2300 w/LW 10" barrel- choked or not?

Started by cobalt327, May 14, 2018, 05:10:12 AM

cobalt327

Just inspected a 2300S and a 2300KT, both w/LW 10" barrels in .177. Neither are choked. Now for me that's not an issue. But if someone would have asked what I thought they'd have before I saw these two, I'd have said they were most likely choked.

Can anyone confirm or deny that they were choked from Crosman or not?

Thanks, Mark

ETA- One has the 2 screw frame, it was bought about 06-2010. The other has the 3 screw frame ca. 2013.

CraigH

Interesting information, Mark.   I do not know the answer.    I have a 2400KT with 14.6" LW barrel.    I just revisited the relevant CCS page and it states the LW barrels are choked.    I have not had it apart to test.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

arkmaker †

Sometimes a choked barrel may be hard to detect as it may only be squeezed by .001" .

Pushing a pellet through by hand???
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

cobalt327

I had used a tight fitting patch, this worked well to show me the barrel of my 853 was choked. Let me run a pellet through and see what I can feel. Will report back. If I cannot feel anything I'll be counting lands to see if the barrels are really LW.

cobalt327

Happy to report that I am full of it- the barrels are both choked. Rich, I knew when I patched them that I should have been using a pellet and I really have no excuse for not doing it that way, and then to top it off by showing my ignorance to the forum in Technicolor... not one of my prouder moments! Ahh well, such is life.    :)

Mark

BillK

^^Mark, I have been there & done that.  Probably have a T-shirt attesting it.^^  ;)
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

CraigH

Boy, glad that has not happened to me - at least not in the last hour!    ;D
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

arkmaker †

Quote from: cobalt327 on May 14, 2018, 06:02:06 PM
Happy to report that I am full of it- the barrels are both choked. Rich, I knew when I patched them that I should have been using a pellet and I really have no excuse for not doing it that way, and then to top it off by showing my ignorance to the forum in Technicolor... not one of my prouder moments! Ahh well, such is life.    :)

Mark

No biggie!! I could feel the choke on my 10" barrel with a cotton swab (well, atleast I thought I could), but needed a pellet to feel the choke on my longer barrel. Most of us have been there. Me? More than once!!! ;-)

At any rate, I sure hope  they shoot accurate for you! That's what counts......

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

cobalt327

I'm glad to hear I'm in such good company!! lol

I got a chance to try them out and so far, so good. The "KT" came with a rifle scope for target shooting using the taco hold. That's not at all the way I shoot so off w/the scope and on w/the open sights. The rear is a take-off from my CP1M, the front is a Daisy 953 barrel weight/FO front sight. My CP1 has that same front sight combo. Using a thin FO fiber helps.

The "S" was the biggest surprise. I usually do not shoot well w/peep sights, so I had ordered a notched blade for the Williams FP-GR before I ever shot the gun. But this sight came w/a Merit 3LS Master Disc w/adjustable aperture. That lets me shoot it normally w/a two handed hold even though Carl had used it taco style for target shooting. As long as the light is good this gun is amazing. No doubt the best shooting pistol I own, bar none. I'll have new photos of it soon. For now, this is the KT w/the open sights.

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

arkmaker †