Too much free time.....cleaning up the workbench

Started by BigTinBoat, March 18, 2016, 08:14:26 PM

BigTinBoat

Well I had a little too much free time so I started "cleaning" up my bench. Was noticing all the "spare" parts and such that I had laying around. Putting them together I realized I had enough parts to build a 22xx gun....and I had this xtra 13ci bottle. What to do? Gears start spinning and I start googling.

Went to ebay and got a PB Drop forward mount for $10 and a 13" 2500psi hose for $10. Had an order going to Ccrosman so another $11 for a shoulder stock and about $11 for two extra barrel bands. The 1/2" copper pipe for shroud was scrap left over from a plumbing job.

Here's what I came up with. The barrel is a .22 standard Disco barrel I picked up a while ago. It's regulated at 1500psi and with not much "on board" volume it throws 21.1 H&N at 715FPS for 24fpe. The JSB 15.9's are running 810. I was just hoping to just get 20FPE.

I "pinned" the sided of the valve just to keep it in position for consistent hammer strike. The valve head itself is tapped and threaded 1/8"npt for a foster fitting so no pressure on the tube at all. I did massage the valve and sleeved it so that I could use a modified MRod poppet.

Velocity is real consistent and the can on the end from Rich makes it really quite. And it's 6.5lbs with the bottle and scope. Wind is blowing 30mph today so no chance yet to sight it in. I'll likely switch out the scope for the Hawke 2-7 on my pumper and build a cheek riser but that's for another day.

quickster47 †

Now that is some excellent use of spare parts and a great put-together build.  And it looks darn nice as well.

Good job and glad you got a great shooter out of those laying around collecting dust parts.   :-* :-* :-*

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

tinker

That's an awfully nice build with spare parts and with nice numbers to boot :-*

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

mudduck48

We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

BigTinBoat

Thanks Guys - I was most surprised when I could crank the 21.14's up to just about 725, I then backed the adjuster off just a bit to hopefully get some decent efficiency.

Most trouble I had was keeping the brass sleeve inside the valve. I had seen where most guys just used super glue, but mine was only holding for about 50 shots. Then it would come out the back, resulting in about 1/2 velocity and severe "burping". I wound up using JB weld and inserting the tube to where I could see about 1/16" of an inch thru the exhaust port. Once it dried overnight I "flared" the tube on the inside the valve with a rounded punch to there should be no way it can come out of the valve now.

ped

looks a good use for spares and packs a punch
to sleeve down a 5/32 valve down to take a 1/8" stem I drill the back of the valve and tap it m8 then use a piece of brass m8 threaded bar with a 1/8" hole through it
I also add a bs006 oring trapped between the valve casing and the m8 threaded bushing
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

BigTinBoat

Quote from: ped on March 18, 2016, 09:34:08 PM
looks a good use for spares and packs a punch
to sleeve down a 5/32 valve down to take a 1/8" stem I drill the back of the valve and tap it m8 then use a piece of brass m8 threaded bar with a 1/8" hole through it
I also add a bs006 oring trapped between the valve casing and the m8 threaded bushing

great idea. Never thought of tapping it. Wouldn't move then.

bgmcgee

"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

ped

Rualert

Nice work, and that's a nice shooter for a "parts gun". I too am going to try sleeve a valve for a 1/8" poppet. But that's for another thread once I get a few more parts in hand.

Nice build, and great use of your spares.

Casey

Tater

Great build BTB. I wonder how many shots you'll get with that?

If the front part of the stock riser/cheek weld was a couple inches forward, you could almost tuck the bottle in there.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

WyoMan

That is a really impressive "spare parts" build.  :-* I cleaned up my work bench a while back - then I couldn't find the stuff I found ;D
Good to see some of your work, Robert  :-*
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

BillK

Now, that is sure a slick looking build.  It just has a "flow' to its' lines.  Really good numbers also.. :-*
I do like it......
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

BigTinBoat

Quote from: ped on March 18, 2016, 10:04:39 PM
only pics I have on file

So it that a "valve extension" you put on the front of the XT to get more volume? for more FPE? If so kinda neat idea.........I still have mine, but it's set at 12FPE.

ped

it is the entire front of the valve is plenum-to do this I had to shorten the disco rear valve case by 5mm so I could over lap the joint and still have a good surface area for the front transfer block to attach and it also does away with the double o ring valve connection
allows me to run at 800psi with a choked walther barrel and still run at 11.5fpe