Adjustable Extended Probe

Started by quickster47 †, April 05, 2016, 11:49:28 PM

CraigH

It is truly a small space. .....  Something JUST popped into my mind for the retraction.  An interior axial groove in the bolt with a stubby pin running in the groove and 90 degree radial grooves at each end to hold the rod/screw at each end of its travel.  But a very difficult to impossible micro machining operation; there is so very little room.    ???

How about a very coarse thread, say 4 tpi, on a rod.  Two turns would retract the probe 1/2 inch.   :D   But difficult to isolate the retraction from precise pellet seating.   Hrmm
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

quickster47 †

Quote from: CraigH on April 17, 2016, 03:36:30 AM
How about a very coarse thread, say 4 tpi, on a rod.  Two turns would retract the probe 1/2 inch.   :D   But difficult to isolate the retraction from precise pellet seating.   Hrmm

At one time I did some robot consulting for Disney World and still have some left over pieces parts of which are some stepper motor shafts that might be useful.  Now to find them bad boyz.

You know you have all these parts for the longest time and you just recently saw them but when you go to get them, you can't find them for nothing.  :(

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

JMJinNC

Just an FYI - a long lead thread like that will slide back by itself with any pressure unless you lock it. So when you go to seat the pellet it must be locked.

What about spring loading the probe so that is will retract back under spring force. Have the back end of the probe rest against the bolt handle. Once the pellet is seated and the bolt closed, unscrew the bolt handle until it clears the probe and the probe will spring backwards.

Resetting this system is the hard part as you will have to pull or push the probe back into position, and there is precious little room to be unscrewing the bolt handle whilst maintaining good pressure on the bolt o-ring.

Just a thought.

JMJ

John

quickster47 †

Quote from: JMJinNC on April 18, 2016, 05:53:29 PM
Just an FYI - a long lead thread like that will slide back by itself with any pressure unless you lock it. So when you go to seat the pellet it must be locked.

What about spring loading the probe so that is will retract back under spring force. Have the back end of the probe rest against the bolt handle. Once the pellet is seated and the bolt closed, unscrew the bolt handle until it clears the probe and the probe will spring backwards.

Resetting this system is the hard part as you will have to pull or push the probe back into position, and there is precious little room to be unscrewing the bolt handle whilst maintaining good pressure on the bolt o-ring.

Just a thought.

JMJ

Gosh darn, some of these ideas are awesome!  Love all this great input.  :-\ :-*

What I'm really needing now is some young, enthusiastic mechanical engineers to take these ideas and work on them.  Guess I'll ne visiting Tennessee Tech University and speak to an old friend of mine who is in charge of the engineering department.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

JMJinNC

Quote from: quickster47 on April 18, 2016, 07:34:39 PM
Gosh darn, some of these ideas are awesome!  Love all this great input.  :-\ :-*

What I'm really needing now is some young, enthusiastic mechanical engineers to take these ideas and work on them.

Carl

What's wrong with an old but enthusiastic mechanical engineer in NC?  ???

JMJ

John

quickster47 †

Quote from: JMJinNC on April 18, 2016, 09:35:45 PM
What's wrong with an old but enthusiastic mechanical engineer in NC?  ???

JMJ

Well, nothing at all.  Are you willing to relocate?  Can't offer any benefits other than all the shooting you can handle.  Plus we do feed pretty good.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

JMJinNC

;)

I can't relocate, but happy to work remotely. The only benefit I need is executing a successful design.

How about this - extended probe spring loaded to pop backwards when released. The release mechanism us a small cross-sliding bolt that sits behind the bolt handle. It is held in place (and holding the probe forward) by the internal bore of the steel breech and is spring loaded to pop outwards to the same side as the bolt handle.

You slide the bolt forward & when you rotate the bolt closed (30°, IIRC), the cross-slide bolt aligns with the handle slot in the breech and pops out, allowing the extended probe to slide back under it's own spring force.

To reset, you would need a resetting rod out the back of the breech. Push the probe forward, rotate the bolt up 30°, thus forcing the cross-bolt back behind the probe, then pull back bolt as normal.

The end of the crossbolt that engages the internal bore of the breech will have to be angled or a full radius (ball nose) in order to successfully get reset by rotating the bolt back.

Thoughts?
John

quickster47 †

Quote from: JMJinNC on April 18, 2016, 10:19:03 PM
;)

I can't relocate, but happy to work remotely. The only benefit I need is executing a successful design.

How about this - extended probe spring loaded to pop backwards when released. The release mechanism us a small cross-sliding bolt that sits behind the bolt handle. It is held in place (and holding the probe forward) by the internal bore of the steel breech and is spring loaded to pop outwards to the same side as the bolt handle.

You slide the bolt forward & when you rotate the bolt closed (30°, IIRC), the cross-slide bolt aligns with the handle slot in the breech and pops out, allowing the extended probe to slide back under it's own spring force.

To reset, you would need a resetting rod out the back of the breech. Push the probe forward, rotate the bolt up 30°, thus forcing the cross-bolt back behind the probe, then pull back bolt as normal.

The end of the crossbolt that engages the internal bore of the breech will have to be angled or a full radius (ball nose) in order to successfully get reset by rotating the bolt back.

Thoughts?

Okay Mister John, let me digest all this and get back to you.  There's lots of good stuff in this post.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

oldgearhead

If you have to revert to the 'older' style rear cocking handle, why not just re-cut the bolt handle breech slot to a short sided inverted 'T' In fact, why not make like a 'real' bolt action and be removable from the rear?  Maybe a new style breech is the best answer?
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

CraigH

Is this an open invitation?   ;)   Two 22 - 24 inch spring snow storms, not particular unusual here, are beginning to enervate.   :-X   It did energize me to get some work done on an air gun vs gardening.  OTOH, one big crabapple tree I got to an excellent shape is devastated and needs serious rework (or more).   :(
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

JMJinNC

Quote from: oldgearhead on April 18, 2016, 10:26:37 PM
If you have to revert to the 'older' style rear cocking handle, why not just re-cut the bolt handle breech slot to a short sided inverted 'T' In fact, why not make like a 'real' bolt action and be removable from the rear?  Maybe a new style breech is the best answer?

Yup, a Marauder breech would make it a lot easier to execute.

JMJ
John

quickster47 †

QuoteQuote from: oldgearhead on Today at 03:26:37 PM
Quote from: JMJinNC on April 18, 2016, 10:32:53 PM
Yup, a Marauder breech would make it a lot easier to execute.

JMJ

I looked at the Marauder P-Rod breech once before and decided ti wasn't worth the effort.  Looks like I might now have to eat some of my own words and have another, more serious look at the P-Rod breech.  Especially in light of all the new developments we are trying to implement.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 †

Started working today on my two piece bolt to house the innards I will be using for my newest idea for the AEP.

Next step will be to open up the inside of the probe to hold the spring.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

airmec

Say Carl, what's happening with your project? Have you had the opportunity to work on it again? I've been following that with great interest :-* :).
Too many projects, not enough time

1377 x2
2240 - bone stock
2240 - 12'' barrel, sbk, MIM sight/front stock blade
2240 - 10'' LW .177, sbk, Williams sight/front FO, 2-stage trigger and more
357-6
C41
Benjamin EB22 & HB22

CraigH

Really like the two-piece bolt.  Will help a lot if I follow, in general, where it is headed.     :-*
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado