beeman P17

Started by mudduck48, June 04, 2013, 04:44:08 AM

Brent

Quote from: mudduck48 on June 04, 2013, 05:01:21 PM
I have been using some older Crosman FP pellets I bought off ebay. I'm cheep, I always look for a bargain, like .01 cent per pellet. If you have any ebay bucks to use, you can get them cheeper. Here they is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crosman-Copperhead-177-Cal-Air-Gun-Pellets-8-Packages-4000-pellets-FREE-SHIP-/221217315327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33819459ff#ht_140wt_1170
Yah... I'm cheap too ;) The Daisy's are a little less than a penny also. ($3.50 per 500 @ Tractor Supply)
Does your gun like those Cooperheads OK?

mudduck48

Yes, it does ok with them. Of course, they are not super duper match grade pellets, but for shooting, they work fine. I use them in my Daisy 880 and the 1377 also.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

BDS

$39.95 at PA - 10% $35.95

The P17 is prob the best bargain in airguns, all it needs is a little cleaning and o-ring lube and it's 90% as good as the $270 P3 it copies  :-*
Brian

Noah

I had a P17 and shot LOTS of pellets through it and gave it to a friend in exchange of some work. Man, I wish I never gave it away because by the time he received the gem, it had already been well broken in and dead accurate. For the price, you can't go wrong with this pellet pistol  :-*
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

mudduck48

Quote from: rangerfredbob on June 04, 2013, 03:51:23 PM
I got a Marksman 2004 (same as a P17 just before it was branded as a Beeman) and a 1377 for $40 used :), I'm a big fan of the 2004/P17, I haven't touched it and it shoots great
You got a darn good dead and two really great guns.

brz-ryder †

Quote from: BDS on June 04, 2013, 08:38:39 PM
$39.95 at PA - 10% $35.95

The P17 is prob the best bargain in airguns, all it needs is a little cleaning and o-ring lube and it's 90% as good as the $270 P3 it copies  :-*
$35.95 + $10.16 shipping = $46.11 thats the shipping for me ni Pa so the $39.51 with free shipping is the better deal

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

mudduck48

As with all things on Amazon, you have to jump on deals when you see them. The P17 for $32.51 + $7.08 shipping is gone. The $32.51 is still there, but the raised the shipping to $13.18. O-WELL. You have to jump on the deals when you see them. But, $46 for a gun that is this great, is still a great buy. Better than a Crosman C-11.

Brent

Had actually had this bookmarked for when I wanted the next one, or one as a present.
$37.80 shipped ground.
http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Beeman-P17-Deluxe-Pellet-PistolNo-Sight-2004_p_10859.html

If you want the package with the red dot included, add $5.00. That's what I got when I got this one.

It is OK. Pretty much the same inexpensive red dot scope as Crosman sells. The Daisy is better though, in my opinion.

BDS

$13.14 for shipping? That's over 50% of the purchase price? ???

Clever advertising at $24.66 sales price, oughta bring in the same folks who pay $28 in shipping for those "great" Cheaper Than Dirt store bargain co2 cartridges! :D
Brian

Brent

Yep... but the total cost is still within the less than $40 ;)
Ground is $12.79   ;)

Looks like Amazon got some back in stock today for $40 w/ free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Beeman-Deluxe-Pellet-Sight-Pistol/dp/B000W30UAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370378587&sr=1-1&keywords=p17

With the red dot $45 w/ free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Beeman-P17-Deluxe-Pellet-Pistol/dp/B00162JJCG/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370378587&sr=1-4&keywords=p17

mudduck48

Quote from: Brent on June 04, 2013, 09:48:27 PM
Yep... but the total cost is still within the less than $40 ;)
Ground is $12.79   ;)

Looks like Amazon got some back in stock today for $40 w/ free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Beeman-Deluxe-Pellet-Sight-Pistol/dp/B000W30UAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370378587&sr=1-1&keywords=p17

With the red dot $45 w/ free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Beeman-P17-Deluxe-Pellet-Pistol/dp/B00162JJCG/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370378587&sr=1-4&keywords=p17
The Amazon deal is a good deal, unless you live in Ca. Amazon charges me sales tax on top of that price, so it would be $42.99 here in Ca.

Tater

Question for the class: I got my wife one of these, it's her only airgun but she  loves it. She uses the open sights. The problem is I/we haven't been able to shoot much at all lately (long story).
We have less than 100 pellets through it and it works fine stock. I already bought a metric o-ring set from HF.
Should I swap o-rings, lube...etc. or just shoot it as is until there's issues?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Brent

Jerry, I would just shoot it as is, if it was me. I didn't notice any great difference in mine, when I changed the orings in it. Probably had around 1000 or slightly more shots through it at that point.

The only reason I did it, was I was actually curious if I would maybe see an improvement in doing so. Figured as much as I had shot it at that point... it could use a freshen up - but honestly it shot about the same as far as I could tell.

The orings I used were decent quality, I know there are some better ones out there... but in knowing how this thing works, and the capacity of the components, I don't thing better ones would have made a difference that I could notice without a crony. If anything, maybe a tad more fps with better ones ???

Have read a ton on the P17 on the Net, and no one seems to get them much past the low 400s in fps... without doing some machining and serious mods... oring replacement or not.

With 100 rounds... you guys have a while yet I would think.

The one thing I am pretty confident about though... is that using a grease like lithium for the piston... could come back to haunt you. After about the first 250 rounds, mine was shooting noticeably slower, and it ended up the grease had gotten past the oring some, and down into the bottom of the tube, and then into the little hole that puts the air into the valve. Basically, grease had gotten into my valve. Took the piston out, cleaned out all the grease in the tube (and there was grease in the bottom)... and took the valve out and cleaned it too (couldn't find much in there).

Substituted pelligun oil as the lubricant for the piston/ oring, and all has been good. It is not a big deal if a tiny bit of the pelligunoil gets into the valve, and it actually does just a very very little once in awhile. Helps keep everything lubed... that's a good thing.

Granted the grease that got into the valve was the cheap Chinese grease, I don't see the lithium being much better for not clogging the valve up eventually. To thick, need a thinner lubricant.

DON'T put pelligunoil in the tube (or bottom) as you are reassembling it, as that gets/ pushes some into the valve then and restricts the air getting in enough, and you can't close the first pump/cocking stroke after you have just put it back together... and then you start over. Don't ask me how I know ;) ;D

Put a Little on the piston/ oring itself (just a film is enough), and reassemble it. Once it is back together, about 2 or 3 more drops on the piston... move it in and out to spread it out... and you are set to go.

I put about 3 or 4 more drops on the piston, when I can't see it anymore... about every 200 to 250 shots or so. The piston and oring look no worse for wear, and I am up to 13 or 1400 shots now. The old oring that came out after about 1000 shots looked fine also... I could reuse it (all of them actually, except for the little breech/ barrel oring) again.

Hope that helps! :)

mudduck48

Quote from: Tater on June 05, 2013, 01:48:34 AM
Question for the class: I got my wife one of these, it's her only airgun but she  loves it. She uses the open sights. The problem is I/we haven't been able to shoot much at all lately (long story).
We have less than 100 pellets through it and it works fine stock. I already bought a metric o-ring set from HF.
Should I swap o-rings, lube...etc. or just shoot it as is until there's issues?
The valve o-ring is a size 006 and the piston is a 116

T191032

Got the Beeman P-3 (Weihrauch HW40 - German made) locally a few years back.  Light (!) trigger.

Heard a lot about the lower cost Chinese production models on the net.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.