Crosman Steel Breech on Phase I 1377 American Classic

Started by dcclausse, May 08, 2015, 06:59:11 PM

dcclausse

I've been doing a ton of searching and I think this is possible, but just to be sure, I thought I'd post here.  I'm looking at buying the 1377SBPK kit for my phase I.  I will also purchase a new barrel (part # 1377-075), Transfer Port (1322A026), TP Seal (130-036).  Do I have everything covered?  On the newer guns, there is a part (1377-077) that looks to be a bolt carrier or rest or spacer of some type.  Will I need that?

Thanks everyone for this great resource!
D.

mudduck48

IMO, leave the phase I alone and buy a new phase III to mod.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_1377C_PC77/198
Here is a 10% off code from PA.
AG-2015-1B
This is good until May 31-2015
One of the main reasons is that the phase I grip frame is different from the Phase II and phase III grip frames. The newer grips will not fit, the sear is different, the trigger is different and none of the newer mods will fit in a phase I grip frame. And another thing, when you get done throwing all that money at the phase I, you will still have a rear cocker with a 6+ lb trigger pull. Buy a new one and then mod away. ;) ;)
Here is a pic of my 1322. $300 later.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

GreyCoyote

I agree with mudduck.  I have a Phase I as part of my collection, not as an everyday shooter.  That role is played by a 1377c that has been modified to the point that I was able to build a new 1377 from the parts I had swapped out, with only a couple of small purchases of new p[arts needing to be made to let me do so.  There is simply no way to make these kinds of modifications to a Phase 1, which means you lose the fun of making all of the mods (but save the money from being able to do so).

The part that you are asking about, 1377-077, is the base of the plastic breech.  Once you take the breech off, you can separate the two pieces by pulling down on the lever on the bolt.  The base should simply snap off and the one piece bolt/handle unit will come out.  This is a very different design from the steel breech, which is a single unit.  The bolt is inserted from the rear and the handle is screwed onto it.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed sheepdog contesting the vote.

USMA-1982

Hey mudduck - what rear sight is that on your 1322?  Is that a Wiliams receiver sight?
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

mudduck48

In answer to the question, it is a Williams sight. It is a WGRS. The first link is to Midway because it shows a good picture of the sight and the name of it. The second link is where I bought my sight a Brownells. I change out the peep and put a blade on it. That is the link #3. This shows you some of the blades you can change to. ;)
http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,8629.msg198559.html#msg198559

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/wgrs-receiver-sights-prod16154.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-parts/rear-sight-blades/wgos-wdos-blades-prod26041.aspx

USMA-1982

Thanks mudduck - I had heard the WGRS-54 fits the Crosman breech, but that's the first pic I've seen with it mounted.  The size and proportions of the sight go well with the 1322.  I like the peep sight that comes with the WGRS for a rifle, but being able to get blades make it work better on a pistol and the different blade heights give you more choice and flexibility with the front sight.  Might have to order one of those.  (Sorry OP for hijacking thread.)
Ed

Fredericksburg VA

BillK

With the WGRS, in rifle form, you can also move it to the front of the breech which makes the sight blades seem smaller for a better (IMO) sight picture.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

mudduck48

Quote from: USMA-1982 on May 08, 2015, 11:47:03 PM
Thanks mudduck - I had heard the WGRS-54 fits the Crosman breech, but that's the first pic I've seen with it mounted.  The size and proportions of the sight go well with the 1322.  I like the peep sight that comes with the WGRS for a rifle, but being able to get blades make it work better on a pistol and the different blade heights give you more choice and flexibility with the front sight.  Might have to order one of those.  (Sorry OP for hijacking thread.)
I wouldn't worry about hijacking this thread, any info. that we give is more info. that DC can use. :)

dcclausse

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I have certainly got some things to mull over.  At this point, I'm going to try and just get this old phase I back together with new seals and put a few rounds through it.  I really don't mine the rear cocker part, but each to their own.  What I don't like is the sliding breech cover.  I'd rather have the traditional bolt like the new ones.  You hit the nail on the head regarding the trigger pull.  Pretty stiff.  Thanks again all for the comments/suggestions.

D

mudduck48

While you have the gun apart, take the valve out and take it apart. On the old phase I guns the exhaust valve stem had this gunk in it to make the seal. On mine I had to dig out the gunk and replace it with an o-ring. Now it seals. You'll see what I mean when you get the valve apart. Here is a pic of the valve exhaust stem. :)

ped

I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

dcclausse

Yep. Mine had that gunk in there too.  Dug it out with a small pick and I put an 'o' ring that I came up with at the local hardware store.  Wasn't sure that it would be a good fix, so when I ordered parts from Crosman, I ordered a replacement.  At least I'll have something if mine fails.

D

Trophyhunter49

:) I agree with mudduck , just rebuild the Phase I and get you a phase III to mod.! You'll be way better off doing it that way !!

beerhippy

Quote from: mudduck48 on May 08, 2015, 07:23:25 PM
IMO, leave the phase I alone and buy a new phase III to mod.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_1377C_PC77/198
Here is a 10% off code from PA.
AG-2015-1B
This is good until May 31-2015
One of the main reasons is that the phase I grip frame is different from the Phase II and phase III grip frames. The newer grips will not fit, the sear is different, the trigger is different and none of the newer mods will fit in a phase I grip frame. And another thing, when you get done throwing all that money at the phase I, you will still have a rear cocker with a 6+ lb trigger pull. Buy a new one and then mod away. ;) ;)

Here is a pic of my 1322. $300 later.

Where did you get that barrel band from?
Man, that was close!

crossliner