CO2 and Cold Weather

Started by airriflenut, September 28, 2013, 07:03:05 PM

airriflenut

New to the CO2 world but already know that it doesn't like cold weather, i.e. cartridges or bulk feed/fill tanks being cold.  I know there's a power loss but am not sure how significant.

The build I am working on ( several at the same time  :D ) is going to be bulk feed with a drop forward with on/off ASA and a 9-12 ounce tank.  I was wondering if anyone out there using a gun mounted tank has ever tried putting one of those battery operated foot warming socks on their tank to keep the CO2 warm for better cold weather performance?

Or...maybe one of those "no battery open and shake" hand warmers slipped into a tank cover?  Not sure if either would be feasible, worth the effort or it shouldn't be done.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

1377x

i was told hand warmers work but someone tested the electric sock and hand warmers on gta iirc. they really didnt help from what i remember but that was so long i go i could be wrong
i live in minnesnowta so i just switched to hpa. the worst i saw with that is in sub freezing weather a 3000psi fill will drop to 2800psi. whether it is 90* out or 09*
the velocity stays the same unless you use lube on your hammers. the cold weather thickens the lube causing the hammer to drag lowering velocity
this is a case where lube harms instead of helps
closed mouths dont get fed

airriflenut

Thanks for the info Ed.  Just something I was thinking about since i am building a hunting specific CO2 rifle.  Winters in Oklahoma can be mild to "I ain't goin' out in this!!!"

I'm going to start a pumper rifle project soon and use the knowledge I gained from my 1377 "Scorpion" valve mods to "kick it up a notch or two".  I'll use that as my "it's freakin' cold" squirrel thumper.
Sterling

1377x

i have been thinking of building a pcp pistol lately. get a 2250 tube from dc and let the journey begin.
personally i cant stand co2 i like to be able to leave my guns by the garage door, so i dont have to lug them back and forth as i warm up. its gets sub zero a lot of the time hear winters can be harsh. the one winter it was mild,40'-50s daily, i was in the hospital the whole winter and wasnt allowed to go outside that sucked. with hpa velocity stays consistent the worst that happens is 3k goes to 2.8k in sub freezing temps. a couple shot loss i can live with. it costs me $7 to fill a 3k 80cf scuba tank i think i can fill my disco 20x @3kpsi then after that its a 2.8k fill a few times the 2.4k a few times then its top off time and another $7

airriflenut

About the only thing I know about PCP is that I would love to own an FX Gladiator MkII!!

I don't know squat about converting/building a Crosman to PCP.  Although I'm sure I could get plenty of help and information from the great guys here at CAPOF.  I know there is more power and no real cold weather issues with it.  But, aren't the tanks for PCP a bit pricey?

Honestly, we can't really afford for me to build the bulk feed CO2 rig with a 10# fill tank.  I would also like to build the pumper rifle but with the nerve damage I have down both arms pumping to shoot becomes painful, I'll still build it tho, won't cost too much.  As far as PCP/CO2 I think CO2 would be best for me, if it's too cold for CO2 I don't need to be out in it anyway with my lung problems.
Sterling

1377x

the cost of the tanks very
i have jars that i put any extra change or funds in strictly for what i want. i will not touch those funds unless there is an emergency. cant let the better half see them though or all kinds of "emergencies" come up.
i got my first 80cf 3k tank for $60 it came with the fill stations. found it on craigslist. then i got a 3 year old tank for $100 sold both of them now i have an aluminum tank 80cf i got it for $120 delivered.
the fill station you can get on ebay for $15-$20 tyd and for the hose you can find a quality grease gun hose(5000psi-6000psi rated),thats what i use for @$10 or get a high pressure hose from somewhere like pirtech it will run up to $50 depending on length,the shorter the better. all these parts can be found on ebay or amazon
as long as the tank has a current hydro any paintball, scuba store will fill it $4-$15 depending on the store. my store charges $7 plus some change.
initial costs look scary but in the long run i believe it will save money and have better performance
i posted this link in arkmakers thread i'll post it here also. its a good read and get you ready if you ever take the leap
its tko's 2xxx pcp conversion bible
http://tko22.com/PCP_Conversion.html
if you want to regulate these guns it can be done with a paintball tank. this is one i sold but it cost me a pretty penny because i dont have the tools to machine the tube. it would get over well 100 shots per fill. wait til you see the next bottle gun ;)