target pistol

uncletom

Quote from: Flex on March 09, 2024, 03:54:26 PMexplain in more detail

Ofcourse. Looking at both pistols from the side we notice that the diameter of the main tube (body) has a larger diameter on the Crosman 2240, than on the 1377 and 1322 pump-guns.

You cannot view this attachment.

Taking another look from the rear at each gun, because the breeches are identical (these are the plastic type) they fit differently. On the 2240 it fits flush and nicely together as the radius of the breech's bottom follows the diameter of the pistol body.

Since the 1377 / 1322 have a smaller body diameter, this breech does not fit perfectly. It is still usable and mounts well with exact match of screw holes, and being mechanically compatible. However, it does not mate with the bottom of the breech very well.

And the same goes for the metal breeches, as they are intended for the larger diameter body of the 2240 and 2300, the CO2 type guns, the breeches *could* fit the 1377 and 1322 too, however with the difference in diameter of body the radius of the breech bottom will only fit perfectly on the CO2 type pistols.

Let me know if you'd like further explanation.