Cost of mods

Started by BSAGunner, August 16, 2017, 03:46:26 AM

BSAGunner

Hello,
One can really get carried away with modding a 2240 now! The only things that's original on my pistol are the barrel and valve and I have replacements that I may yet install. I am afraid to tally the cost of these replacements but I had fun doing them lol! I think I could have saved the cost of the gun by just buying the parts only. Good thing I have no intention of offloading this piece.

CraigH

My 2240 Carbine has a stock tube, valve, and end cap.

My 1322 Carbine has a stock tube, grip panels, and forearm.

Never a good idea to add up the costs!    :)
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

BillK

Someone said: "Never explain - never complain" As mentioned I would add Never add up what you have in a Crosman mod. ;)

A year or so ago a guy listed his gun for sale at appx. 1/2 to 3/4 what he had into it.  He noted later that the gun didn't sell and so he parted it out piece by piece and got much more for it.

But,....How can you put a price on the joy & pride a guy has when a gun he built/modded shoots with the power and accuracy he intended?  ???

IMHO if's much better & a lot more pleasurable  to be "carried away" when you are around to enjoy the trip.   Go for it. :-* 
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

mghealeytr

Hobbies are for enjoyment, not for recovering cost of participating in them! 

Brutuz

Being married is expensive as well, especially when she has a day off from work and time to spend $$ but I wouldn't want to miss her for a second.

And I won't sell a 13xx or 22xx or variant EVER  :)
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

jebhoge

Yep, it's never about the price for the parts (unless you're a real horse trader and get stuff for way less than "retail")...it's about the satisfaction of YOUR end product. And you'll usually never get that money back. :)

arkmaker †

Without question, I have lost money on every gun I ever sold, including PB's........but so what! Every once in a while I get the urge to make parts and build them up, but when you come right down to it, I lost money even when I made a good portion of the parts myself.... not crying, just saying, it is what it is. I am about to loose some more money when I sell my Disco, Fusion, Titan and a 2240 carbine. Life is all about trade offs I guess.

Never will sell my 1740 or 114 or even my new 2400KT...... but still want a AA FT200 and a really nice springer  :-0
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Rualert

I still have if I'm not mistake all of my Crosman 22xx 17xx 13xx Sears 140 I think it is (would have to look, it generally stays in a nice humidity controlled safe, I may have changed some of them around, but I still have them. Have added to the collection, and have only one or two I might sell, but they are not my Crosmans, or Air Force guns. Plust the latest entry to the house belongs to my daughter and that will stay hers, and in the family. I agree with Rich, even when I make the majority of the custom parts I want, my way, they still cost even if the material is less the time to make even something that looks simple, can take much longer than expected. I wouldn't trade any of the time learning for the world. I don't plan to make parts unless my some decides to get a couple of CNC machines so we could maybe automate some, but it would take quite a few custom bits, and cre not to step on toes to truly get beyond break even, if that. It's all about our enjoyment of the sport, builds, and getting others infected with the sickness.  ;D ;D ;D

Casey

:-*

ShakyJake

It's fun and rewarding to me. :-*  And it's still cheaper than BASS fishing! ;)
What if your computer could do volunteer work?

Check out https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
(sponsored by IBM Corp)

Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home

JMJinNC

I only have 2 custom Crosmans but I made a spreadsheet of the mods, new parts, and custom fabricated parts (hours for machining & CAD) for each gun. A coworker asked how much to build him a custom gun like my 1377 carbine, so I showed him the spreadsheet. Pretty much ended that conversation!

No regrets though. Just the cost of development.

JMJ
John

Rualert

How very true Jake, and Jim I couldn't agree more. I butchered several words in my last post made when tired and half asleep. JMJ I agree I don't regret a single minute learning from the very beginning when I got my lathe to the time when I learned to cut threads on it, and how to deal with for me at least complex parts, the smaller ones seem to be the harder ones to make. I guess when one tries to use too heavy a hand the little stuff bites back. I still have no regrets as to any of the parts I have purchased, and those I have been lucky enough to make myself. I don't bother to create the cost spreadsheet, since I already know that would just be depressing, and might dent the enjoyment and fun of building these custom guns.

Casey