Which Pellets?

Started by Maury, January 05, 2018, 12:57:54 AM

Maury

As a total newbie with a newly acquired 'vintage' 1377,  my shooting is pretty much confined to a 20 or so foot indoor 'range'.... actually it is our apartment hallway which becomes my shooting range when my wife is out of the house.   My question is about pellet choice.  Given my shooting situation (for now anyway),, will the shape of the pellet (ie: hollow point, pointed, wad cutter, etc) make any difference?  Also will I notice any difference between higher priced pellets and the less expensive ones?  Suggestions most appreciated.  Thanks!

nervoustrigger

At a distance of only 7 yards, most pellets should group well.  Try a tin of the ubiquitous Crosman Premier Hollow Points from Walmart for starters, then order a tin of the RWS Basic wadcutters.   They are the best inexpensive pellet I've found.  Very consistent quality from month to month and year to year.  Unfortunately can't say the same for any other inexpensive pellet.  Another benefit is they are 7.0gr so you can still achieve a respectable velocity for shooting at modest ranges with a pistol...say, out to 25 yards or so. 

Maury

I have been using Crosman 'Premier' Hollow Points and they seem to work fairly well, but of course I don't have any experience to compare them.  Will order a tin of the RWS Basic wad cutters you suggested.  Thanks!

BillK

If you are near a Walmart you can get free ship to store for many RWS pellets.  It's a good deal.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

plasticclassic

I agree with trying the Crosman Premiers first, I have tried several different ones between two calibers, .177 and .22., and have never been disappointed. If you look under this text in my signature you will see my 1377. I worked on it for years to get it just right, and to upgrade nearly every part. In the end I still choose the pellet that I started with when it had no mods at all, that would be Crosman Destroyer EX pellets that run about $3 a tin at Walmart. They load easy, hit hard and overall quality is plenty good enough for me. They can group within a dime at ten yards if I use a rest and iron sights.

You can get cheap pellets at Amazon if Walmart isn't handy. Pyramid Air has a buy 3 get one free deal, and you can get a ten percent off coupon code just for signing up with them.

Multigunner

Beeman Coated Wadcutters work best in every .177 gun I've tried them in.