I'm at a loss and very frustrated (1377 issue)

Started by Tater, December 27, 2015, 12:54:00 AM

Flex

I'm thinkin' that Oldgearhead and 1377x (Ed) might be right RE: the possibility of a bent barrel! It may have been OK back when you got it but has it suffered any trauma since then? (dropped, banged up against something). Wouldn't cost anything but your time to disassemble/dismount the barrel and observe closely while rolling it along a flat surface. You may or may not be able to detect a bend. You could try to "empirically" correct the discrepancy by holding the (removed barrel) by the breech end and whacking it against a heavy but relatively soft object (pine board, block of lead etc) so as to bend the barrel in a direction that compensates for the POI discrepancy.  I've read that "back in the day" this is how the quality control inspectors (at I believe S & W) would correct POI issues with revolvers prior to being shipped. You might have to do it two or three times to get it right. Not a very precise method but you seem to be at your wit's end.
Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

RC1947

If you haven't done so, when you roll the barrel, look at the crown end and see if the bore has a slight wobble.  It wouldn't take but a slight wobble to create accuracy problems.  RC

mudduck48

Tater, just send me your gun and I will see if I can fix it for you. All it will cost is shipping and parts, if needed. That's it. Let me know. Glad to help. :-*
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Tater

I will remove the barrel when I get a chance and check the bore alignment and for a bend. Getting time is just an issue right now. Work/commute takes up 11 hours a day and with a back injury now I'm moving really slow on top of it. I post back when I take the barrel off, hopefully this weekend.
Thanks for the offer Mr. Duck, if it's not a barrel issue I may do that.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Tater

No update.  :(
Unexpected things came up yesterday and my wife is working today and all next weekend. It'll be a hile before I can even take the barrel off now.   >:(
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

You can make time to take the barrel off
This is going to sound weird but let's say while you are having a sit down session in the bathroom use that time or while watching television during a commercial you have more time. For every 7 minutes of programming there is 9 minutes of commercial.
If interested I have a stock 1377 barrel got it used but it looks ok I'll look at the rifling later today and see if I can see any defects. If it looks ok I can send it to you to try out. At least then you can rule that out.
Pm me if interested
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

Thanks again Ed. The problem is that I need my wife there to hold the gun while I knock out the roll pin. The barrel band went on extremely tight too and there's no way I could take it off without her help. She works full time during the week and this weekend she's working both days.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

TennX

When Im banging on my guns, towel and Stanley clamps...being a bachelor I got to make do...good luck

1377x

Quote from: Tater on January 26, 2016, 03:18:49 PM
Thanks again Ed. The problem is that I need my wife there to hold the gun while I knock out the roll pin. The barrel band went on extremely tight too and there's no way I could take it off without her help. She works full time during the week and this weekend she's working both days.
gotcha.
Sounds like a solid pin is in order. They can be made on a budget for a couple bucks at most. May not be pretty but functional and no more roll pin. Do you have a dremel or rotary tool? A drill with a thin cut off wheel works too. I took my roll pin to the hardware store and found a pin that closely matched. It was long enough to make 2. 1 side had a shoulder and holes in it for a cotter pin,think that's what it is called. I cut off part with a dremel cut off wheel. Using a drill to spin the pin and the dremel with cut off wheel grooves were cut for o-rings. Not pretty but functional.
I'm working on my 1377 with one good hand. Don't know what's going on but I can't move my hand at the wrist and now I am able to open my fingers they were stuck in a curled position went to the er but it was considered low priority after 4 hours of waiting and no chance of getting in sooner I left. Only to find out the tire on the truck went flat. It was a good day yesterday

Tater

Sorry about your day yesterday Ed. I am using a solid roll pin in it now. I haven't tried to remove it myself yet since the new barrel band was put on, but it was a BEAR to get it in. Just sliding the BB down the barrel was a lot of work and I had to bang it on with a hammer using a 2x4 as a buffer so the hammer didn't scratch the barrel. Once it's off, I plan to remove a little material from the inside of the BB with a dowel wrapped in sandpaper.

@TennX - I don't think a clamp would hold it well enough. See above.  ^
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

I see..
Do you open the arm before removing the pin? I remember when I first took my gun apart I tried removing the roll pin with the arm closed it wouldn't budge. Then I opened the arm 2 whacks on the punch the pin came right out.
If you want to try a stock 1377 barrel as part of the process of elimination I can send you one. It looks new un-used, I got it in a lot buy so I can't say how it shoots. If anything it will let you know the difference between it and what you have. If I had a breech I could test the barrel before sending it to you. I have an idea it will most likely work, sounds like you are not in rush so it may work out.

Tater

Quote from: 1377x on January 27, 2016, 09:15:41 PM
I see..
Do you open the arm before removing the pin? I remember when I first took my gun apart I tried removing the roll pin with the arm closed it wouldn't budge. Then I opened the arm 2 whacks on the punch the pin came right out.
If you want to try a stock 1377 barrel as part of the process of elimination I can send you one. It looks new un-used, I got it in a lot buy so I can't say how it shoots. If anything it will let you know the difference between it and what you have. If I had a breech I could test the barrel before sending it to you. I have an idea it will most likely work, sounds like you are not in rush so it may work out.

Ya know, I did have the arm open when putting the pin in but not when removing it. I'll have to remember to do that.
I appreciate that Ed. Once I get the barrel off, I'll roll it on a flat surface to see if there's a noticeable bend in it. If not, maybe I could send you the breech? I guess it could even be an issue with tube too correct?    ???
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

Quote from: Tater on January 27, 2016, 09:56:03 PM
Ya know, I did have the arm open when putting the pin in but not when removing it. I'll have to remember to do that.
I appreciate that Ed. Once I get the barrel off, I'll roll it on a flat surface to see if there's a noticeable bend in it. If not, maybe I could send you the breech? I guess it could even be an issue with tube too correct?    ???
I wouldn't put my money on the tube. Someone stepped on my tube it's bent but the gun still shoots straight
I'm working on getting a breech now. The problem is I have a hi-rise breech so the gun needs optics. I don't have the right rings.
All I would need is the plastic breech. I have the sights. I'll pm you my address

Tater

Quote from: 1377x on January 27, 2016, 10:14:35 PM
I wouldn't put my money on the tube. Someone stepped on my tube it's bent but the gun still shoots straight
I'm working on getting a breech now. The problem is I have a hi-rise breech so the gun needs optics. I don't have the right rings.
All I would need is the plastic breech. I have the sights. I'll pm you my address

Sounds good.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

Tater
I have a breech coming. Once I get it I'll test the barrel make sure it's good. Shined a light down the bore the rifling is concentric. On my bent barrel when I shine a light down the bore the rifling looks wavy crisscrossed at the bend. That barrel is now a punch of sorts works great for getting the valve out of my bent tubed 1377.
I know the 12" barrel is good but it's 400-500 miles away.
We will get you sorted out so you can enjoy your gun