1377 cocking question

Started by Tater, June 15, 2015, 11:06:46 PM

agninja

Quote from: Tater on June 21, 2015, 10:14:38 PM
You may be on to something. I recently squeezed it a bit to lighten the pull. I'm using a .22 long shell as a spring guide and it doesn't leave much room to compress. I'll look into something else for a guide.
It was working fine for a couple of years, but maybe I altered something squeezing the spring while it was still in place.

LOL mudduck
Shorten that 22LR to about the size of a 22 short cartridge using a Dremel tool. I use the 22 shells too, but not really as a spring "guide" per se, mainly just to polish the end so it engages the sear instead of the spring itself. Therefore the actual length of the shell is inconsequential. Ideally you should be using a proper spring that doesn't bend under compression and therefore has no need for a guide.
Black air pistols matter.

Tater

Thanks mudduck and agninja, I'll give those both a try.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

oconeedan

Too heavy hammer spring will make it hard for the sear engage, especially if you have it polished and greased.
But more likely, too light of a trigger spring, it has to force the sear up hard enough to hold back the hammer.  Try stretching back out the trigger spring.
Dan
Diana 54
Daisy Red Ryder
Crosman 1322

agninja

It's a weird mechanism. Not only do you have to account for the sear spring being too light or too heavy, but it also has to be the correct length. I think the length issue is what causes more problems than anything else. That's why it's better to just replace the spring with a lighter one and keep the length the same. The problem with the over compressing mod is that it also shortens the spring length. Of course, Crosman uses a really bad spring to begin with, way too long and strong for what it needs to be.
Black air pistols matter.

Tater

Sorry to revive an old thread...
I was messing with the 1377 today as cocking it is still very intermittent. I had already tried checking the length of the rear breech screw (rear sight) and loosed the three allens of the trigger cover. Loosening the screws did some to help a little but most of the time cocking takes 3-5 tries.

Today I took off the right grip and tightened to grip cover screws very lightly and with the grip cover off it works every time perfectly.
After putting the grip back on same old issue came back. I repeated the test 4 times and every time the grip was the issue. It is the stock grip that came with the gun. How can the grip effect it when it just screws into the frame?  ???
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

bgmcgee

The grip panel must be puttung pressurenon the cover causing something to bind. I can't help you on a fix
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

mudduck48

Almost sounds like the grip frame cover is warped. Or the pegs on the cover are broke off. Boy, this is a good question. We need some pictures of this. Take it apart again.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Tater

I will take it apart. I doubt anything is broken in there but it's gotta be the grip frame cover I assume. If I can't get it fixed, I'll post pics in a little while.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

mudduck48

If you take the plastic grip cover off and it looks bent, I wonder if you could take it and put it between 2 pieces of wood. Put some weight in the middle and heat it up a bit with a heat gun to straighten it? Or get a hold of Davio to send you a new cover. ???

mudduck48

Tater

Here's a couple of pics. I had a .22 shell for a spring guide but it kept sliding down in the spring. It's worked fine before as is at for a while. The problem continues even after I tried a heavier spring.

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

targettgii

Jerry are you sure the grip panel is lineing up right with the indexing pins (raised portion) on the cover.That could be what is causing it to push in and bind up the sear.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

Tater

Quote from: targettgii on November 16, 2015, 01:03:00 AM
Jerry are you sure the grip panel is linig up right with the indexing pins (raised portion) on the cover.That could be what is causing it to push in and bind up the sear.

It seemed to be on there pretty evenly. In looking again, it looks like a pin might be missing from the hole just to the left of the sear. Is there supposed to be a pin there?
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

mudduck48

There is no pin in the hole to the left of the sear. That is where the indexing pins from the cover go. Remove the washers you have on the sear and the hammer and see if you still have a problem. Or, send the gun to me and I will see if I can fix it. No charge, just shipping and parts, if needed. :-\

Tater

Quote from: mudduck48 on November 16, 2015, 02:41:27 AM
There is no pin in the hole to the left of the sear. That is where the indexing pins from the cover go. Remove the washers you have on the sear and the hammer and see if you still have a problem. Or, send the gun to me and I will see if I can fix it. No charge, just shipping and parts, if needed. :-\

Thanks Mr. Duck. I'll try taking off the washers, but probably not until tomorrow. Gotta watch the Blackhawks game now.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs