New CCS 2400kt

Started by Chadtheguru, July 11, 2013, 07:37:59 PM

Petrifiedwood

Quote from: JEBert on July 15, 2013, 09:31:28 PM
Just a regular handsaw for wood will work but to do a good job, put it in a miter box or use a miter saw.  I used an electric miter saw set at 0 degrees and put the comb (top) of the stock against the fence to get 90 degrees and it worked very well.  The first cut was made just clear of the inside of the butt and the second one after sliding the stock two inches minus the width of the saw kerf.
Be careful when aligning the pieces for drilling.  You don't have to worry about breaking anything but you want it near perfectly aligned when you drill the holes because that determines how aligned the parts are when you are finished.  Align, drill, and install the screw on the heel (top-rear corner of the stock) first and then the toe (bottom-rear).  To get the toe to align, you will have to flex the lower arm a little.  It flexes easily enough but you will see how tough these stocks are.
I didn't realize that the lower arm gets a little thicker than the toe as you go forward and when I aligned the one side and installed the screw, the other side needed sanding down to get it flush.  I haven't decided whether to sand the whole thing down or try to put some texture on where I sanded.  It's been over a year and I have stopped worrying about it.
Cheers,

You might be able to fix the sanded look by sandblasting it to remove the straight lines from sanding, then hit it with a torch very quickly, just enough to melt the surface to give it a gloss appearance, but not enough to make the plastic bubble. It's an old trick car stereo installers use to hide scratches in plastic interior panels. ;)

JEBert

I have two small sections of the stock that I cut out to test it on but it will have to wait until after the Gauntlet II gun.  Been working way too much and not getting to play enough.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Chadtheguru

I finally got to shoot a little today and FINALLY started getting acceptable groups. The good news is that it isn't my gun, its my technique. My dad-in-law and I put probably 60 pellets through it at about 30 feet.

When I finally stopped playing around and concentrated on good technique, clear eye-relief, good and consistent cheek plant, I got a couple good groups. I did a group of five with two strays within an inch and a half of the bull and the other three in the same hole. I was thrilled!

I think I'm gonna like this hobby.   :-\
Chad

breakfastchef

Quote from: Chadtheguru on July 17, 2013, 04:25:31 AM
When I finally stopped playing around and concentrated on good technique, clear eye-relief, good and consistent cheek plant, I got a couple good groups.

You had a good day it seems. Folks think that benchrest shooting is easy, but you really do have to have excellent technique to produce excellent groupings. When resting the gun, concentrate on good trigger technique.
Larry

targettgii

I find that to be true myself.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

Chadtheguru

Quote from: breakfastchef on July 17, 2013, 05:03:15 AM

You had a good day it seems. Folks think that benchrest shooting is easy, but you really do have to have excellent technique to produce excellent groupings. When resting the gun, concentrate on good trigger technique.

Yup. And practice, practice, practice. That's the fun part. :)
Chad