Gamo whisper pellets

Started by Xgecko, May 17, 2017, 07:27:48 PM

Xgecko

My local Wally World had these on the shelf along with the Gamo Silent cat rifles. IMO they need a long barrel to shoot accurately the shot for crap from my modded 1377 but are my pellet of choice from my backpacker carbine/rifle. 10.5gr longer than most other pellets at this weight they also shoot flatter, this may be due to more engagement with the barrel rifling or just the added projectile length. Regardless they shot 2-4 inches higher at 30yards than anything else I have (10.6 Crosman rn, 8.2 Crosman pn and 7.9 Crosman  wc). I have only taken one Squirrel with them but that's due to gun selection not lack of hitting power ( I generally shoot squirrel with my pistol because of short range in the winter)
The earth without ART is just "eh"

Multigunner

I tried a tin of these not long ago and found them to be accurate so long as you sort through the tin to weed out deformed skirts and debris inside the skirt.

When I went back to Wally World to buy more I found the only tins they had in stock were full of culls. Mashed skirts were the least of the problems.

I noticed marks on the head that I didn't recognize at first then later when examining a fired pellet I realized those Gamo pellets had been fired at some point and just shoveled into the mix with new pellets.

That's not likely to have been an accident. Someone had to have done this to sabotage the shipment, most likely a disgruntled employee.

I've seen similar sabotage of .177 steel BBs I bought at Wally World many years ago. When I opened the jar rust and fragments of steel and copper poured out. There wasn't an intact BB in the whole jar.
I think these were Daisy BBs and I've heard that Gamo makes most Daisy branded pellets, not sure about the BBs though.

Its a good thing these Gamo 10.5 pellets come in a tin with see through lid. If I find any untampered with tins at the store I'm going to stock up on these. I don't think I'll be ordering any sight unseen though.

Xgecko

I won't order them because the best price I have seen online is twice what I paid at WW....I bought every can I could find last time. I will again because I like them

edit

the Whisper aspect of these pellets is also true I can hear an audible difference between these and a 10.6gr crosman pellet coming out of my 6.5" T0KO can

Xgecko

I was camping gear window shopping with my brother at cabela's and picked up a bunch of .177 pellets including a tin of 13gr newboy's that I am itching to try on a fluffy tailed rat. But the most interesting thing was that they had a single tin of GamoTS10 pellets which look like they come from the same mold as the whispers do. They weight .01gr less than the whisper which is likely the coating....ballistically I don't see a difference. I shot 5 of each at a steel plate nearly 50 yards away with no change in point of aim/impact. I think they make a little more noise but it's difficult for me to judge because my gun is already really really quiet. So a second opinion is probably needed to be sure. That said since noise isn't really an issue and the TS10's were $6 a tin at the time and only $8 on Amazon I may order a bunch

cobalt327

And here I thought the sound diff. was because they're subsonic through just about every .177 out there. My Gamo Shadow 1000 shoots them at 730 fps. No difference in sound between the Whispers and any other pellet through the Gamo, though. POI was a bit lower than POA at 30 yards (sighted in for CPHP 7.9gr).

ETA Could just be the difference using a springer.

Xgecko

Quote from: cobalt327 on May 21, 2017, 03:01:52 AM
And here I thought the sound diff. was because they're subsonic through just about every .177 out there. My Gamo Shadow 1000 shoots them at 730 fps. No difference in sound between the Whispers and any other pellet through the Gamo, though. POI was a bit lower than POA at 30 yards (sighted in for CPHP 7.9gr).

ETA Could just be the difference using a springer.

Oddly on my pumpers the Whispers and the TS10 have a higher point of impact than a similar weighted but shorter pellet....I shoot Crosman Premium 10.6gr round head pellets from my pistol and they are significantly lower than the Gamo pellet. I have some H&N Barracuda's to try out as soon as I get a day off as well

Multigunner

Checked Walmart yesterday and found they had a new batch of the Gamo Whispers. These appear to be free of the defects I found the last time I looked.
I picked up a fresh tin of these, though for now I'll keep these in reserve.
Hopefully this is a sign of improved quality control.

The POI of the Whisper is close to that of the Beeman wad cutters I've been using, but far enough from the center that I'd have to adjust my sights to compensate.
I'll test fire enough rounds to see which of my two .177 rifles group best with the whisper and adjust the sight of that gun. The other will be left sighted in for the Beeman wadcutters.
Only one of my .177 38T revolvers will accept the whisper into its chambers without excessive force in seating. That's Frankenstein, its sighted very closely for the whisper so I'll use the whisper in that revolver only. Franky gives a stronger impulse and higher velocity that the other revolver which is a completely stock later production version, so Franky is better suited to the heavier Whisper pellets.

Frankenstein gives excellent accuracy at 25 yards or more with practically any pellet so it can utilize the Whisper's long range performance a bit better.