Any magical mod to increase power AND get more shots per powerlet?

Started by wahoowad, August 04, 2013, 07:29:14 PM

wahoowad

My 2300kt has been a lot of fun lately. I appreciate all the advice to help me get where I am at.  :-*

I'd like to get another 25 fps (or more) out of it without losing any shots per powerlet, or maybe even extending the shot count. I'm seeing a difference in knockdown power on rats depending on when I am at the top of my power curve (~480 fps) and when I am down in the 20 - 30 shot range (~ 450 - 425 fps).

I considered a bulk CO2 tank but am finding I like powerlets just fine - easy, predictable, I know when to replace one. So anything less than 30 shots per powerlet is going to disappoint me

quickster47 †

Those two items are mutually exclusive.  You cannot really get more power and at the same time increase your shot count per powerlet.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

Quote from: quickster47 on August 04, 2013, 07:30:46 PM
Those two items are mutually exclusive.  You cannot really get more power and at the same time increase your shot count per powerlet.

Carl

x2. Pick one or the other. Bulk feeding the gun is the only way to get both.
Larry

bgmcgee

I know this might sound crazy but in both the 2300kt and the bnm2240 when I swapped in the pro-top and disco valve both shot count and power went up. Only a matter of maybe 5 more usable shots but still an increase.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

wahoowad

OK, what is a simple mod to increase power yet retain the same shot count?

breakfastchef

Quote from: wahoowad on August 04, 2013, 10:44:51 PM

Short answer may be a longer barrel.

To increase fps using a cartridge (ambient temperature aside), you have to keep the valve open a little longer to allow more CO2 to flow to the back of the pellet. That can be accomplished with a lighter valve spring or heavier hammer spring. Keeping the valve open longer waste some amount of gas thereby driving your shot count down. Increasing the valve volume can help store more CO2 that will be delivered to the pellet. Again, more gas used; less shots.
Larry

arkmaker †

13xx hammer spring, longer 18" barrel and a valve reducer? That should make more efficient use of the gas.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

airriflenut

This is an interesting topic.   My (the wifes) 2400KT is on order and I have many things to learn about the co2 realm.  I'm going to keep updated on this topic, I'll need all the info I can get.

Thank you guys and happy shootin'!!
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

arkmaker †

Quote from: arkmaker on August 04, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
13xx hammer spring, longer 18" barrel and a valve reducer? That should make more efficient use of the gas.

Actually, the 2300 comes with a valve reducer, doesn't it?
Rich

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Quote from: arkmaker on August 05, 2013, 11:50:39 AM
Actually, the 2300 comes with a valve reducer, doesn't it?
Rich

One of them does, the 2300S me thinks and not the 2300T.  Could be wrong.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

arkmaker †

BDS

Quote from: wahoowad on August 04, 2013, 10:44:51 PM

Did you miss the first answer from Carl or what?  ???

Anti-Physics 101, I want more power from my engine but I also want better gas mileage  :-X

Even if this anti-physics mod could be accomplished, let's say 500 fps at the first shot, you would still be below (your) unacceptable? 425 fps by shot 10 or 12.

An 18 inch barrel can get you another 20/30 fps and use the gas more efficently to achieve the higher fps, it is not going to increase shot count as it makes greater pellet speed from the same valve and co2 supply volume.
Brian

HappyHunter

QuoteQuote from: wahoowad on Yesterday at 04:44:51 PM
OK, what is a simple mod to increase power yet retain the SAME shot count?
Quote from: BDS on August 05, 2013, 06:41:53 PM
Did you miss the first answer from Carl or what?  ???

I don't believe that response was warranted?  ???

Carl's first answer was in response to increasing BOTH power AND shot count, which of course we all know is not going to happen.

Wahoowad's question about how to increase power yet retain the SAME shot count is a valid one IMO...for which the correct answer is yes, simply replace the stock barrel with a longer one...same amount of Co2 is being used, but the longer barrel will allow for more FPS... ;)

Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

cherokeesteve

If more power is what you're looking for (fpe) without dropping shot count you can also just try a heavier pellet. FPS can go down but impact power can go up.
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

AZAG

Does the 2240 respond well to angleing the exhaust port and similar mods to smooth the path out of the valve to the pellet?  Those are standard mods for pumpers, I'm not sure about co2.  However every time the gas goes around a sharp corner it loses energy so smoothing that path will allow the same amount of gas to hit the pellet with more energy.