1377 Custom molded grips

Started by Apachexmd, July 20, 2015, 12:56:01 AM

Apachexmd

Quote from: twigboy on July 21, 2015, 03:33:38 AM
You may be too modest.  Some sort of magic in how you split the grips left and right sides?

I didn't take any pictures of the process, but I wrapped the grip frame with some plastic food wrap (saran wrap). The stock grips were then just held in place. Then the putty was added and shaped; the putty kinda held everything together. Then I split the halves carefully with an X-acto knife trying not to distort the contours too much. The plastic helped keep the putty from sticking to the grip frame but in hindsight, talcum powder would have worked better (it's what the Magic Sculpt people recommend to use as a sort of "mold release").

Then it was just a matter of letting everything cure before final shaping and sanding.

airriflenut

Cool way to make custom grips!!  Oh, a bit of into on the truck bed liner sprays, I've tried two on different builds, neither lasted long at all.  I even tried that flex - seal plumbing spray advertised on TV...even worse than bed liner.  Just wanted to give you a heads-up.
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

ped

I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Mitch

I made my own grips that way a while back. I used black Apoxie Sculpt, did not have to paint. They also sell it in different colors such as bronze,white ,black, light gray, flesh, and pink