Pellet weight for the 2300KT .22

Started by Weiand, April 30, 2017, 02:24:08 AM

Weiand

Scope still not fully dialed in, not a lot of shots fired from it yet & really only one kind of pellet used so far.
The question now though, is what would be the range in pellet weight. Lowest to highest.
For the most part, it will just be hitting the target an cans in the garage at 20 feet, which is the range that works well in the garage, with SOME longer range outside and pesting of small mouse/rat size pests.

The Pistol...

Crosman 2300KT .22
14.6" Crosman Barrel  with  Long Steel Breech  with  Black Muzzle Brake
2x Pistol Scope

Trigger has been adjusted all the way down to make as light as possible, but have not cut off any coils yet.
Mellon Air RPA installed, turned in below the surface of the end cap. Still has the stock hammer spring as the RPA did not come with a stiffer spring.
(So yea, I'm on the hunt for a stiffer spring, which is now easy-ly changed.)
  MY thought on that would be to get one as stiff as possible, but then would prob have to change to a SS hammer, which I've seen 2 diff type's on Alcemy
   which then would need to figure out how to remove/change that.

Oh... I sorta got off track.... THIS one is 'bout pellet weight...

Currently, I have for pellets for this pistol

Daisy Precision Max .22 Cal, 14.0 Grains, Pointed, 250ct   ...... Have only fired a couple of these
Crosman Premier .22 Cal, 14.3 Grains, Hollowpoint, 500ct  ....... Have fired prob 50 of these.

As said, scope still needs fine tuning. I've got it "close" just needing more time to spend getting it where it needs to be.

With no Chrono to really "know" what any of them are doing, it's all guess work.

Looking thru PA's website to give me a look at the options in weight, I'm seeing a range of
9 g to 34 g

To "me" anything below 12 g or so, seems like it would just scream down range. Not a very hard hit, but would penetrate quite well.
I'm "guessing" 13 to 14, 'mebbe 15 prob the "optimal" for speed & smack.
It seems 16 to 18 or 19 would be a lot slower but hit harder.
Much above that, I'm not really sure it would have the power to do much with it.
But 'gain, without a chrono I really don't know what it's doin' with the 14.3's. I can only guess with the barrel an the hammer spring an how much the screw is turned in
that the 14.3's prob are in the 580 - 600 fps range.

I'm sure someone here has a similar setup that has had a chance to try out diff weights & 'mebbe e'en ran thru a chrono.
(If chrono's wern't so far out of my budget, I'd get one to make life easy'r on me)

So any thoughts? Suggestions? Others that have a similar set up an the weights they use?

an well of course, will be more "new" posts for the very much HAVE TO mod more an get more outta it on the way soon.
Never 'nuff pellet's...

BillK

Most of my Crosmans like the JSB line of pellets.  The 13.43 in the CO2 guns & heavier in pumps and PCPs.
Pyramid Air seems to have the best prices & definitely the very best packaging. 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Weiand

"heavier in pumps"  THAT seems to be just that  much more reason to get the 13xx in .22 with sum power mods to it so it hits that much harder :)
Never 'nuff pellet's...