1322 mods complete with questions.

Started by Flattitude, February 22, 2016, 07:18:34 PM

Trophyhunter49

Quote from: Tater on February 23, 2016, 03:47:43 AM
Not to hijack, but great to see you posting WyoMan. Your knowledge and experience is always helpful.
:-* :-* 

Noah

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on February 23, 2016, 02:24:19 AM
Yea thats one of Davio's!!

How much increase in FPS do you think this will add? I'm sure there is a thread about that, too  ??? :o
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

jSan22

Is that a spring guide on the hammer spring I see there? Whats it made of

1377x

Definitely read wyo's sticky in the pumper board. if you use a disco spring a power adjuster(rva) and softer valve spring won't be needed.
If you got the valve from Mellon he only opens up the exhaust port, softening the 90`degree angle helps airflow. It's easily done with a rotary tool with a ball cutting bit. Take care not to knick seat inside.
accustoms modded the check valve so a light valve spring wasn't needed and it made pumping easier. If I find the pic ill post it here
closed mouths dont get fed

WyoMan

Quote from: jSan22 on February 23, 2016, 05:31:22 AM
Is that a spring guide on the hammer spring I see there? Whats it made of

Yes, a spring guide. I can't find my notes for some reason but found an old post...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/message/1434418013/spring+stuff...
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Trophyhunter49

Quote from: Noah on February 23, 2016, 04:24:11 AM
How much increase in FPS do you think this will add? I'm sure there is a thread about that, too  ??? :o
Noah , I really don't know about the FPS ! I do know that it helps and the way Davio has made them you will not get any air leaks  with it! It's a steel  ( I think it's stainless ) tube and the rubber sleeve seals at both ends ! I have them in ALL my guns that don't have a breech riser. Had I said before they are well worth the money !

quickster47 †

Quote from: Noah on February 23, 2016, 04:24:11 AM

Noah, I ran 150 pellets through one of my basically box stock 2240s and recorded each shot.  I then changed out the transfer port with one that I just modded this morning, it was opened up to an ID of 0.157" - #22 drill bit - and the insides of the port polished.  I then ran another 150 pellets through the gun.  And the results are, the envelope please!

I could really tell no difference in FPS.  I think that transfer port mod works well when you have made some modifications to the valve but when it is stock, no big significant gains.  I think the valve and port are pretty well matched from the factory.  The other thing was I did not lose any FPS either and that was a good thing.

I may make a post with all the results but right now I'm holding off because of the disappointing results.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Noah

Quote from: quickster47 on February 23, 2016, 09:25:32 PM
Noah, I ran 150 pellets through one of my basically box stock 2240s and recorded each shot.  I then changed out the transfer port with one that I just modded this morning, it was opened up to an ID of 0.157" - #22 drill bit - and the insides of the port polished.  I then ran another 150 pellets through the gun.  And the results are, the envelope please!

I could really tell no difference in FPS.  I think that transfer port mod works well when you have made some modifications to the valve but when it is stock, no big significant gains.  I think the valve and port are pretty well matched from the factory.  The other thing was I did not lose any FPS either and that was a good thing.

I may make a post with all the results but right now I'm holding off because of the disappointing results.

Carl

Thanks, Carl, for the research and report. I/we really thank you for your time and efforts.  :-*

Like you, I am surprised that the enlarged port does NOT result in more fps - very surprising and yes, disappointing.  :(
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

Flattitude

Wow thanks for the info.  For starters the valve and piston were from Alchemy Airwerks.  Very fast and appears good quality.  I don't know how much the valve has been modified if any at all.  This is the valve and piston I ordered.

http://www.alchemyairwerks.com/store/p126/PUMPER_POWER_COMBO_-_FLAT_TOP_HIGHT_PERFORMANCE_VALVE___ADJUSTABLE__PISTON_DONE_RIGHT.html

I also did a Mellen extended probe. 

The transfer port was going to be next as well as a stronger hammer spring.   If I could mod the valve more I would consider it.  I have been here for a few weeks and honestly I have read till my eyes were crossed and still feel like I just scratched the surface.  It seems like there are so many mods to do that I don't want to just start doing them just to say I did but if they have real value which I am sure they all do I would like to do them. 

Pinning the valve is another one I have heard of and have a few links to threads but there are many.  I have no problem following instructions but I have a hard time going off board to figure them out.   I have been trying to bookmark as many links as I can but finding them using the search  usually brings a couple hundred threads to weed through. 

I appreciate the help and look forward to discussing it further.

WyoMan

It can be overwhelming for awhile but we all started the same way. I can still remember not knowing what a "valve" was...the airgun jargon doesn't help either.
Just enjoy it, shoot it, get to know it better and do more if/when you want. You're much further along than most would be after a few weeks...

More reading (guess I'll plug my own posts) - go to "Technical - pump pistols" and read "Building a pumper power plant"

I would like to talk you out of the stronger hammer spring. If you need to do something then try shimming the back of the hammer with some small washers (if you can't get a hammer spring guide that is). The stronger hammer spring is more wear and tear and affects (badly) the trigger pull and cocking effort.
A lighter valve spring will also help  :-*
The spring tuning of airguns is something that everyone is still learning - and I mean everyone!
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Flattitude

Quote from: WyoMan on February 24, 2016, 02:43:07 AM
It can be overwhelming for awhile but we all started the same way. I can still remember not knowing what a "valve" was...the airgun jargon doesn't help either.
Just enjoy it, shoot it, get to know it better and do more if/when you want. You're much further along than most would be after a few weeks...

More reading (guess I'll plug my own posts) - go to "Technical - pump pistols" and read "Building a pumper power plant"

I would like to talk you out of the stronger hammer spring. If you need to do something then try shimming the back of the hammer with some small washers (if you can't get a hammer spring guide that is). The stronger hammer spring is more wear and tear and affects (badly) the trigger pull and cocking effort.
The spring tuning of airguns is something that everyone is still learning - and I mean everyone!
Ok I will switch my search to a lighter valve spring.  Looks like I have more reading to do .  Thanks again Wyo. 

quickster47 †

Quote from: WyoMan on February 24, 2016, 02:43:07 AM

Springs in airguns still remains a mystery.  You think you learn one thing, understand it a bit and then wham, someone throws water all over your new found knowledge and you start over.  Sort of... ???

Springs in airguns cause you to bounce all around.  :D

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †