Puncturing Co2 Carts

Started by Baltim0re28, May 17, 2013, 05:49:54 AM

Baltim0re28

Last time I had my 2400kt out it wasn't puncturing the Co2 cartridge like it had usually been doing. It was barely making a hole in the tip of the cart. Since then I have been finishing off my 2289, currently building a 1377 and bought a 2240 so I haven't messed with the 2400kt at all. Thinking this weekend ill get it out and shoot it but wanted to hear your thoughts on the problem. I believe I had read somewhere that if you have your trigger over travel screw set too close to the trigger where it stops it right as it fires, it puts drag on the seer and doesn't "hit" as hard. In turn, not puncturing the cart enough. If i remember correctly, i think i was messing with that after the first few times i took it out to shoot. Anyone else have any experience with this or can elaborate? This is where I'll probably start with my troubleshooting to see if it was the culprit, if not maybe its time to order parts from Crosman..
James.

JEBert

I have had that exact thing happen with a trigger over-travel screw adjusted too close on a 1377.  It would only dump 6 pumps worth of air in the valve until I backed-off of the over-travel screw a little more.  The drag was causing too light of a hit from the hammer to dump all of the air with more than 6 pumps in it.  I expect that on a Co2 gun the problem would have been too light of a hit on the cart.
I think I had to back it off at least 1/2 turn after the sear released to dump 10 pumps of air (factory piston and valve).
As always, your mileage may vary.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Baltim0re28

Thanks Jerry. I thought I had heard before that it could cause a problem if the over travel screw is tightened too much but wasn't sure. With hearing that you experienced the same problem I'm betting that backing off the screw a little bit may fix my problem. Should get some shooting time this weekend to find out. Thanks for the info.
James.

quickster47 †

I have a couple of 2300S pistols with the old style triggerframe and it still escapes me to understand how not permitting the trigger to go farther than the point of releasing the sear HOLDS THE SEAR AGAINST the hammer. If you look at the levers involved nothing can hold the sear lever against the hammer other than the spring/assembly which doesn't directly connect to the trigger blade. Once the sear is released it will drag against the hammer with the force of the sear spring ONLY, the trigger blade NEVER exerts an upward force on the sear lever.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Baltim0re28

I really don't understand it myself, seems like it wouldn't matter as long as the sear releases from the hammer ???. That'a another reason that I asked was to see if you guys had heard of this before and if so, could help me understand a little bit better of what is causing it to happen. I could see having the grip frame side panel shimmed and tightened too much could cause a problem also. Kind of weird tho if it is the trigger over travel screw.. I'm not gonna do anything else to the gun besides loosen the screw and ill report back if it helped.
James.

rangerfredbob

take out the cart and have a look at the seal on the valve, my bet is it is squished not letting the cart to be pierced. This is apparently pretty common because of tightening the cap like a man not a little girl like it should be...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Gareth

I've yet to experience this annoying problem with my 2300KT pistol, or 2400KT carbine, but I have had it happen with my Tech Force 78 rifle which utilizes two 12 gram cartridges.

Baltim0re28

Quote from: rangerfredbob on May 17, 2013, 03:18:28 PM
take out the cart and have a look at the seal on the valve, my bet is it is squished not letting the cart to be pierced. This is apparently pretty common because of tightening the cap like a man not a little girl like it should be...

Ill have a look at that if backing the screw off doesn't work. I try not to hulk the Co2 cap on there when I tighten it but may have tightened it a little too much one of the last few times I put a new cart in.
James.

JEBert

I think that because the front of the hammer is rounded a little, it releases just a little bit before the sear completely clears it.  with the over-travel setscrew limiting the trigger from moving the sear to fully clear the hammer, the sear spring causes the sear to drag against the bottom of the hammer as it passes.
Just my thoughts,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Baltim0re28

Quote from: JEBert on May 17, 2013, 05:06:58 PM
I think that because the front of the hammer is rounded a little, it releases just a little bit before the sear completely clears it.  with the over-travel setscrew limiting the trigger from moving the sear to fully clear the hammer, the sear spring causes the sear to drag against the bottom of the hammer as it passes.
Just my thoughts,

Makes sense.. :-*
James.

breakfastchef

Quote from: JEBert on May 17, 2013, 05:06:58 PM
Just my thoughts,

x2. When the over-travel screw is set in too far, it prevents the trigger from going backwards enough to fully push the sear down and away from the hammer. This condition not only can mess with the cartridge puncture, but can also reduce velocity and provide higher than normal shot counts.
Larry

Baltim0re28

Quote from: breakfastchef on May 17, 2013, 05:41:30 PM
x2. When the over-travel screw is set in too far, it prevents the trigger from going backwards enough to fully push the sear down and away from the hammer. This condition not only can mess with the cartridge puncture, but can also reduce velocity and provide higher than normal shot counts.

The reduced velocity that you mentioned is probably also the reason why I was hitting low on the target and had to re zero my scope the last time I had it out.
James.

Brent

First time I have ever heard this. Makes sense though. Thanks Larry! :-*
Need to check mine now... I like them set fairly close.

Baltim0re28

Found out today that after backing the over travel screw out a little bit, it was putting nice clean holes in the cart again. Was also shooting a lot better than the last time I had it out. Thanks for all the input on this subject.
James.

nomobux

Great. Nice little tidbit of info to know.
" I GOTTS NOMOBUX "