How many SSP 250 owners here?

Started by Multigunner, September 15, 2017, 06:45:25 AM

Multigunner

Just cut a deal for a NOS condition SSP250.
The seller got it from an out of business gun shop display, apparently never fired till he test fired it.

The gun looks perfect. I would not have even thought about buying another pistol at this time but when a friend was loading the 2240 I gave him his dog ran up and was right in the way of the muzzle before the safety was engaged.
I got to thinking then that it would be safer if one could load the chamber before cocking the piece and if necessary carry it loaded and not cocked till needed. The SSP250 with its swing out chamber and rear cocking knob seemed just the ticket.
The gun being long out of production and still in like new condition was the clincher.

This example has the .177 barrel. I understand that caliber conversion kits were available from Crosman at one time, in 5 mm (.20) as well as 5.5 mm (.22).

Anything I need to know or should be on the look out for?
Any recommendations on best pellet to use?

I noticed on EBAY there's an ad for replacement breech blocks for these, just the block with out the rubber seals. Price seemed within reason.
Should I go ahead and get a spare while they are available? Are these prone to damage?

ped

look on jg for loading gates as they tend to break easily bakers stock them also I believe
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

Multigunner

I'm definitely going to get a spare gate, and a .22 rubber seal as well.
I don't plan on converting to .22 any time soon but I already have a barrel I could use for the purpose if I decide to later on.

The SSP should be here Monday evening. If its as accurate as I hope it to be I'll leave it in .177.

Since its practically a cherry I don't plan to do any mods at all for the forseeable future other than to add a scope and try my shoulder stock on it at least once to explore its full potential.

I've read that these are fairly good for hunting small game as is. The factory velocity specs are promising and several reviews tell of velocities being very near those factory specs.
Up to 580 FPS with a 7.9 gr pellet at full cock sounds pretty good for up to squirrel size and cotton tail.

If the gun handles the Gamo 10.5 or similar heavy 4.5 pellets it should have much the same effect on game as the .22 2240.

Multigunner

The SSP 250 arrived this evening and it shoots okay other than the striker spring appears to have taken a set from being left cocked or half cocked for a very long time while it was in the display case. I'm told the owner of the shop developed vision problems and had to retire and close up the shop.

Cosmetically the gun looks brand new, with a nice copper toned grip and fore end. Accuracy is good enough for now but I'll have to get a new spring soon. The gun fires only at the full cock position. At full cock the velocity is a bit higher than from my 38T but probably less than from my 760. I'm guess 450-500 FPS.
It wasn't even shooting that well at first, not firing at all till I cycled it several times and the velocity increased steadily the more times I fired it. I figure the spring case is crusted with old packing grease than slowed down the striker till use got the grease broken up a bit.

Much as I hate to I'll have to strip the gun down for a through cleaning and lubrication.

Any suggestions on a good source for the proper striker spring for these guns?

PS
It just occurred to me that this pistol might be one of those down graded to give velocities of less than 500 FPS in order to be sold legally in Canada.

BillK

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Multigunner

Already downloaded the EVP and manual, plus the original manual was sent along with other paperwork.

I checked JG but they have no listing specifically for the SSP 250 but they do have parts for the 151 which are shared with the 250, just not the parts I think I'll need. They do have the shared valve in case that's a problem , but no mention of the valve spring.

WyattHurtts

I too am an SSP 250 owner. Found the gun in a clean up of my own garage. Years since id seen it , I took it in for a seal kit and loader replacement since it was broken. Got it back and ten shots later the loader broke off and shot onto the ground when fired. Taking it back to be checked for error in re assembly possibly? Perhaps valve malfunction? Maybe just a faulty loader, not sure. I am thinking it may be safer and more cost effective to just change the breech altogether since im having issues and the loader is getting to somewhat of a "white whale" in the parts department anyway. Looking for any documented mods for a solid breech conversion. Thinking about converting fro Co2 at the same time while the gun is torn down. PCP/HPA or just a remote bottle setup? Paintball tank setup maybe? I am unfamiliar with what is most commonly used or what systems are antiquated in the industry. I just recently bought a Marauder PCP and it seems to be a terrific setup. Compromising ease, performance, air capacity, and accuracy. I can build guns for specific needs, or buy whatever I need these days. Whats the fun in that? Thought this pistol might be a warm-up build for me to cut my teeth on. Figure out where to get information and parts from, etc.
Some rides are just too short......

Multigunner

Don't give up on it just yet. Mine is shooting dandy these days. velocity increased as I got it properly broken in.
Accuracy is exceptional.

There are after market aluminum or brass loader gates. You could try one of those, but I suspect there's some other difficulty causing your gate failures that should be addressed first.
Its not unusual to have the gate not fully close, always check that its fully home before firing.

If you are using .22 pellets make sure your barrel is .22 rather than the rarer .20/5mm bore. These could be had in .177, .20/5mm or .22/5.5mm.