H&N wadcutters not getting getting marks from 14" barrel grooves

Started by wahoowad, December 23, 2015, 06:05:08 PM

wahoowad

I've been using .22 H&N Sport wadcutters in my 2300kt with 14" Crosman barrel for shooting rats, although haven't shot the pistol in about 2 years.

Today I punched a little paper in anticipation of a possible ratting trip tonight. My target backstop bounced a couple pellets out and I upon close examination noticed I didn't have barrel groove marks all around the pellet. I had a couple but they were not even.

The .22 H&N Sport supposedly has a 5.50 headdsize. I'm wondering if I should be using a larger headsize to get better grooves and  thus better accuracy? Is there a wadcutter that comes in 5.52 size?

Rualert

Yes, from a quick check of Pyramid's site H&N offers head sizes from 5.5 to 5.55 and 5.2 was one of the selections included. I shoot the .177's in my Alpha Proj, and in the Challenger, still need to get a sampler of the different head sizes, as I have noticed from a single tin of the "Sports" that many will shoot same hole, while a few others will move slightly in a given direction. This all from teaching kids in 4-H about precision shooting. I have previously never weighed or sorted pellets by head size. This is now changing for my high achievers, and when I really want to put 20 -30 rounds in a hole that may only be slightly larger than the pellet itself.

So the short answer is yes the head size will affect them along with the weight.

Casey

wahoowad

Rualert

Try this link to Pyramid, then check the head size you want on the left and see if the wad cutters are there. They may only offer the different head sizes in round nose, didn't go quite that far into it.

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Ammo/Airgun_pellets/384/calibers_0_22/brands_7

Just double checked for you, and yes they are only available in the round nose fo the different head sizes. For 177 they have them for the wad cutter as that's the size used in the majority of precision shooting events. (Think NRA, 4-H, Camp Perry, Olympics)

Casey