Best Red Dot???

Started by quickster47 †, May 24, 2010, 04:43:41 AM

L.O. Little

Hey guys, thought I'd bring this back up.  I've been shooting my modded 2240 quite a bit the last few weeks with a $30 Leapers red dot. After seeing these two threads:

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=4203.msg41693#msg41693

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php?topic=3717.msg36362#msg36362

my interest in the Ultradot Matchdot is piqued again. Opinions, pics of Ultradots (Matchdot or any of the other Ultradots) on 13xx or 22xx guns would be appreciated. I'm especially interested to hear if these are parallax free.
Lynn

breakfastchef

Though I am pretty new to the air pistol thing, I have tried both red dot and scopes on my 1377 and 2300KT pistols. For accuracy, the scope wins; hands down. I paid less than $40 for an NCStar Pistolero Series scope and it works great. Alternately, I have an NCStar Red Dot that is also quite accurate. At this point of my air pistol experimentation, I have not found a reason to purchase any sighting device much above $40. These devides work very well and shots group nicely.

My 2300KT came with a Williams Notch sight. It is very accurate. That said, getting the front and rear sights to consistently align properly is not easy. While I blame it on failing eyesight, I think it also has to do with practice. Repeatability is necessary for accuracy. For those wishing to have instant accuracy gratification, red dots and pistol scopes are excellent.
Larry

Capt. Thomas

Well I guess I have to throw my two cents in so....... Seems to be many schools of thought at play, but IMHO a lot of it boils down to what are you going to do most. First off, plinking and target shooting at air gun pistol ranges really doesn't require a wide field of view or huge (physical size) sights (in most cases). As you can see in my pics below, an EO Tech is huge on a 1377 even without the magnifier. EO Tech's and the like have large sizes to give wide fields of view and or quick acquisition  on moving targets.... at any distance. They work best on CQB weapons. Trust me, being a SPECWAR team leader gives me access to damn near anything I want and I try them all   8) Then I find a quaility copy of the real thing for a reasonable price or a reasonable civillian version.

Second, and I'm sure most will agee, dropping big bucks for powder burner grade sights and scopes is not necessary unless you just have money to burn. Air gins don't get subjected to the recoil that burners do and shouldn't (stress shouldn't?) be subjected to the same rough treatment that combat weapons go through. In the pics below, the Aimpoint is a very very good e-bay knock off of the real thing. In fact I think they are actually made in the same plant but just dont have the night vision capibility of the real T1. I have 3 REAL T1's for my Op's weapons and 2 of these copies for my air guns. They are great little sights that don't cost $600 ea. More like $70 on the bay. Very Low profile, bright optics, very compact, 1X, 4 M.O.A. dot and 11 brightness settings. These are my favorite for hand guns!

My second choice is the Hammers 1X46T, $58 on E-bay (I have 3 of them). This is personally about as large as I would want to go on a hand gun with it's 46mm lens. Its very bright, has the T Dot retical I'm fond of, 8 brightness setting in red AND green, comes with the flip up lense caps. This is also a great sight for rifles due to the large optic / field of view and for moving target's.

These are my opinions only and just a couple of medium price options that I have in my inventory and have used / abused them a lot. They pass the test for not too much money  :-*

Capt. Thomas

1377 w/ Aimpoint T1 mounted - Hammers 1x46T shown to compare

Aimpoint Micro T1 on #3 setting

Hammers 1x46T - Pic is a bit fuzzy but this thing is sharp in real life!

1377 shown w/ EO Tec and 3x magnifier for size - Too big IMHO!

EO Tec and one of my Daisy 2003's - The 2003 is a big funky gun size wise

My prayer to God is a very short one: 'Oh, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' God has granted it. - Voltaire
Capt. James Thomas

1377x

with the eo tech you have more scope than gun ;D ;D ;D ;D
closed mouths dont get fed

Nate

actualy that back part is just a magnifier that is optional. but if you like the look of the eotech there are lots of replicas that are great sights on ebay, maybe not combat worthy, but definatly more than adequate for airguns, remember most of these scope replicas like the aimpoint,eotech and acog replicas are designed to take some abuse, because they are designed for airsofters

hotshot

1377c    -   "Pumpmaster" Carbine
1322      -    Custom carbine
2250B    -   "Ratcatcher"
EB20      -    Carbine
Sheridan

hotshot

1377c    -   "Pumpmaster" Carbine
1322      -    Custom carbine
2250B    -   "Ratcatcher"
EB20      -    Carbine
Sheridan

Make MY day

Got a serious question.  I just put a BSA RedDot 30 mm with the dovetail mount on my 1377 Crosman with the new breech.  My problem is with sighting it in.  At 8 yards, I'm right in the bull, But when I go to 30 yards, I'm hitting so low that the worms go deeper and the tree rats get out their lounge chairs, a few drinks and watch the comedy side show.  Put 30 counter-clockwise clicks and still scaring the worms.  Manual says it is factory sighted at 50 yards and clicks of 45-45 W/E with each click being 1/2 inch.
With age comes skills.
It's called 'Multi Tasking'.
I can
Laugh, Cough, Sneeze, Fart and Pee all at the same time.

1377x

i dont know about the click and technicals
i sight in at 10 yards when i aim for the center of the bull i hit about a 1/2" low.have been right on at 25-30yds

Make MY day

Got the problem corrected.  Seems that I forgot to install the set screw on top of the new breech, along with the roll pin on the pump coming out allowing the barrel to shift around.  Re-sighted at 10 yards and hitting a business card tacked to a tree 62 foot away.  Have to check for possible leakage as I can now pump it 12 times with no trouble.
With age comes skills.
I can

1377x

quickster47 †

Quote from: Make MY day on August 20, 2011, 10:40:20 PM
Got the problem corrected.  Seems that I forgot to install the set screw on top of the new breech, along with the roll pin on the pump coming out allowing the barrel to shift around.  Re-sighted at 10 yards and hitting a business card tacked to a tree 62 foot away.  Have to check for possible leakage as I can now pump it 12 times with no trouble.

Good job.  :-*

Missing those little screws will get you every time.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Make MY day

We all either get screwed once in a while or we have a few loose screws. ;D 
With age comes skills.
I can

For Bullseye style shooting the Ultradot is the best.  The Matchdot is good, but not necessary.

Try the Ultradot 1", with a lifetime warranty:
http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_004.htm

(Note-  This post was modified on 3-3-12.  I changed my recommendation from the 30mm Ultradot to the 1" Ultradot.  I find the 1" is well suited to Bullseye shooting and really like the hood.)