What do you guys do with lead?

Started by ajhuff, July 06, 2013, 05:29:35 AM

T191032

"But at some point when the target box is full, then what, how do you dispose of the lead?"

Agree with other posts, if you do not reload for powder burners, makes wonderful friends with someone who does!
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

ettolo

I remember that when I was a boy (2 or 3 years ago....),  i used to melt plumbing lead and pour it into water: after the smoke went away i had great sculptures!
Waiting to get much lead from my pellets to try that again!

PLEASE, SAFETY FIRST: DONT'TRY THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!

mudduck48

Quote from: T191032 on July 08, 2013, 01:52:43 PM
"But at some point when the target box is full, then what, how do you dispose of the lead?"

Agree with other posts, if you do not reload for powder burners, makes wonderful friends with someone who does!
I'll take it. And I'll take the wheel weights off your car too, if they are lead.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Fronzdan

I shall henceforth start saving pellet lead!

BDS

Build a 1/2" thick plywood box but... line it with (at least) 20 gage (.0359" ) sheet steel and you will never have to worry about "eating" up the plywood over time.

Also, make a curtain rod type device inside the box to hold a piece of heavy carpet (noise killer and pellet velocity killer) that hangs about 3" away from the backstop surface and is the same size as the interior dims of the box. You want this to hang so that it absorbs energy versus being glued or nailed to the backstop where it just let's pellets pass through into the sheet steel. Two (2) pieces of carpet is even better.

Last, get (or make from wood) a deep-dish pan to fit into the bottom of the trap, this should be at least 3" deep and will catch 95% 0f the pellets that fall of of or bounce off of the carpet pieces. Slide it out every now and then and dump the pellets.
Brian

JEBert

That's a great idea, Brian.
I'm going to find a large, metal, 3" deep baking pan and build a pellet trap/target holder with two layers of carpet around it out of the scrap plywood I have left over from a job I did.
Thanks!
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)