Leak? Seeing whisps of white 'smoke' while shooting

Started by wahoowad, July 28, 2013, 07:34:15 PM

wahoowad

While aiming for my next shot I see whisps of curling white 'smoke' (I know it is not smoke) escape from my new 2300. I can't quite figure out where they are coming out of the gun - they are gone as quick as I see them. Generally see it after cokcing and aiming down the barrel for my next shot. Is this a leak? Or is is gas escaping from some small frozen areas?

I'm using Crosman powerlets, with a drop of pellgun oil on top of every 3 or 4 powerlets.

BigErn

Where does the smoke come from? Sounds like a small leak somewhere, I had a similar problem recently and it was leaking from the transfer port.

1377x

the smoke you see is co2 vapor
your gun could be leaking at the powerlet
try tightening the co2 endcap just little more than you are now
how tight do you tighten the cap?
hand tight? more than that? ???
closed mouths dont get fed

breakfastchef

Seems pretty normal. There is always some vapor. If you shoot in a humid environment, you may see more vapor than normal. Unless the gun is underperforming I would not worry about it.
Larry

wahoowad

Quote from: 1377x on July 28, 2013, 08:08:26 PM
how tight do you tighten the cap?
hand tight? more than that? ???

Yes, hand tight. Maybe 90% as tight as I can get it. Not enough that it hurts my fingers. How tight is hand tight? Very firm but not losing skin on the knurling?

It is pretty humid here today - Virginia.

1377x

i guess hand tight depends on the user
i usually turn the cap until i cant turn it anymore then use a quarter to turn it a little more not much maybe a 1/8 of a turn
i see vapor after a shot not when i cocked the gun though
try waiting a minute after a shot before cocking see if the vapor is still there when you do cock it. it could be residual vapor from the last shot.
another thing is it is most likely escaping the tube through the vent hole at the bottom of the tube above grip frame

closed mouths dont get fed

brz-ryder †

Something no one mentioned its a new gun did you clean the barrel out good? airguns do smoke some if you didn`t run cleaning cloths thru the barrel until clean ie no shipping oil on patch  ???

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

KevinP

There is always some vapor

I have found if you hold the gun up between shots you will get less, down you will get more...
( or is it the other way around )  :D
especially when I 88gram ed my 2240, it would ( smoke ) so to speak ,,,
I think the liquid co2 was blasting out, but as always I could be wrong ....
Kevin
Albany, New York

arkmaker †

There has only been two times I have ever seen vapor escape from my Co2 guns down here in hot and humid Florida. That is when the barrel is oily or I unscrew the cap to let the last remaining Co2 escape. Other than that I have never experienced it. Clean the barrel by running a dry patch down it or shoot some more pellets and that will clear up the barrel issue if it is that. I would look for a leak. May be the valve stem is not seating properly or as stated above the valve seal face (where cartridge seals) is shot and needs to be replaced (but I doubt that on a new gun)? I would bet on the valve stem. Could be debris as I had a brass chip in a brand spanking new 2240 once that made it a big leaker. This sounds like a much slower leak if that is what it is at all. The joys of investigative leak work!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

arkmaker †

Quote from: KevinP on July 29, 2013, 01:03:19 AM
There is always some vapor

I have found if you hold the gun up between shots you will get less, down you will get more...
( or is it the other way around )  :D
especially when I 88gram ed my 2240, it would ( smoke ) so to speak ,,,
I think the liquid co2 was blasting out, but as always I could be wrong ....

Heck, maybe it's there and I just am not seeing it  ??? ???
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

KevinP

Quote from: arkmaker on July 29, 2013, 01:54:31 AM

Heck, maybe it's there and I just am not seeing it  ??? ???

well perhaps, but sometimes is smokin ,,,
Kevin
Albany, New York