?s RE: Painting Plastic

Started by Flex, May 13, 2014, 04:01:38 PM

BigErn

Quote from: BDS on May 14, 2014, 10:48:38 PM
Good call on the aluminum BigErn, it needs thorough cleaning and quick (really quick) primer coating before it oxidizes. 

The correct way to paint aluminum is to anodize or chem-film it prior to painting. Those processes seal the aluminum and prep it for paint. Bare aluminum is oxidizing as soon as it hits the atmosphere.

Good explanation B, I've heard of people using vinegar on aluminum before painting but have never tried it.

BigTinBoat

Quote from: BDS on May 14, 2014, 10:48:38 PM
Good call on the aluminum BigErn, it needs thorough cleaning and quick (really quick) primer coating before it oxidizes. 

The correct way to paint aluminum is to anodize or chem-film it prior to painting. Those processes seal the aluminum and prep it for paint. Bare aluminum is oxidizing as soon as it hits the atmosphere.

I use Self-Etching Primer(available at Wally World) when I paint the alum stuff on my boat. After a year no oxidation or paint coming off at all.

Davio

This thread has gone straight to aluminum!  ;)

Sherwin Williams has a direct to metal DTM paint that is available in many many colors and it is very durable.  Think what to paint the doors and trim around glass on a store front.  Yeah, that stuff!   :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

arkmaker †

Quote from: BigTinBoat on May 14, 2014, 10:02:29 PM
Thanks so much for posting this. (Sorry it happened though) I put my base of Green Rust Oleum Camo on and was going to use Tan Camo and then Black Fusion on top. Guess I'll go get a black in the Rust-Camo.

That's exactly what I used, so don't do it!!! I should have ran up to the hardware store and bought the right stuff, but the last few times I've been up there, they were out of everything. Live and learn the hard way sometimes. At least I can salvage the metal parts and insides  :-*  The plastic is going in the trash  :)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Old Dog

Quote from: BigTinBoat on May 15, 2014, 12:22:42 AM
I use Self-Etching Primer(available at Wally World) when I paint the alum stuff on my boat. After a year no oxidation or paint coming off at all.

I had good luck with zinc chromate for primer on several aluminum projects...
This Old Dog has outlived most of my enemies!!!
Many of my friends also, sorry to say!!!

BigErn

Quote from: Old Dog on May 15, 2014, 02:04:28 AM
I had good luck with zinc chromate for primer on several aluminum projects...

Zinc is good  :-*  Self etching primer will work on aluminum too. Great info here on painting plastic and aluminum  8)

Flex

So much for thinking that painting a few pieces of plastic was going to be quick and easy :o. I'm thinking, at this point, that I'm just going to buy a can of BLACK plastic compatible paint (either Krylon "Fusion" or Rustoleum "Paint for Plastic") and only paint the brown 760 (old school style) forearm. As I alluded to in the OP, "you can never go wrong with Basic Black". That section of a Crosman air gun is handled continuously when the gun is being used. I want the paint to really bond to the original surface and I definitely don't want to have any of the components end up in the dumpster. Lots of great info was presented and discussed. Thanks to all that responded (even the aluminum paintin' thread hijackers  ;)). I guess the grip frame would fall into that category and could certainly be part of a air gun makeover. I'm not going to open THAT can of worms. That's it for now. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

Baltim0re28

Flex,
Just a thought also.. If you are going to go with black on plastics, you can always just use truck bedliner in a spray can. Not only does that stuff seem to bond to almost anything, it gives it a little bit of a "grippy" feeling. I've used it on multiple plastic items and it works very well. Multiple other people have used it with great success also. BigErn can attest to this, he has done quite a few items.
James.

Davio

Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

Baltim0re28

Those tactical grip gloves are pretty nice... I may need a set.
James.

BDS

Brian

JMJinNC

Back to plastic painting - I used satin black rustoleum on my green forearm grip. I made sure to clean it really really well with windex, then alcohol prior to painting. The satin rustoleum is a really close match to the 1399 rear stock color

No issues in the past 3 years.

JMJ
John

agninja

Here's the problem with painting any gun, whether it's plastic, metal, or wood. Scuffs and chips will happen with use. Let's face it, we all ding our guns on stuff every once in a while. Then you have the black undercoating showing through whatever color of paint you used, and it looks bad. It's not easy to spot fill tarnished areas that have been spray painted unless you redo everything. I use primer, paint, and clear coat, and it will still peal off or chip and scratch. That's why I like camo patterns, because the blemishes don't show up very well against a camo pattern.
Black air pistols matter.

Flex

Quote from: JMJinNC on May 15, 2014, 05:12:41 PM
Back to plastic painting - I used satin black rustoleum on my green forearm grip. I made sure to clean it really really well with windex, then alcohol prior to painting. The satin rustoleum is a really close match to the 1399 rear stock color

No issues in the past 3 years.

JMJ
While what you did is pretty much what I intend to do with my brown 760 forearm grip, I imagine that there are more than a few folks out there that cringed in horror to read that you painted your green forearm grip from an old school BackPacker  :o ! I'm guessing that you could have auctioned it on Ebay for way more that the $10.87 that a new black one goes for from Crosman. That's water over the dam at this point. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

JMJinNC

When I built mine, the only forearm grip you could get from Crosman was the green one. Mine started life as a 1377 refurb, not a backpacker.

JMJ
John