2240 Stubby question

Started by beejwest, May 13, 2016, 11:47:20 PM

beejwest

I have seen several stubby threads and read through them with great interest.  I have almost all my parts for a stubby build but have one question regarding the valve.  Does the cartridge face/seal of the stock valve need to be modified to accept the 8 gram carts?
Full blown Crosmaniac.

mudduck48

We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

beejwest

Thanks for the link.  Prices look OK.  Obviously want the unthreaded but will the valve handle those or does anything need to be changed to make it work?
Full blown Crosmaniac.

Trophyhunter49

CraigH

Should be no problem whatsoever, but Carl will probably confirm with experience of his build.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Trophyhunter49

beejwest

Full blown Crosmaniac.

quickster47 †

8 gr. cartridges work fine with the OEM valve.  On one of mine I also used the ProTop valve top by AR which worked great.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

bgmcgee

Pick Quickster's mind. He's the man when it comes to stubby builds. :-*
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

quickster47 †

Just refinished the grips on my SC Stubby.  Also working on an aluminum main tube for the stubby to reduce the weight just a little.  And no I have not weighed it but I will this weekend.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

beejwest

You make those grips?  I emailed Cothran about the SS main tube, waiting to see if they still have them.  I can't resist going polished or brushed on mine.  Definitely love your blued barrel and muzzle brake.  Is that brake off the disco, or just one of the CCS style brakes with a fiber optic on top?
Full blown Crosmaniac.

quickster47 †

Quote from: beejwest on May 14, 2016, 02:54:52 AM
You make those grips?  I emailed Cothran about the SS main tube, waiting to see if they still have them.  I can't resist going polished or brushed on mine.  Definitely love your blued barrel and muzzle brake.  Is that brake off the disco, or just one of the CCS style brakes with a fiber optic on top?

Those grips came from an old forum member NorthStar.  Believe it or not, he made them by hand and left all the finishing work up to me.

The muzzle brake/sight mount is a Disco item and readily available from Crosman.  Make sure you get the sight mounting screw which is a special 5-40 type with a small head.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

beejwest

Excellent.  Does the barrel need a flat milled like the factory crosman barrels to accomodate the sight?
Full blown Crosmaniac.

quickster47 †

Quote from: beejwest on May 14, 2016, 04:51:59 AM
Excellent.  Does the barrel need a flat milled like the factory crosman barrels to accomodate the sight?

Not necessary but I did mine anyway just to  make sure the brake did not move.  The brake uses the 8-32 x 1/8" set screw just like the OEM barrel band

And besides, I wanted it to look like a factory barrel as much as possible.   ;)

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

WyoMan

That stubby has a unique appeal... to me anyway  :-* Did you spring tune for the shorter barrel? thanks
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance