old 1377

Started by Jimbo, April 02, 2018, 01:45:19 AM

Jimbo

My brother just gave me an old air pistol that he's had for years and hasn't messed with it in a long time. It's a model 1377 .177 cal. and it doesn't have a bolt handle but it has a sliding sleeve that has a slotted screw that goes into the bolt probe. It says American Classic on it. It doesn't work at all and the pumping arm is just floatin in the breeze. He had put an extended plastic stock on it to make it like a carbine  but it's cracked where the screws tighten it done. I'm debating whether I wanna mess around with it or not. I certainly don't like that sliding sleeve. I'm wondering what year it was made and what I should do with it. Any suggestions or help would be just great!

Multigunner

You can convert these to bolt action. it requires a replacement receiver and bolt.

If the pump arm is not worn out or damaged the gun may be resealed.

Parts aren't that expensive.

If the basic parts are all there and not damaged these can be modded into very nice custom guns.

CraigH

There are three variations of the 1377 (non "C" versions).

Basically:

- steel breech, sliding cover, rear cocking, magnet to hold BB's to the bolt
- plastic breech, sliding cover, rear cocking, magnet to hold BB's to the bolt
- plastic breech, sliding cover, rear cocking, no magnet to hold BB's - pellets only

Not sure that the current Crosman steel breech and bolt kit will work on 1377's (non "C") - seem to recall there is a slight difference in the port location.     ???
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Jimbo

The serial # begins with 382 so that tells me it was made in March of 1982 correct?

plasticclassic

You have a classic on your hands. You should consider restoring it to working condition with some new Crosman parts, shine it up a little, and enjoy it as is.
      You probably need about ten dollars worth of parts (from Crosman) to have it back holding air and shooting again. I would say it needs a new pump cup seal, an inner and outer valve oring, a valve stem, and an oring for the bolt. Capof can walk you through the disassembly and reassembly process. There are some great YouTube videos for it also. If you want to replace the grips or stock, there are lots of options for that too, from 7 or 8 dollars and up. If you take the front grip screw off you will be able to see if it has a brass or an aluminum valve, for that age it should be brass, if so hang on to that valve, it's worth about 25 bucks because all of the newer ones have aluminum valves and the brass valve is more desirable because it doesn't corrode over time like the aluminum might.
     In my opinion it is just easier to start with a brand new one if you want to do a lot of modding on a 1377. They can be had for less than forty bucks on Amazon other places.

Jimbo

I was able to find on line the parts diagram for it and I printed it off but I can't find a parts list( telling you what the parts are called). If I'm gonna order parts from Crosman I gotta put a part # to the name.

plasticclassic

Just to be sure, can someone help him with part numbers for this model year, I don't have one that early.

BillK

West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Multigunner

JG Airguns has the original plastic replacement receivers for this model pretty cheap. If you receiver locking surface is worn, and most are to some extent, you should replace it while parts are still to be found.

Some earlier versions used a metal receiver.

Not sure about the problems with converting to bolt action. IIRC you must use a new style barrel to match the new style receiver, the old barrel doesn't fit. Not sure if theres any other problems.
A friend has one and I asked around long ago about such a conversion.

Many prefer the older rear cocking knob combined with a newer style bolt. I like the rear cocking knob feature of my SSP 250.

Some of the finest looking Crosman pistol carbines use the rear knob feature.

Restoring to original specs may be more your style though.

The older shoulder stock does not fit the newer pistols, theres an extra locator pin on the newer pistol frames that the older stock is not cut for. The newer stocks should fit the older frames.

mudduck48

Jimbo, if you want this gun fixed, send it to me and I will make it work again. All it will cost you is parts and shipping. :-*
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Jimbo

If I'm gonna do what I think I'm gonna do I'm gonna take my time and really research this good. I started on my 2260 awhile back and it was so intimidating at first but now I can take that sucker apart and put it back together in my sleep, thanks to all of you!

rangerfredbob

The shoulder stock is like $11 from Crosman parts department, and if you want grip panels the marauder pistol or 1701 panels are nice and only like $3 a side...

If memory serves you need everything above the tube to swap from old to new, which includes:
-barrel
-breech (might include two parts, the top and bottom if sticking to the plastic breech, if not get all the parts for a steel breech or the breech kit in whatever caliber you want including bolt and bolt O ring, you can mix match those off of different models with steel breech like 2260 or Discovery/Maximus even with the plastic breech)
-transfer port

I think that should do it... if ordering from Crosman not a bad idea to buy a spare valve, it's like $7 for the assembly even if you just need the parts an assembly isn't bad...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

Jimbo

Would I be better off ordering parts from JG airguns or from crosman? As soon as I can find something that tells me the part # and the name of the part I think I'm just gonna order what I need to get it working again. When I went to print off the parts schematics for my marauder and my 2260 I got the parts list also. So On one page I saw the part # and the other page it said what that part was. For some reason I can only get the schematics sheet on this gun.

mudduck48

Here are the numbers to all the parts. Click on Parts Diagram.
https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us/articles/203542970-1377-Owner-s-Manual-EVP-1981-1998-
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.