Occasional weak puncture on cartridge - Pellgunoil EVERY time?

Started by wahoowad, September 20, 2013, 02:57:22 PM

wahoowad

I was busting some rats in a target rich environment last night and suspect a weak puncture  :( . Accuracy seemed a little off, but those I did hit seemed to live longer than usual. I shoot a lot of them so generally know how long they take to expire with my usual headshot. I suspect my energy was down and not hammering their heads as hard as usual.

Sometimes I get a weak puncture on my powerlet in my 2300KT. Not always easy to tell...takes a handful of shots and then I start wondering. My puncture procedure:

- every 2 or 3 powerlets I put a small drop of pellgunoil on tip;
- finger-tighten cap as tight as I can with my fingers;

Should I use a drop of pellgunoil EVERY powerlet?
If I suspect a weak puncture should I use something like a coin to tighten it a little more?

1377x

i would try tightening the cap a little more with a coin first. i think to much oil will eventually gum up the valve.
when i had a 2240 the coin did the trick for me
closed mouths dont get fed

wahoowad

why do some pierce good (nice big hole) and some don't? I'm tightening it the same each time.  ???

rangerfredbob

You can over tighten the cap pretty easy, according to Tim at mac-1 it's best to tighten it like a girl :). If it's over tightened then the seal compresses and sometimes drags on the piercing pin, I've also heard of some instances of the sear hanging up on the hammer...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

bgmcgee

I agree with rangerfredbob.  Try backing the trigger overtravel screw all the way out and shoot a couple of carts.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

T191032

"Should I use a drop of pellgunoil EVERY powerlet?"

I usually do, but I also believe some do it every other Powerlet.

I know recently while doing some target practice, I shot with the ear muffs off, while talking to someone on the phone - a total distraction session to see some of what I was doing wrong - and was quite interested in the various "pops" of the CO2 blasts.  Certainly wasn't going low after 40 shots, though a few sounded underpowered.  Heck, it was spewing out when I took it out of the gun after shooting the full 60-shot course of fire.

"You can over tighten the cap pretty easy, according to Tim at mac-1 it's best to tighten it like a girl "

I know some girls (ok, "young women" - they get mad when referred to as "girls") stronger than me, so what the heck does that mean.   :D
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

rangerfredbob

I know, I mean just past touching the seal by 1/4 turn or so... whatever the minimum amount is to seal
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

karatekid1975

Hey hey. Watch the "girl" talk  :D  ;D Anywho, I have a 2240 and I use the pellgunoil every 250 shots or so. It says to do that right on the pellgunoil tube. But if my gun sits for a while, I will apply it before shooting. As far as tightening the cap, I finger tighten it until its "snug" but not so tight that I can't remove it. My 2240 shoots like a champ every time. But every gun is different. You could have two of the same gun, and both will act differently (I know that from working at Crosman).

I would try a trigger job to see if that helps any (smooth out the sear and trigger and find/fix the sear spring), and puff the hammer. My 2240 was acting funny like yours before I did the trigger/hammer job on it. I know that doesn't sound like anything to do with the cart, but it helped a lot.
Laurie

Crosman 2240 pistol
Crosman Quest 1000x rifle
Crosman stock 760 (1972) pump master
RWS 34 Diana rifle
Former Crosman employee ;)

Tater

Quote from: punchpressqueen75 on September 21, 2013, 10:45:39 AM
Hey hey. Watch the "girl" talk  :D  ;D

I was wondering when you'd chime in.   ;)

Seriously though, good post Laurie.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

wahoowad

Regarding my trigger...  I lightened the trigger over the stock setting by using the spring adjuster to turn it all the way down. It felt much better afterwards.

Some have advised to cock the pistol before putting the new CO2 cartridge in...? What physically is different when you do this?

What else can I do to improve my stock trigger without investing in aftermarket parts? Like I said above, I have pretty much lightened the spring all the way down. I also smoothed the contact surfaces of the sear/trigger, used a dremel polishing wheel to polish these surfaces, then applied a touch of moly grease to the surfaces and the pivot points.

bgmcgee

Not much more you can do to that trigger than what you have already done. Another thing you could check is the screw that holds the valve it could possibly be loose but I don't know if that would cause your problem. Also you might pull the hammer and check the tube for burrs that might cause the hammer to drag.  Make sure the hammer falls freely with just gravity.

wahoowad

I just watched a youtube video about the 2240 series and it suggested there was a small seal that sits inside the valve where the end of the CO2 cartridge is pierced...? Is this correct? I don't see one when I look down there.

bgmcgee

Yep its kind of an orange color. If it wasn't there you would know for sure as soon as the cart was punched it would leak out.

DaveB50

The overtravel screw may be set to close to trigger letoff, letting the hammer drag on the sear.
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

karatekid1975

Laurie

Crosman 2240 pistol
Crosman Quest 1000x rifle
Crosman stock 760 (1972) pump master
RWS 34 Diana rifle