X-Probe Bolts and Plastic Breech

Started by AS13, September 19, 2013, 04:20:24 PM

AS13

The extended probe bolts are usually shorter (OAL) than standard bolts to allow for the length of the probe. I tried to install one in my 2240 with plastic breech. Getting it back together, the bolt wouldn't push the hammer back far enough to set the sear ??? Didn't have the problem on my 2400 with the steel breech. To fix, I soldered a small nut to the back of the bolt. A little trimming on the nut and it works now. Did anyone else have this problem with the plastic breech?
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

rangerfredbob

I don't have anything fancy on any of mine, but I would have just carved out the plastic in the breech so the bolt could go further back
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

chongman

Where did you get your extended probe bolt? Who made it?

I'd chuck it in my lathe and slice a little off the back end.  Be happy to do it for ya.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

chongman

Opps, sorry, missed that it was to short  :-X
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

1377x

if you have a long enough 8-32 bolt run it through the questionable bolt and a good bolt like this and see what the difference is
see last pic

not i and i even made a plastic bolt left hand with a dremel
the only time i have seen trouble with cocking the guns is when the wrong cocking pin is used or a power adjust is over adjusted
oh wait one more! when using a long pellet i had to cut the back of the bolt so there would be enough room to load the pellet

closed mouths dont get fed

AS13

I received the X-bolts from a member here. I don't know who made them. I believe the problem is in the slot length in the breech. I going to run a few pellets through the 2400 today. I'll measure the lengths on both.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

1377x

was it  doing this when you had the stock bolt?
if not then its not the length of the slot and very well could be the x-bolt

AS13

No problem with the factory bolts. Measured the slots...Steel breech 1-1/8" long. Plastic breech 1-1/16" long. The steel breech had a radius at the back of the slot, the plastic one was flat. I suppose I could have just made the slot longer on the plastic breech. The nut solved the problem.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

1377x

the good thing is its sorted
the bolt was the right choice or you could have used a small magnet

onebaddj

very interesting. the bolt was shorter from the bolt handle to the rear of the actual bolt. that would drive me nuts trying to figure out why it no worky after reassembly.

now i also know where the bolt hold open magnet gos! i never could figure that one out either. all the bolts looked the same.

glad you got your gun running again.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.