Barrel swap fail - I stripped that little hex screw :(

Started by wahoowad, October 12, 2013, 07:35:26 PM

wahoowad

My first disassembly of my 2300kt was going quick and easy, goal was to swap in a 14" barrel. After spending 2 hours shopping for the right .050 hex wrench I finally found one, only to strip out that last screw under the bolt!!! Awwww crap!!!!

It is almost covered  by the tip of the bolt so not sure I can get a screw extractor on it without mangling the bolt head. Any advice on how to proceed?????

Crosshairs

I would try to drill the head from the screw or use an easy out you might not be able to save the bolt.
                              Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

wahoowad

I was able to extract the screw but it was ruined in the process. The very tip of my bolt was marred a bit but looks like I can clean it up and continue to use it. So I need to order another screw but hope there is a better alternative with a more substantial hex head????  >:(

Anything else I should consider if I place an order from Crosman? Maybe a probe o-ring or two, maybe a transfer port seal? Everything else looked good.

What about this set screw on the right? I thought it was meant to help secure the barrel but it does not make contact! It was set in place with blue loctite like it had a job to do. Should I tighten it down on the new barrel when I put it all back together?

And while I'm asking all my questions  ;) I noticed the barrel band detent in the new 14" barrel is several inches off compared to the current 10" barrel. Is it important that I indent the barrel where my barrel band will go? Or just snug it up onto the barrel without the detent?

Crosshairs

I would go a little better then snug but not super tight.
                          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

WyoMan

What Mike said ^^^  :-*
Also, there are replacement 4-48 breech screws in stainless steel that are slotted...someone found them on Ebay
I would also order the infamous safety ball and spring
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

DBOdude

Everything isn't for Everybody ......

brz-ryder †

One big thing to remember for the little breech screw is first in last out

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

rangerfredbob

I've said it before but I've had really good luck using a T5 torx instead of an Allen wrench, I have 4 guns with that screw and taken all apart at least once without an issue
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

mudduck48

Shoot fire, look what I gots. A whole bunch of SS sloted 4-48 screws that can be used for breech screws. All you have to do is sand down the edge of the screw a bit and take off a small portion of the top and you will have a breech screw. PM me.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

mudduck48

Quote from: WyoMan on October 12, 2013, 10:58:47 PM
What Mike said ^^^  :-*
Also, there are replacement 4-48 breech screws in stainless steel that are slotted...someone found them on Ebay
I would also order the infamous safety ball and spring
Safety ball???? ???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-3-32-inch-Diameter-Chrome-Steel-G25-Deep-Groove-Radial-Ball-Bearings-/130572871258?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

DBOdude

the spring inside a scripto lighter can be replace the safety spring FWIU . i do use the rubber o-ring inside the scripto lighter on top of the stock transfer port on my DBO .
Everything isn't for Everybody ......

WyoMan

Quote from: mudduck48 on October 13, 2013, 04:57:53 AM
Safety ball???? ???
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-3-32-inch-Diameter-Chrome-Steel-G25-Deep-Groove-Radial-Ball-Bearings-/130572871258?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true
I ordered 100 from Mcmaster in stainless...then I stopped losing them because I had extras so I've been giving them away  ;D

Quote from: DBOdude on October 13, 2013, 05:09:18 AM
the spring inside a scripto lighter can be replace the safety spring FWIU . i do use the rubber o-ring inside the scripto lighter on top of the stock transfer port on my DBO .
Pretty clever dbo  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Fronzdan

I don't know if anyone answered your question about the barrel set screw or not. But it should be tight and definitely should be touching the barrel. How did you know it wasn't?  Could you slide out the barrel from the breech without loosening it??  Man, that's a bad quality control issue. That one needs to be tight.

brz-ryder †

Quote from: WyoMan on October 13, 2013, 07:10:24 AM
I ordered 100 from Mcmaster in stainless...then I stopped losing them because I had extras so I've been giving them away  ;D
Pretty clever dbo  :-*
i have been doing the same only i have the ss ones plus some in brass when i send someone a extra part i had i send a few safety balls  :-*

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

bgmcgee

That breech set screw should have been tight like Fronzdon said. The barrel band set screw doesn't need the dimple in the barrel just put it where you like it and snug it up.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"