My "Long Range" 1377 Setup--(edited with pics)

Started by sscoyote, September 28, 2017, 02:48:02 AM

sscoyote

Had a fun time in archery camp with my 1377 air pistol this past week during midday downtimes. This rig has the 2X Centerpoint on it, that by the luck of the stars hosts the old Tasco Stoney Point Target Turret perfectly (The scope has 150 MOA total turret travel in it). The only problem with it is that each numbered line represents 5-.25 MOA clicks, and not 4. So i had to do some math and determined that any calcs would be 3/4ths value for the turret to match up. So i also measured the plex post tip from reticle axis subtension at 17 MOA. So after zeroing at 20 yds. I went to 50 yds. and shot at a rock with a long wide sandy slope below it. The impact was 1.5 plex post tip units below it. So dialed 3/4ths of 25 MOA= ~ 19 into the turret and came very close to the rock. That was fun! Did the same for 30 and 40, and screwed around at camp shooting stuff-fun! Last day we were driving out and decided to try 75 yds. I guessed 50ish MOA and my buddy had to spot with 8X binocs since 7.5 gr. pellet doesn't give enuf energy to see a signature at that distance in the gravel i was shooting in with a 2X pistol scope. He found a rock at 75, and after a shot or two correcting via his calls i hit the sucker according to him. Yippee! Then i reverse-turretted to 20-yd. zero once again, and nailed a shiny tiny pebble maybe 3X the size of the pellet (good turret functionality). Actually saw that shot through the optic. Love this rig and setup, especially since I now know the scope works well.

Anybody know how to load pics without Photobucket?

jmarchitect

Thats good shooting! I'm looking at scopes for my 1377 but will probably keep it to a red-dot scope for close work. I use the attach file option for photographs but have to take them into Photoshop first to shrink them to 120kb size.

sscoyote

Thanks much Architect--i'll try it.

sscoyote

You da man Architect--Worked, Yippee! :-*

jmarchitect

My pleasure fella! Good to see another 1377 with scope blocks on the barrel. I'm going to have to do the same thing as my phase 1 1377 doesn't have scope rails on the steel breech.

sscoyote

Yes sir--have found the Intermount works OK. At least it hasn't moved on me...yet. I've actually put some of these on airguns in the Philippines, and none have had any problems. Not crazy that the 2 halves don't always line up perfectly, but doesn't seem to have affected the performance of the system. I shimmed the back bottom of the rear ring with .05" plastic , and now have about 90 MOA useable according to the Bushnell Grid Boresighter I checked it with. I'm not sure if I trust the Centerpoint turret perfectly though. Appears to drag some as I run it up and down in spots, and it turns without moving at the ends of the adjustment. May have to replace it with a 4X Simmons that I rigged a vial cap target turret on. Nice and light optic for the Intermount. We'll see.

sscoyote

Appears as though the turret adjustment was at the end of it's range. So I stuck .05ish" plastic shim in the bottom of the rear ring to gain ~90 MOA of UP, and it appeared to be much more consistent twisting the turret and watching the reticle move against a Bushnell Grid Boresighter's reticle. Went out today for some more testing. Tried some 10.5 gr. Gamo Silent Cats that produced a 1.1" group at 40 yds. at 400 fps mv chronoed @ 10 pumps. Went to 50 at 37 MOA UP from 20-yd. zero and it gave a 4" 4-shot group--not bad. Buddy of mine and I were shooting at a paint can and I was hitting it maybe 30-50% of the time. It was great. Best part was rezeroing the turret at 20 once again and nailed another pebble. Gawd I love this little rig!

sscoyote

A little addendum here. Since installing the shim I now have 160 MOA travel in this turret setup and returns to zero just fine. Oughtta' allow me to reference shooting beyond 100 yds. according to Chairgun.

sscoyote

Just a little more here. Went out today and shot in great conditions, and found the Benjamin Discovery 10.5's netted me 4 shots into .5" at 20 yds. Also the German wadcutter Match style ZS Special pellets pictured above went into .5 @ 20 also. Went to 50 yds. and was hitting a paint can top 1 out of 4. Then discovered the pivot pin had worked itself loose. Pressed it back in again at home with an arbor press. Will watch out for that next time. Put a little more plastic shim between barrel and barrel band, and that seems to have arrested the barrel twist it finally developed.