Chronographs

Started by CraigH, March 13, 2016, 06:06:24 PM

CraigH

I have been considering chronographs for a while, and none are completely what I want.  I was looking with great interest at the post by airmec within the "Single stroke 1377" topic on January 19, 2016 which has the picture of a spinning paper disk mechanical chronograph.  Thanks for that picture, airmec, which gave me something to think about during my many wake ups overnight and try to figure out the math in my head.  :)

Returning the the electronics, Here is what I know or believe to be true.  And any of them will work in varying ways.

Shooting Chrony - Have to add the Ballistic Printer or get the Gamma Chrony which includes the printer, both pricey; the Ballistic Software package seems more attuned to firearms cartridges and is pricey and does not include any reference to newer versions of Windows.  But the chronographs have been around for quite a while.  And there is always pencil and paper.

Caldwell - only attaches to an iPhone or iPad, not a PC, to run a software app.

Competition Electronics - somewhat concerned regarding the "+/- 1% accuracy" which is not in line with the first two.  Best appearing software package for air gun use and a good price, but is said not to work on Windows 10.

Since the CE software seems nice, I downloaded it and it seems to run on my Windows 10 laptop, at least to the point of having the USB dongle and trying to install its driver which is on the install CD.  So I will call CE again this week to see if this is where things fail, unless someone has successfully done this.

TIA for any replies.   I looked for another board to place this, but this seemed the best, let me know if it should be moved.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

quickster47 †

Most all of the chronographs these days are quite accurate, at least for what we are measuring.  No matter which one you get, everything you measure from here on out will be relative to the one you have.  Most of the time we use them is to measure the difference in FPS/FPE after we have made a change.

So pick the one you want and use it and be happy with it.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mudduck48

We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

CraigH

That is interesting.  If it turns out the CE cannot work with Windows 10, I might looks for a VERY cheap used Windows 7 machine to use the CE software.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

Gary

Craig, the Caldwell also works on an Android phone, tablet, etc. You can send the shot string by email or text to other devices. I send mine to my email so I can store them on the computer and print them if needed. HTH.

tinker

I use the Pro Chronograph Digital and the Digital link.  The digital link connects via blue tooth to your phone / tablet.  Runs on either Apple or Android. It will call out the fps if the voice option is used and displays each shot on the the screen of connected blue tooth device.  I haven't had any problems and the Digital link app. Can send the shot strings and summary via email.

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

CraigH

Thanks Gary and Glen,

I should have said I don't have "iphon, ipad, or other smart phone".  I'm only going to use the chronograph inside near the laptop.  I may have to consider a tablet, rather than another laptop.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

1377x

I have a f-1 Chrony with a chrono cable. It attaches to my laptop records everything there. Shot string and some other stuff
closed mouths dont get fed

airmec

Hi Craig, thanks for the kind words! There are a lot of options when you're shopping for a chronograph, and there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I guess it all boils down to identifying your real needs, within the limits of your budget. Personally, when I'll have the money, I'll go with the Shooting Chrony, probably the F1, I don't need more. Just my 0.02$

P.S.: If you like to read (and tinker), have a look at this: http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic54851.html
Too many projects, not enough time

1377 x2
2240 - bone stock
2240 - 12'' barrel, sbk, MIM sight/front stock blade
2240 - 10'' LW .177, sbk, Williams sight/front FO, 2-stage trigger and more
357-6
C41
Benjamin EB22 & HB22

1377x

This cable works with shooting chrony chronographs
http://www.chronoconnect.com/

You will like it saves on writing down strings does averages high low spread,basically does the math and writing for you
closed mouths dont get fed

CraigH

1377x,

Thanks!  Looks like an excellent program.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

DHunter

A friend just gave me a Caldwell crony.  I don't know when he bought it, but he never even opened the package.

Well, it doesn't work.  It just gives the -[ ]- display, which doesn't change when I shoot through it.  I've tried indoors with LED lighting, and outdoors on a sunny day, in the sun, and in the shade, on the mps and fps settings, and there's never a reading.  One time I got the Err 2 display and one time I got the Err 3 display, but usually it's just the -[ ]- and never any numbers.  I thought maybe the .22 pellets were too small for it, so I tried throwing small chunks of concrete through it.  Still nothing.  The manual doesn't give any hints.  Do any of you have any ideas?  I do not use a smartphone, and all I want is the numerical display on the unit.  I don't need any connectivity or min/max or standard deviation or anything else, just the speed of the most recent shot.

JMJinNC

I use a Combro CB-625 Mk4, with a cable to connect it to my laptop.

+/- 1% accuracy compared to an F-1 shooting chrony.

Attaches to the barrel, no additional lighting required... ever

JMJ
John

mr007s

Quote from: DHunter on January 12, 2021, 09:30:17 PM
A friend just gave me a Caldwell crony.  I don't know when he bought it, but he never even opened the package.

Well, it doesn't work.  It just gives the -[ ]- display, which doesn't change when I shoot through it.  I've tried indoors with LED lighting, and outdoors on a sunny day, in the sun, and in the shade, on the mps and fps settings, and there's never a reading.  One time I got the Err 2 display and one time I got the Err 3 display, but usually it's just the -[ ]- and never any numbers.  I thought maybe the .22 pellets were too small for it, so I tried throwing small chunks of concrete through it.  Still nothing.  The manual doesn't give any hints.  Do any of you have any ideas?  I do not use a smartphone, and all I want is the numerical display on the unit.  I don't need any connectivity or min/max or standard deviation or anything else, just the speed of the most recent shot.

Did it come  with a manual, have you read it? Are you shooting thru the correct end? There is a minimum sped a chrony will record. You cant throw concrete chunks fast enough