What is your preferred shooting direction?

Started by woody67, July 09, 2013, 06:40:17 PM

woody67

This is a random question, but do you prefer to shoot:

A.  Straight and level
B. On an upward angle (ex, shooting a bird off a tree branch)
C. On a downward angle (ex, shooting a squirrel out in the yard)

Also, has anyone else ever 'skipped' a pellet to make the shot they were going for? I do it all the time when I'm shooting at lizards. If they are on a sidewalk or patio, or large flat rock I'll shoot a bit short of them and skip the pellet off the ground and into them.
I've also had a few situations where I didn't have a straight line to make the shot at all, and skipping the pellet was the only option.

KevinP

A and c ... b - be careful where the pellet is going.
I have also skipped shot, fun and challenging, but did hit the house once  :o
Kevin
Albany, New York

USMA-1982

C.  The ground makes a good backstop, provided it's not a hard surface. 
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

quickster47 †

A, B, and C.  You need to be able to shoot all three cause your target is not always going to be in the same place.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

BDS

Ditto to Carl but mostly flat and level.
Brian

woody67

I like shooting all directions as well, but I think I like shooting at a slightly elevated angle a little better than the rest. 

T191032

Since most of what I do is punching paper, I try for "A. Straight and level", though when outside shooting the powder burners into the  sand trap, its likely to be "C. On a downward angle".

It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

Crosshairs

Good question. I shoot from all a,b, and c I have targets set up on the floor some right in front of me and one or two high. I will also sit on the floor or kneel down when i practice.
                                        Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

As a kid I did all three, but mostly straight and pretty much level these days. If I start hunting tree rats again, I will need to practice shooting both up and down again  :-*
Lately, just hitting a target straight on is a challenge  ;D
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

woody67

Quote from: Crosshairs on July 10, 2013, 11:19:27 AM
Good question. I shot from all a,b, and c I have targets set up on the floor some right in front of me and one or two high. I will also sit on the floor or kneel down when i practice.
                                        Mike

Mike, I like how you have that all set up. Nice, neat and clean...plus the added safety of the carpet to stop bounce backs. If I remember correctly, that's in your attic, right?

Crosshairs

Quote from: woody67 on July 10, 2013, 05:47:37 PM
Mike, I like how you have that all set up. Nice, neat and clean...plus the added safety of the carpet to stop bounce backs. If I remember correctly, that's in your attic, right?

Thanks Woody yes it's my attic it also has two sheets of 3/4" behind the carpet. I will have to update the picture i now have a shelf instead of boxes holding the wood traps.
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Trophyhunter49

A B &C !  I have never skipped a pellet! All the shooting I do is on my place and there are on big rocks or anything that hard to skip off ! But mostly  straight !